Smart Controller Firmware Download - For Downgrade
5185 10 2021-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heed
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60413 ft
United States

I purchased my controller in October 2020.  Sometime after that, I updated to .820.

I started having DJI Go App crashing mid flight.  It happened all the time and multiple times each flight.  Almost unsuable.

After much trouble shooting, forum posts elsewhere - it was recommended to try and downgrade to the previous version.

I found this forum, the guide and a link to older firmware on the DJI website.  I also found the help I needed on this forum to get DJI Assistant 2 installed on my MBP.

I downloaded .700, got DJI Assistant running and downgraded the firmware to .700.

This was all back in November or December.  It's been running fine since.

Now there is in new SC update, .880, and the release notes mention fix app crashes.  It's annoying to click past the update notice all the time.

I figured I would give .880 a go, but I can't seem to find my .700 download in case it doesn't fix the previous DJI Go crashing....or some new issue crops up.

I tried searching for the link to the firmware on here - no luck.  Attempted fishing around the DJI website too - no luck.

Does someone have that link to Smart Controller Firmware manual downloads?

Thanks in advance!

2021-2-21
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Never knew the firmware could be downloaded and then installed manually. I thought the firmware downgrade option was only available on the DJI Assistant 2 when the Smart Controller is connected to the computer via USB
2021-2-21
Use props
Heed
lvl.2
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 2-21 13:28
Never knew the firmware could be downloaded and then installed manually. I thought the firmware downgrade option was only available on the DJI Assistant 2 when the Smart Controller is connected to the computer via USB

Well, it's entirely possible I am mis-remembering.  

I jumped through so money trouble shooting hoops over several days.  I know for sure one was manually downloading DJI GO Android APK.  I know that is an accurate memory because I had to go back to the forum I was on and mention that the website only listed my installed version.  They told me that the download link was to the newer version - I guess DJI fails to list the correct text.  Anyhoo....I thought I did the same for SC firmware.

I've already checked DJI Assistant 2.  It only lists 880, 860 and 820.  So perhaps they only show the most current three firmware files.  Back then, I was 820....which clearly didn't work for me.  Interestingly, I only found one other person and they mentioned that downgrading fixed it for them.  

So, assuming I have a faulty memory, is there a way to backup/extract the currently installed firmware?

I don't want to install 880 and discover my same issue persists.  Or some other bug is introduced.  Backtracking to 820 is not an option based on my last experience.
2021-2-21
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I feel your pain. It was a few months ago when I first started to have app crashes while flying the Mavic2 Pro on the Smart controller, after upgrading to the firmware/software package which installed the Fly app at the same time. But at the time I was able to downgrade to the previous firmware which removed the Fly app. Even though I later found that the firmware downgrade hasn't fixed the app crashing problem until I updated the GO4 app to the then newer version which I remember to be 4.3.38. I still haven't upgraded to the 4.3.42 yet, all because DJI still has not officially indicated that it is supported on the Smart Controller.
2021-2-21
Use props
Heed
lvl.2
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 2-21 14:10
I feel your pain. It was a few months ago when I first started to have app crashes while flying the Mavic2 Pro on the Smart controller, after upgrading to the firmware/software package which installed the Fly app at the same time. But at the time I was able to downgrade to the previous firmware which removed the Fly app. Even though I later found that the firmware downgrade hasn't fixed the app crashing problem until I updated the GO4 app to the then newer version which I remember to be 4.3.38. I still haven't upgraded to the 4.3.42 yet, all because DJI still has not officially indicated that it is supported on the Smart Controller.

Sounds like a similar timeline.....I was also using the SC with a M2P.  I didn't pay attention to the "Fly App".  My journey started 11/9/20 with the crashes.

SC would download/show 4.3.36 as the current version.  I manually installed the next version, .37,  as an attempt to fix it.  Didn't fix it.

When I downgraded to .700 it all returned to normal.  I still had the new (4.3.37) version of Go installed at this point.

So, I am running SC firmware .700 and DJI Go 4.3.37 and it's working fine.  

I think I am not going to mess with it at this point.  I just read on the .880 thread folks are having issues....

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.  
2021-2-21
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Heed Posted at 2-21 14:34
Sounds like a similar timeline.....I was also using the SC with a M2P.  I didn't pay attention to the "Fly App".  My journey started 11/9/20 with the crashes.

SC would download/show 4.3.36 as the current version.  I manually installed the next version, .37,  as an attempt to fix it.  Didn't fix it.

That's exactly what I'm doing at the moment. For as much as I've wanted to fly my Mini2 with the SC ; I wouldn't even consider upgrading the SC's firmware unless I am convinced I'm not going to have app crashes again. Don't have an Air2 so more than happy to have the SC on .700 firmware and no Fly app.
2021-2-21
Use props
Sn4pper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I am also experiencing a similar issue.

On two recent occasions when I have flown and the app crashed, the aircraft returned to home.

This wasn’t a distance far enough to loose connection and I was within clear line of sight

Please can someone advise how I downgrade software?
2021-3-4
Use props
Heed
lvl.2
United States

Sn4pper Posted at 3-4 14:24
I am also experiencing a similar issue.

On two recent occasions when I have flown and the app crashed, the aircraft returned to home.

The only way to downgrade that I know of is through the DJI Assistant application.

If you are on a Mac, get ready to jump through some hoops.  Also, there are quite specific directions to the order you hook up the Smart Controller and start the app.  To be honest, I don't remember.  I should have written it down.

Once it's connected and recognized, it's straight forward process to downgrade.  Unfortunately, you can only apparently go back two versions through that application.

I am not sure you are having the same problem that I did.  My DJI Go App would crash to the DJI Go home screen.  The drone did not return.  In my case, it was always during manual flying.  Not sure what would have happened had I been using one of the QuickFly modes.  The drone would respond to inputs from the sticks while in the home screen.  Simply hitting the "Go Fly" button would return the video, etc.

Your case sounds like it is a "loss of uplink" signal and the drone is following that recovery mode.  On my M2P during loss of uplink, the drone starts to retrace the path it just flew for 60 seconds.  If, at 60s, the uplink signal is still missing, the drone enters the RTH mode.

I hope that helps.
2021-3-4
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

It's been nothing but a big mess since the upgrade which added the Fly app, and no official solution or even any acknowledgement from DJI whatsoever, apart from thanking you for reaching out....
Quite obviously the Smart Controller is the new abandoned child after the Crystal Sky; another good reason to NOT buy the Smart Controller 2 when it comes out.
2021-3-4
Use props
fans08446a86
lvl.2

United States

Heed Posted at 2-21 14:34

You mean, if it isn't broke, fix it until it is?
2021-3-4
Use props
Heed
lvl.2
United States

fans08446a86 Posted at 3-4 23:28
You mean, if it isn't broke, fix it until it is?

Not sure if that was sarcasm/joke and poke at DJI or a misunderstanding of my situation.

In case it was misunderstanding and for the benefit of others in the same situation:

I had SC firmware v.820 and DJI Go 4.3.36.

I would be flying and the Go App would crash to Go Home/start screen.  It usually occurred when starting a video recording, but also happened randomly.  It occurred so often, it wasn’t useable.

It was recommended I upgraded DJI Go.  The SC would only show 4.3.36 while DJI listed v.37 as the current version.  I manually upgraded as mentioned via downloading the APK from DJI.

There was no change on the next flight and the problem still existed.

Found a different forum that recommended downgrading to v.700 on the SC.  So I did.

It was now working with no crashes with SC v.700 and DJI Go 4.3.37.  I saw no real reason to revert back to 4.3.36 since all was working again.  

Hence, if it ain’t broke - don’t fix it.

At this point I see no real reason to upgrade the SC firmware other than getting rid of the annoying reminder I need to update.  If I could revert back to .700, I would give .860 a try.  But, they only show the last 3 in DJI Assistant.  That means .820 is the oldest and was the problem firmware for me.
2021-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules