DJI mini 2 motor error and crash
7091 22 2021-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Orion625
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161549 ft
United States

I was flying my drone last weekend taking some videos of geese sitting on the ice by my neighborhood pond, about 250ish feet from my house.  This was my 99th flight since I obtained the drone in December.  Slight winds (5-10 knots), overcast and 22 degrees F. Everything was operating perfectly until I went into sports mode to make a quick getaway in case the geese decided to take off and fly towards my drone.  Right after I put the drone into sports mode, it started accelerating vertically uncontrollably and within a second, i got "motor error".  My throttle was fully forward and on fully on decend, but the controls weren't doing anything to bring the drone back down.  The drone went up to what I estimate about 100 to 150 ft above the ground, then suddenly plummetted from the sky.  The weird thing is that my flight log shows that I was going into negative altitude and was -800 ft when I lost reception.  I attempted to locate the drone by using the find my drone button, but I kept getting a message saying it wasn't connected.  I walked over to the area that it crashed, rewatched the video to the last frame to find it (it was in some tall grass next to the lake, and the battery had popped half way out).  One of the motor arms is broken off, and the top of the drone has a 2" crack.  I tried to attach photos of the damage, but the are too large to attach.
Flight Log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7BF334OO2M9T2T8FNJW7
Video of the crash: https://youtu.be/6_xSSUEJLfI
Flight log screen showing error: https://youtu.be/8XcWOl0s_dA
I did happen to buy DJI care and activated the day I got my drone for the first time.  I've already opened a claim and sent it back in.  I'm really wanting to know if anyone else has any insight on this.  Did I do something wrong, or was this complete equipment failure?  I'm always very cautios about the areas I'm flying over (people, vehicles, houses, etc), but I do sometimes fly over water and I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to avoid another crash like this.

2021-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Orion625,

Had a look at your flight, some weird data at the end of the file ; baro into negative values while climbing, vertical speed steady zero for while and ATTI mode at the end. (while dropping down)
FlyApp 1.2.1 does not show batt cell values.

Don`t think this is in any way your 'fault', if you can put a cloud link to your DAT file for this flight ; more info in there. ( It is FLY085.DAT on your device as well (MCDATflightrecords map))

cheers
JJB
2021-2-20
Use props
Orion625
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161549 ft
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-20 09:08
Hi Orion625,

Had a look at your flight, some weird data at the end of the file ; baro into negative values while climbing, vertical speed steady zero for while and ATTI mode at the end. (while dropping down)

Here is the .txt file of the flight log.  I tried to upload the .dat file, but dropbox said it was not able to upload.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8sp406kio7ahnk/DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-14_%5B16-53-56%5D.txt?dl=0
Here's the .csv file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24ojdm9uqdgbrr1/DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-14_%5B16-53-56%5D.csv?dl=0

2021-2-20
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

If you updated the firmware since the release of the updated flyapp, but did not update the flyapp in a backdoor way (not on any official app stores) .... there would be conflicts of information.  
I haven't flown since the release of the latest flyapp, as I cannot get it on the play store, and don't install unverified files.  I'm not going to fly, because last time I powered on the drone, the firmware on the drone updated ... probably to communicate with the new flyapp.  See the hullabaloo?   (don't fly with the old flyapp, and updated firmware)

I've seen it stated in a few areas; "update your DJI FLY application to 1.2.5 for a safe and stable flight"
(so if you don't, don't fly)

2021-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Orion625 Posted at 2-20 09:34
Here is the .txt file of the flight log.  I tried to upload the .dat file, but dropbox said it was not able to upload.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8sp406kio7ahnk/DJIFlightRecord_2021-02-14_%5B16-53-56%5D.txt?dl=0
Here's the .csv file

oke, but the flightlog is already there, in the PhantomHelp link.

it should be possible to upload a DAT file, mayby first from mob device > PC > upload
2021-2-20
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

I got a similar problem two weeks ago with my Mavic Air 2 excepting that i didnt get the uncontrolled raise and motors prompt on screen ,i was flying for 10-12 minutes without problems on a low height,as soon as i was on 20-23m and clicked for panorama the drone stopped the propellers and plumeted , just one moment before the crash i did react sticking up but it wasnt enough fast to avoid the crash ,,, i have sent the drone to repair but i've not received my analytics from the DJI support ,, only the excellent help and analysis from JJB and other members assistance on a post over the MAVIC AIR 2 forum ...

2021-2-21
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

hunterws Posted at 2-20 10:29
If you updated the firmware since the release of the updated flyapp, but did not update the flyapp in a backdoor way (not on any official app stores) .... there would be conflicts of information.  
I haven't flown since the release of the latest flyapp, as I cannot get it on the play store, and don't install unverified files.  I'm not going to fly, because last time I powered on the drone, the firmware on the drone updated ... probably to communicate with the new flyapp.  See the hullabaloo?   (don't fly with the old flyapp, and updated firmware)

Can you give the nos. of the relevant firmware and app no. of when we shouldn't fly please?
2021-2-21
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

yogi053 Posted at 2-21 05:55
Can you give the nos. of the relevant firmware and app no. of when we shouldn't fly please?

Well, to fly stable and safely, you get the auto-update through the controller/tablet for the firmware while on wifi.

That's easy, and gets your drone ready to read 1.2.5.  

Then, you don't update your app, and try to use 1.2.1 (whatever-not 1.2.5) .... with the updated firmware.

When you do that, then you are not flying stable nor safe.

The clash I suspect is the firmware is getting updated that is not communicating properly without the updated app, which you can only 'side load' from a backdoor server, as it is not available on any app store for android.  I don't install unverified programs, that's how you get bugs.

So, I'm stuck at 1.2.1 because I won't install unverified apps on my tablet, and for some reason they are not updating the flyapp on the play store.  I don't need this to put food on the table, so for now it collects dust ... until this gets sorted.  If I lose interest I'll just sell it, which is unfortunate.
2021-2-21
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

hunterws Posted at 2-21 18:56
Well, to fly stable and safely, you get the auto-update through the controller/tablet for the firmware while on wifi.

That's easy, and gets your drone ready to read 1.2.5.  

hunterws. Thank you for explaining that so clearly. So I take it that it is impossible to 'rollback' on the RC to overcome the problem. I'd better check just what state my equipment is in then. Thanks again.
2021-2-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Orion625, I am sorry to hear about the accident that happened to your drone. As you had sent the drone back to our repair center, the local team will check the drone and manage data analysis when the drone arrives. The corresponding team will contact you when the data analysis result comes out.
If there is anything I can help with during the service, please feel free to ask.
2021-2-22
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Engine error + drone fall from the sky... I'd say a propeller broke midflight... but idk.
2021-2-22
Use props
hanspektre
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6243058 ft
United States

Just got some weird crash also using mavic mini, after some cruising with P-mode, 40% battery  turn to S-mode and got battery warning.
I try to land ASAP, the mini hovering few seconds and when i press joystick down to land it move uncontrollable and crash.
luckily it's just leave some scratch and replacing propeller make it can fly again.
I suspect some debris disturb one motor that makes the mini uncontrollable when it fly in Sports-mode, or battery issue make the system unstable

2022-2-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hanspektre Posted at 2-5 02:10
Just got some weird crash also using mavic mini, after some cruising with P-mode, 40% battery  turn to S-mode and got battery warning.
I try to land ASAP, the mini hovering few seconds and when i press joystick down to land it move uncontrollable and crash.
luckily it's just leave some scratch and replacing propeller make it can fly again.

Hi,

Best to get help/advice is to upload your flightlog for this crash flight.

Use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the uploaded link on here or put a cloudlink to your log here.

cheers
JJB
2022-2-5
Use props
hanspektre
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-5 02:28
Hi,

hi thx , just upload it ...  
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/VBDES4L0QM74QU6QBJUI
2022-2-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

This log stops at 14m26secs.
Is there another log after this ?

In the log at 12m55s the battery % value is recorded as ZERO for very short moment (and incorrect high amp values), while the batt voltage shows good values in all records.So imo the message  "Battery cells under voltage. Replace battery" is an incorrect message.
Lowest cell value = 3.28 Volt, above the critical value of 3 volt.

Your started your flight with a compass warning " Compass error. Ensure there are no metal or magnetic objects near the aircraft and calibrate it before use. (Code: 30060).; AGPS signal weak. Hovering unstable. Fly with caution (Code: 30002)"

Your started your flight with only 6 satellites, so starting the flight in OPTI mode.
After 22 secs HP was set, 8 satellites and good enough to set HP (GPS icon showed white now)
So HP was not set at your starting point. (not wise to do so...)

Last few seconds you had RC pitch forward input, speed increased from zero to 4 m/s. At low altitude.
Input stopped, drone braked with high pitch up value and lowered a bit.

Log stopped there....

cheers
JJB

2022-2-5
Use props
hanspektre
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-5 03:45
Hi,

This log stops at 14m26secs.

ussuallly HP and my starting point only about less than 10 meters, the reason is gps fix/lock more faster in hover flight/open sky.
it started to show weird flight pattern that lead to small crash at 14m 25.1s that unfortunately not in recording mode, so no vids available on the crash.

thanks
Btw, after that, i clean the mini, replace prop and change battery and test 2nd flight only to see if it normal.   https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8PV14I3M30OR38NDOXC5
2022-2-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hanspektre Posted at 2-5 06:50
ussuallly HP and my starting point only about less than 10 meters, the reason is gps fix/lock more faster in hover flight/open sky.
it started to show weird flight pattern that lead to small crash at 14m 25.1s that unfortunately not in recording mode, so no vids available on the crash.

Hi,

Happy the mini survived the crash.

In this log 5 times a zero for batt %, with unreal values for temp and batt amps.
No idea is this is a serious issue.

But if zero for batt percentage is there for longer period drone will get into landing wich cannot be stopped. If it is only a converting data issue than no problems ofcourse.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-2-5
Use props
hanspektre
lvl.1
United States

JJB* Posted at 2-5 07:44
Hi,

Happy the mini survived the crash.

wow... thx..  
i think i will fly in more carefull consider this issue; not to high not too fast not too far...
since the battery could be the problem, i think it will not long until
it found dead or unusable
2022-2-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

hanspektre Posted at 2-5 21:00
wow... thx..  
i think i will fly in more carefull consider this issue; not to high not too fast not too far...
since the battery could be the problem, i think it will not long until

i don`t think it is the battery itself, as it happend to both your batteries.
Hope it is a converting error soomehow, the cell voltages are oke.

But if the internal batt percentage value drops false to zero and this zero value is uses for getting false warnings and false follow up responses like an autoland....

i advice to ask DJI to give their reaction on this...

cheers
JJB
2022-2-6
Use props
japan16
lvl.1

Netherlands

Same thing happened to me yesterday -

Just took off and showed negative altitude and crashed into a all and into water
Lost it - Lasted 6 days - IM REALLY ANNOYED about this.

Thanks DJI for all the nice marketing and promise - taking my money and then letting me see the Drone being taken over by something and just crash......

Dont recommend these products at all
2022-6-2
Use props
lsidoti
lvl.1
Flight distance : 368694 ft
Argentina

I had a very similar issue with my mini 2 this weekend, motor error, lost gps signal, it started to fly up and forward with out control and after that, it went into atti mode, finally I lost remote control signal and the next thing I saw was my drone crashing into the water.
2023-2-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

lsidoti Posted at 2-22 05:51
I had a very similar issue with my mini 2 this weekend, motor error, lost gps signal, it started to fly up and forward with out control and after that, it went into atti mode, finally I lost remote control signal and the next thing I saw was my drone crashing into the water.

Hi,

Use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Post the uploaded link on here or put a cloudlink to your log here.

cheers
JJB
2023-2-22
Use props
ionenbush
lvl.1

Austria

it happend to me twice that I was flying my drone in a hight of 1m walking behind the drone and suddenly when pressing #forward the drone flew left (and forward was not possible anymore!). this is terrible because I lost my trust! i pushed #pause and restarted the app an then it worked again the way its supposed to. does anyone have a similar problem - google cant find anything.  
and yes - all my apps are the newest version.
2023-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules