SD card speed low after several months using it
12391 29 2021-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

I have my Pocket 2 since begining of december, and I've been using it even with the horrible tracking, until now.
Today, Pocket 2 started to give me an error about the SD card: ''SD card speed low'' and stops recording.  
Before someone asks, the sd card that I always use is SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB V30 A1, that it is supported and recomended for Pocket 2.
I even tried another sd card, and I've got the same error after, more or less, one minute recording, 4k 50fps.
Also, the sd card is fine. I tried on my Pocket 1 and it is working fine.

2021-2-19
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Had a similar problem with my Sandisk Ultra 128GB. It started giving SD card write speed slow errors after a year of use in Osmo Action. It does not show any errors on my pocket 1, but stops recording randomly. Unlike yours, my cameras have no issues with my other cards. All I can tell you is try formatting your cards in your pocket 2, sometimes it makes a difference.

PS: By the way sequential write speed of the alleged "slow" card measured on a pc is about 50MB/s, which is 4 times the speed of the highest bitrate these cameras can utilize.

2021-2-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, alexmbraMav. Thanks for reaching out! We're sorry to read about the difficulties you're encountering. Please check if you're only encountering this if there's small storage left on your microSD card. If you do, it is suggested to backup all your files and format your microSD card before using it again with the DJI Pocket 2.
2021-2-20
Use props
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Portugal

Well, it seams that the problem was caused because the Pocket was a little hot. After turned of and let cool down for a while, it is working again without problem.
2021-2-20
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

alexmbraMav Posted at 2-20 21:26
Well, it seams that the problem was caused because the Pocket was a little hot. After turned of and let cool down for a while, it is working again without problem.

Well that is good to know, at least there is a solution in your case. Since you have tried other cards and got the same errors, it must be the pocket 2 malfunctioning due to heat. But should it not come up with an approperiate warning about the excessive heat instead of card write speed ones ?
2021-2-20
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Yesterday after 5 mins recording 4k/24 high quality with handle connected I got SD card too slow at 18C room temperature and it stopped recording. I got earlier the same thing after 2 minutes recording time. Pocket 2 gets pretty hot but it should not behave like this. Before latest firmware I had no this kind of problem.

I don't even mention SD card, it is not problem.
2021-2-20
Use props
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Portugal

Aavalaakso Posted at 2-20 23:39
Yesterday after 5 mins recording 4k/24 high quality with handle connected I got SD card too slow at 18C room temperature and it stopped recording. I got earlier the same thing after 2 minutes recording time. Pocket 2 gets pretty hot but it should not behave like this. Before latest firmware I had no this kind of problem.

I don't even mention SD card, it is not problem.

"Before latest firmware I had no this kind of problem."

Same here.  Probably, a new bug caused by the latest firmware.
2021-2-22
Use props
alex belk
lvl.1
Poland

SD card writing speed slow. Shooting stopped

Hi, faced exactly the same problem with Osmo Action and Samsung evo+ 128Gb. Camera haven't been used for the while. Before the 2 months break it was fine.
The recording stops after 12 seconds on 4K/30 settings with warning. Switched to 2.7K/30 - unsuccessfully.
Tried to format the card, battery is almost full, the cam itself is not heated.
Today installed the latest firmware today, but the problem is still here.
upd. It works with Samsung PRO+ 32Gb, tested on 4K/60.

Could you please suggest how to handle this issue?

2021-2-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

It seems that the P2 can runs hotter than the OP at high res so card that works fine on the OP may have problem under extreme conditions especially if used under high temperature. Performance can also drop at high temp so  having a A2 instead of a A1 rating may also help. If you are using the P2 in high ambient temperature all the time. Just get the best/fastest high endurance card that you can (like those made for dashcam as they're made to operate under direct sunlight at high temperature. Here's what I use in my dashcam and probably what I would get for the P2 if I encounter the same problem.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-E ... 14314958&sr=8-8

2021-2-25
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

alex belk Posted at 2-25 08:21
Hi, faced exactly the same problem with Osmo Action and Samsung evo+ 128Gb. Camera haven't been used for the while. Before the 2 months break it was fine.
The recording stops after 12 seconds on 4K/30 settings with warning. Switched to 2.7K/30 - unsuccessfully.
Tried to format the card, battery is almost full, the cam itself is not heated.

Evo+ is a U1 card while the Pro+ is a U3. You'll need U3 for for 4K, maybe even 2.7K if in high ambient temperature.
2021-2-25
Use props
alex belk
lvl.1
Poland

Wiz33 Posted at 2-25 21:10
Evo+ is a U1 card while the Pro+ is a U3. You'll need U3 for for 4K, maybe even 2.7K if in high ambient temperature.

Well, it is marked as U3 on the packaging and card itself.
and as i said, this card has been working fine since day of purchase for 3 months.

2021-2-26
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

alex belk Posted at 2-26 07:19
Well, it is marked as U3 on the packaging and card itself.
and as i said, this card has been working fine since day of purchase for 3 months.
[view_image]

Seem the Evo+ comes in 2 speed grade. 128GB and above are U3 and 32 and 64 are U1 but the speed rating on the 128 is only 60mb/s vs  the 90mb/s of the Pro+ so that maybe why one works better.
2021-2-26
Use props
djiuser_iQCPZ4MmXS28
lvl.2
Germany

I'm having the same kind of issue right now. I got my SD card straight from DJI, so it should be the right one. Maybe it's just bad luck, or potentially a issue with the firmware.
2021-3-7
Use props
alex belk
lvl.1
Poland

Wiz33 Posted at 2-26 08:38
Seem the Evo+ comes in 2 speed grade. 128GB and above are U3 and 32 and 64 are U1 but the speed rating on the 128 is only 60mb/s vs  the 90mb/s of the Pro+ so that maybe why one works better.

You are right, these EVO+ may be different according to the capacity and generation.
I'm still wondering, why this card stopped functioning after few months of stable work.
2021-3-9
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

I just guess it may have something to do when it is generating and writing those LRF files because it writes multiple files at the same time. This indeed started with the latest firmware. I use 7 different cards and card is not the problem.
2021-3-9
Use props
djiuser_6EPXgN3Wmbno
New

Indonesia

Having the same problem here, i use this sdcard right from pocket 1 launch and it record 1080/60 perfectly. This morning the problem appear, format it and it still didnt work. Edited last statement, it didnt work in 1080/30fps too. Please fix this dji. Thanks.

One thing, when i record it on 1080p/60fps. It was hard to stop it, even when i press stop recording button repeatedly, like the system lagging or busy.
2021-3-24
Use props
djiuser_cUojlCn1cQKL
New

United States

I am facing a similar problem for my Osmo Action. After updating to the latest firmware 01.10.00.40 (7251) my camera can only record 1080p 60fps & above for just a few seconds before saying "sd card writing speed slow" & stopped recording soon after. It seems to be fine when recording at 1080p 30fps, but any higher bitrate & the issue comes up. My camera had no issues prior to the firmware update & my SD card is a Samsung EVO Select 128GB MicroSDXC UHS-I U3. Again, I never had recording issues when I got it new, only after the latest firmware update. Any suggestions?
2021-4-20
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Latest version also affects that you cannot use Kingston sd cards made for 4k recordings. U3 V30 A2 and Pocket 2 will eventually just stop recording without saying anything. This started with latest firmware when those LRF files came.
2021-4-20
Use props
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Portugal

Well, yesterday I had that same problem again. I also notice that the P2 was very hot.
2021-6-21
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

alexmbraMav Posted at 6-21 16:19
Well, yesterday I had that same problem again. I also notice that the P2 was very hot.

I have only 1 card that works with Pocket 2. Rest 7 cards are for Pocket 1 and other cameras

Nearly all of them are U3 cards.
2021-6-21
Use props
Astmens
lvl.1

Spain

I have the same issue - my Pocket 2. It randomly stops recording. And it did not matter the resolution. Plenty of free space on an SD card. Tried other SD card - had the same problem.
I also suspect that those LRF files could be messing up writing speeds.

Sometimes it also does not start recording when pressing the record button - and the indicator light keeps blinking indicating that the Pocket 2 is busy doing something.

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware or disable LRF?

I also got confused between using U1 and U3 cards. Any difference?

2021-7-14
Use props
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Portugal

marialopezz Posted at 9-11 02:42
As you have said that your SD card is fine, so I think you need to optimize the performance of your SD card or update your SD card drivers and then check for the issue.
To know more: https://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/fix-slow-micro-sd-card

Is not card issue. It is a Pocket2 issue. It happens with other card as well, and it only happens inside Pocket 2 sometimes. I think is when pocket 2 get hot.
2021-9-11
Use props
tr0ublesolver
lvl.1
Norway

Same for me, i have an Kingston U3 128GB which i measured to 77MB/s and the reccomended SanDisk extreme u3 "only" has 72MB/s . Both way over what they need but the kingston always stops with "too slow" and the SanDisk works. Makes no sense.  It works with other actioncams like GoPro and even pocket 1. Please fix this DJI. It worked before.
2021-11-27
Use props
TeslaLFG
New

Singapore

Hi. I'm facing the same problem suddenly after months of usage.
I'm using SanDisk Extreme A2 128GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 V30 (Up to 160MB/s Read, 90MB/s Write) Memory Card SDSQXA1
Wondering if anyone has figured out the solution to this please?
2022-8-31
Use props
TeslaLFG
New

Singapore

Hi. I'm facing the same problem suddenly after months of usage.
I'm using SanDisk Extreme A2 128GB microSDXC UHS-I U3 V30 (Up to 160MB/s Read, 90MB/s Write) Memory Card SDSQXA1
Wondering if anyone has figured out the solution to this please?
2022-8-31
Use props
djiuser_sTX0V5EyFIwr
New

Germany

I’ve had my Osmo pocket 2 for a year and it’s starting to act strangely. The sd card starting being too slow, although it was fine for a year. I bought a faster one (SD extreme pro U3 A2 90mb/s) and guess what? It’s too slow too. So now I’m reaching out to customer service asking what you can offer as a commercial gesture. This is really bad. I’ve been telling so many people about this camera… now I’m not sure what to say about it. Is this planned obsolescence? I can’t spend all my money on sd cards to find out the camera is already dying.
2022-11-6
Use props
djiuser_sTX0V5EyFIwr
New

Germany

Astmens Posted at 2021-7-14 02:13
I have the same issue - my Pocket 2. It randomly stops recording. And it did not matter the resolution. Plenty of free space on an SD card. Tried other SD card - had the same problem.
I also suspect that those LRF files could be messing up writing speeds.

Exactly the same issue here! Have you found a solution? Thanks!!
Amy
2022-11-6
Use props
hoangdd
lvl.1
Vietnam

I have the same problem but sometimes occurs, sometimes not. I use Samsung evo+ 128Gb with Osmo Action 3, firmware version 01.02.10.10.
2023-3-5
Use props
djiuser_iQCPZ4MmXS28
lvl.2
Germany

Hallo all

I think I’ve found a workaround for people encountering this error even after formatting the card on the DJI unit. After doing this I was able to record for 20 minutes without any errors.

If you have access to a windows PC, you can do a slow format of the SD card.
1. Right click on the media when loaded on a PC
2. Choose Format
3. Uncheck the box “quick format”
4. Click format

This may take a long long time depending on the media and your SD card reader’s speed. There should be a similar method on Mac or Linux systems.

Perhaps the card getting too hot is a factor in causing some kind of low level corruption on the SD cards. But I always shoot in Battery saver mode and on 2k 25fps, so I have my doubts about this. Then again, I often record very long clips and I’m guessing the DJI team don’t really test for this use case.

I’ve found the recommended SD cards report this error when I’ve used about 75% of the card. So ideally DJI should look into this further and update the firmware - there’s low level corruption or fragmentation happening or the firmware is somehow over-sensitive about overwriting ghost data(?). For convenience sake, a slow format option should be provided on the Pocket 2 or via the Mimo app.

Please let me know if it helps you. I’m also going to try leaving the LRF files alone and see if that helps avoid the slow card speed issue. I tend to delete them because they’re useless for my needs.
2023-3-20
Use props
LJ_
New

United States

Hey guys i have found a solution that works. I tried one of the sd card recommended for the dji pocket 2 but it would still stop recording and have the same the problem. However, I tried a specific sdd card and it works great now. It still heats up but the camera doesnt stop recording even while filming 4k at 30 fps. You have to buy this specific Sd Card howeve. here is the link on amazon ------> https://a.co/d/9vd6v6j I tried 3 other sd cards but this is the only one which works. its very weird but whatever. Let me know if it works for you guys.
2023-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules