12Next >
6445 43 2021-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
delf67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 379449 ft
United Kingdom

As a new Mini 2 owner I've been keenly watching youtube videos on the range of accessories available.
A couple of eagerly awaited packages arrived from China this morning, and I installed them straight away.

The first thing is a CPL filter, which seems to be pretty much standard fitment for all of the Youtube drone channels.
As well as [supposedly] improving picture quality, it does a good job at protecting the lens from dust and debris in flight.

The second thing is landing legs. I'm quite happy with hand launching and landing the Mini 2 (no mishaps so far), but when
I do take off from the ground even short grass can foul the rear props. I have a landing pad, but evrything else I need to fly is
in one small bag and even when it's folded up the landing pad won't fit in the bag or any of my pockets. Besides, there may be
situations when I have to land somewhere less than ideal in a hurry, and the extra height could prevent damage to the props.
I think it looks cool, too!

So after installing the filter and legs, I got the digi scales out......

No more stickers for me!
Front.jpg
weight.jpg
closeup.jpg
2021-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Right on the target.
2021-2-20
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Looks good. I have the landing gear on order. I went with the ones you have because the ones that fold are actually heavier.
Doug
2021-2-20
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2-20 10:53
Right on the target.

Luck rather than judgement!
2021-2-20
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-20 11:15
Looks good. I have the landing gear on order. I went with the ones you have because the ones that fold are actually heavier.
Doug

I just thought the folding ones looked very fiddly. I haven't tried it out yet, it's been blowing a gale all day!
2021-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

delf67 Posted at 2-20 11:41
Luck rather than judgement!

You should buy a lottery ticket
2021-2-20
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

With the legs on did you get the extra payload warning ?
2021-2-20
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 2-20 15:27
With the legs on did you get the extra payload warning ?

I've only flown briefly indoors as the wind was howling today, but no messages so far.
I'm interested in seeing if the extra drag reduces the top speed at all, or affects it's wind stability.
It's a good flying day tomorrow so I'll post an update.
2021-2-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the club.  UK here too.
2021-2-21
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

delf67 Posted at 2-20 15:37
I've only flown briefly indoors as the wind was howling today, but no messages so far.
I'm interested in seeing if the extra drag reduces the top speed at all, or affects it's wind stability.
It's a good flying day tomorrow so I'll post an update.

Yes that will be very interesting to see..I know with a strobe light and two leg lights I get a payload warning. I hope you enjoy your flight
2021-2-21
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 2-21 10:47
Yes that will be very interesting to see..I know with a strobe light and two leg lights I get a payload warning. I hope you enjoy your flight

So I flew for about 40minutes today, mostly in cine but a bit in sport, and didn't get the payload warning. I still managed to achieve 16m/s too, so it looks like the legs give minimal extra drag.
They actually have a much larger profile on the sides, so holding position in a strong sidewind might be more of an issue, but I'm happy with them ATM.
2021-2-21
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

The sets I have for my Mimi and future Mini2 are the same as yours. However I modified mine. I removed the outer edge basically half the with of the landing skis. And that made them lighter.
It doesn’t seam that doing that affected the intercity of then. When I remove them from the drone I squeeze then direct in line of the leg supports and not in the center.
After shaving them down the weight is about the same as the ones that clip on the bottom of the legs legs.
The non folding ones are much lighter.
Doug..
2021-2-25
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-25 11:31
The sets I have for my Mimi and future Mini2 are the same as yours. However I modified mine. I removed the outer edge basically half the with of the landing skis. And that made them lighter.
It doesn’t seam that doing that affected the intercity of then. When I remove them from the drone I squeeze then direct in line of the leg supports and not in the center.
After shaving them down the weight is about the same as the ones that clip on the bottom of the legs legs.

I have considered trying to lighten them a bit. I've now got a PGYtech camera shroud which weighs 3.6g, so I'm @ 253.5g with everything on.
Do you know how much weight you shaved off the legs?
2021-2-25
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

delf67 Posted at 2-25 11:51
I have considered trying to lighten them a bit. I've now got a PGYtech camera shroud which weighs 3.6g, so I'm @ 253.5g with everything on.
Do you know how much weight you shaved off the legs?

No I’m sorry I forgot to pre weigh it but right now after shaving/cutting the outside edge off it weighs.
8.5 grams.
What dose yours weigh right now.
2021-2-25
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-25 12:08
No I’m sorry I forgot to pre weigh it but right now after shaving/cutting the outside edge off it weighs.
8.5 grams.
What dose yours weigh right now.

The legs are 9.3g. If cutting the edges off only takes off 0.8g, I'll never get 3.6g off.

TBH I had to register the Mini 2 in the UK even though it's sub 250g as it has a camera. The only difference if I'm over 250g is that I can't fly over people/ buildings/ roads et, whereas less than 250g,I can.
If I'm going to be doing those type of shots, I'll just take have to take the legs off to be legal.
2021-2-25
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

delf67 Posted at 2-25 12:31
The legs are 9.3g. If cutting the edges off only takes off 0.8g, I'll never get 3.6g off.

TBH I had to register the Mini 2 in the UK even though it's sub 250g as it has a camera. The only difference if I'm over 250g is that I can't fly over people/ buildings/ roads et, whereas less than 250g,I can.

Its good to read, as a newbie you have done all the right things including registration. The rules for <250g drones in the UK now allows us great freedoms. When I bought my first DJI drone back in 2017 I bought all sorts of accessories, having then bought a Mavic 2 pro, the only accessories I bought were ND filters, and a parallel battery charger.

I bought the Mini 2 last month and very conscious at keeping under 250g, the only accessory so far is a Cree Strobe light (4g) mounted at the rear underneath, sure helps in keeping visual line of sight, its very bright. The only other item will be ND filters.

I take off and land from my hand, or a landing pad, so I don't use leg extenders. Be safe and enjoy, the Mini 2 is a great drone.
2021-2-25
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 2-25 13:04
Its good to read, as a newbie you have done all the right things including registration. The rules for

I'd rather be all legal, it's only 9 quid! I did the flyers id test too, so I'm covered if/ when the Mini 2 is over 250g flying out in the country.
Out of interest, how much does the strobe weigh?
2021-2-25
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

delf67 Posted at 2-25 13:34
I'd rather be all legal, it's only 9 quid! I did the flyers id test too, so I'm covered if/ when the Mini 2 is over 250g flying out in the country.

The one I’m using is 7.1g
But I’m changing to a brighter Luma Cube strobe.   About $40.
Doug
2021-2-25
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-25 13:40
The one I’m using is 7.1g
But I’m changing to a brighter Luma Cube strobe.   About $40.
Doug

Cool, thanks.
2021-2-25
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

Wish  I could post a picture but it won’t let me. I really like trimming the outside edge all the way off. That outside edge is not needed. I like the look better also. It’s plenty strong enough..
I wish the program here would allow uploading directly from my stored photos on my iPad.
2021-2-25
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

I placed my Lume Cube with 3M Velcro fastener on the scale and it came in at 10.27g and with red cap installed it was 12.16g. My Mini 2 weighs 238.17, so when i added the Strobe it was 248.43g and the Strobe with cap installed was 250.34g. I don't have a Velcro fastener on my Mini 2 yet, so i guess that would add a bit more weight.
2021-2-25
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 2-25 20:29
I placed my Lume Cube with 3M Velcro fastener on the scale and it came in at 10.27g and with red cap installed it was 12.16g. My Mini 2 weighs 238.17, so when i added the Strobe it was 248.43g and the Strobe with cap installed was 250.34g. I don't have a Velcro fastener on my Mini 2 yet, so i guess that would add a bit more weight.

The Velcro will.
Heck just the Velcro on the mini 1 puts it over.
Also I really like the added height with the landing gear..
2021-2-25
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-25 20:55
The Velcro will.
Heck just the Velcro on the mini 1 puts it over.
Also I really like the added height with the landing gear..

I'm thinking about buying this landing gear for the Mini and Mini 2 because I also like the added height.

:https://www.amazon.ca/HeiyRC-Ext ... ExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2021-2-25
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 2-25 21:16
I'm thinking about buying this landing gear for the Mini and Mini 2 because I also like the added height.

:https://www.amazon.ca/HeiyRC-Extensions-Extension-Protector-Accessory/dp/B0863KCZVS/ref=sr_1_24_sspa?crid=3HOYCGTQ5V8S8&dchild=1&keywords=dji+mini+2+accessories+landing&qid=1614315894&sprefix=dji+mini+2+acc%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-24-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySU1MT1ZLWTkxU1YyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM5MTY4MUtKM1NWOVU1R0E1RyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzkwMjA4MThVQUYxMDZXV0xHSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I just got two of them and really like them. They are not the folding type and I  would rather not have the folding type.
I cut the outer edge off the ski up to the flat vertical. And they are still strong but when you bend them to remove them do it inline with the vertical supports.
I just registered for the Recreational license tonight because my Mini 1 will be over the 249 with the landing gear on but funny when I get my muni 2  in April and put the landing gear on it is still under 249g.
Doug
2021-2-25
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

delf67 Posted at 2-25 13:34
I'd rather be all legal, it's only 9 quid! I did the flyers id test too, so I'm covered if/ when the Mini 2 is over 250g flying out in the country.

The Flytron Cree strobe is 4g, I use velcro to attach it so total is 5 grams. The strobe is £15 + postage. Its very bright and will flash for nearly 3 hours.
2021-2-26
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 2-26 10:15
The Flytron Cree strobe is 4g, I use velcro to attach it so total is 5 grams. The strobe is £15 + postage. Its very bright and will flash for nearly 3 hours.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.
2021-2-26
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

I solved my weight problem.
Last night I went to the FAA sight and applied for my Recreational license and it was easy.
“”””You do not give your serial number.””””
I requested it to be sent to my mailing address but you can have it sent to tour email if you have a printer. They sent a copy to my email and I screenshot it so it’s in my picture file.
It gives my my number for my drone so I made it up on my Brother P-Touch.
It was easy and cost $5. I can use that number on any drone I fly up to  55 lbs.
relief ev—- no more worries about an gram of weight.
Doug
2021-2-26
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-26 17:28
I solved my weight problem.
Last night I went to the FAA sight and applied for my Recreational license and it was easy.
“”””You do not give your serial number.””””

Congrats on getting your Recreational License You're all set now!  Fly and stay safe.
2021-2-26
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 2-26 19:14
Congrats on getting your Recreational License  You're all set now!  Fly and stay safe.

Thank You.   It was so easy, I wish I wouldn’t have waited and I don’t have to worry about that gram haunting me in my sleep.   
  Doug :}
2021-2-26
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

RedSky119 Posted at 2-25 21:16

:https://www.amazon.ca/HeiyRC-Extensions-Extension-Protector-Accessory/dp/B0863KCZVS/ref=sr_1_24_sspa?crid=3HOYCGTQ5V8S8&dchild=1&keywords=dji+mini+2+accessories+landing&qid=1614315894&sprefix=dji+mini+2+acc%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-24-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySU1MT1ZLWTkxU1YyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTM5MTY4MUtKM1NWOVU1R0E1RyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzkwMjA4MThVQUYxMDZXV0xHSSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I decided to get this landing gear instead of the one i was looking at :https://www.amazon.ca/TOMAT-Mavi ... 14481042&sr=8-1  This one comes in at 10.32g and 248.49g when installed on my Mini 2. Tried them on the Mini and Mini 2, snaps right in and fits perfectly on both. I like that you can fold these when not in use. When folded, they fit nicely in the original Mini case on top of the battery hub.
2021-2-27
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 2-27 19:32
I decided to get this landing gear instead of the one i was looking at :https://www.amazon.ca/TOMAT-Mavic-Mini-Landing-Accessories/dp/B084X53QHX/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=tomat+landing+gear&qid=1614481042&sr=8-1  This one comes in at 10.32g and 248.49g when installed on my Mini 2. Tried them on the Mini and Mini 2, snaps right in and fits perfectly on both. I like that you can fold these when not in use. When folded, they fit nicely in the original Mini case on top of the battery hub.

Question when folded can you fold the mini 2.
The ones that are like those but are not allowing he mini to fold up.
Doug
2021-2-27
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-27 23:11
Question when folded can you fold the mini 2.
The ones that are like those but are not allowing he mini to fold up.
Doug

I wasn't able to fold the Mini or Mini 2 when I installed the folded landing gear on them. It's really close, but the rear arms rub against the landing gear when trying to fold either drone.
2021-2-28
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

delf67 Posted at 2-21 13:39
So I flew for about 40minutes today, mostly in cine but a bit in sport, and didn't get the payload warning. I still managed to achieve 16m/s too, so it looks like the legs give minimal extra drag.
They actually have a much larger profile on the sides, so holding position in a strong sidewind might be more of an issue, but I'm happy with them ATM.

That’s great to hear...I know sadly some of the strobes and if you add legs will trigger the payload mode
2021-3-1
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 2-28 12:36
I wasn't able to fold the Mini or Mini 2 when I installed the folded landing gear on them. It's really close, but the rear arms rub against the landing gear when trying to fold either drone.

Ok that’s good to know. So basically the lighter non folding would be fine except for storing.
I have not seen any payload warnings with the non folding ones I have.
Doug
2021-3-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 3-1 13:17
That’s great to hear...I know sadly some of the strobes and if you add legs will trigger the payload mode

i used to get a lot of payload warning messages.  annoying.  in the event you get this message and your drone goes into payload mode, you can simply disable the payload mode while in flight and you should be able to continue flying as normal.
2021-3-1
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Donut Michigan Posted at 3-1 13:26
Ok that’s good to know. So basically the lighter non folding would be fine except for storing.
I have not seen any payload warnings with the non folding ones I have.
Doug

The reason I ended up buying the folding type is I was hoping when folded, they would fit in my Mini case. I have a set of non folding ones for my MA2 that I'm happy with. No payload warnings on Mini or Mini 2 so far after a few indoor flights. I have a landing pad and sometimes hand catch, so probably wouldn't use them too often, but nice accessory to have in you're bag for certain situations.
2021-3-1
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

With my trimmed non folding landing gear and my strobe the weight on mine is  267.8 grams.  It flys great with no warnings.
Doug
2021-3-1
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

Assuming my Mini weighs 249g, with landing gear and strobe installed would come in at 270.59 (272.48 cap installed). Will be interesting to see if the few extra grams triggers the warning. Nice to know we can just disable payload mode and carry on.
2021-3-1
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 3-1 18:33
Assuming my Mini weighs 249g, with landing gear and strobe installed would come in at 270.59 (272.48 cap installed). Will be interesting to see if the few extra grams triggers the warning. Nice to know we can just disable payload mode and carry on.

That’s only three ounces over me and I cut the outer sides off my ski’s.
I’m good because I have my recreational  license.
2021-3-1
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-1 15:35
i used to get a lot of payload warning messages.  annoying.  in the event you get this message and your drone goes into payload mode, you can simply disable the payload mode while in flight and you should be able to continue flying as normal.

It really is a pain to keep getting them. I finally learned to do what you just mentioned and all was good ..Kinda like if you’re not signed in it will limit how far you can fly
2021-3-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules