Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-7-15 22:34
Thanks for that.  Wiki is not really an authoritative source but I get the point.  Again though, p ...

The important takeaway is that you are flying a civil aircraft. If you need a definition from an authoritative source, then please contact the FAA. I'm sure they'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-15
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-7-15 22:34
Thanks for that.  Wiki is not really an authoritative source but I get the point.  Again though, p ...

We can ask those questions all day long, but he fact remains, if we want to operate the drones commercially, we have to jump through all of the hoops. And it has nothing to do with getting paid for the video or photography.

I work for a large Ag manufacturer. We purchased a drone to shoot video of our equipment working in the field. We are not selling any of this footage. We just wanted it for social media and our website. But according to our very large legal department, this type of use is still considered commercial. So... I have a photographer enrolled in flight school.

Even farmers that want to use a drone to monitor their fields, or drainage waterways can't do it legally without the pilots license and the 333 exemption. Sucks, But them is the rules!
2015-7-15
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Agreed. Can you say "over-reach?"

Technically, the FAA has jurisdiction over anything commercial from 1-inch above the ground to the extent of the atmosphere outdoors, and earning 0.00000001 cent or more. BUT, they have mentioned on a number of occasions - especially in agriculture - that anything even potentially contributing to any kind of future income is not exempt from their purview.

I wish I could document this, but I actually heard that there had been a middle school flight science contest somewhere in Colorado in 2014 where the the winner of a rubber-band-power distance contest won a gift card to a local hobby store. THAT was income, and THAT was commercial. Are you kidding me?! I hesitate to mention that, because I cannot back it up with any news story (so it may be pure fiction), but that would certainly be the kind over-reach none of us want.  

In a way, I and many others feel the same is true for low level photography for real estate, where nobody is likely to get hurt and no manned aircraft could possibly be impacted if normal rules are observed.  Oh, well. Like mentioned above, them is the rules.
2015-7-15
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-15 22:57
The important takeaway is that you are flying a civil aircraft. If you need a definition from an a ...

Oh, sorry.  The way you were posting, I thought you were trying to be the authoritative source.  
2015-7-16
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-7-16 23:48
Oh, sorry.  The way you were posting, I thought you were trying to be the authoritative source.  : ...

That was not my intention. I do not work for the FAA. I do have an exemption though and have done far more research related to this process than most people.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-16
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-7-24
Use props
dwd3885
New

United States

I work for a school district. We are interested in taking photos/videos of schools, sporting events, etc. We don't make any money off of this and it appears we should be covered under the model aircraft regulations (400 ft, etc). Is this correct or do we need a COA?
2015-11-11
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

dwd3885 Posted at 2015-11-11 22:05
I work for a school district. We are interested in taking photos/videos of schools, sporting events, ...

The FAA has carved out an exemption for government.

Google FAA exemption 333, and download it. I'm sure your school's legal department is going to have to be involved, and they should be able to file for whatever waivers are required to operate.

If you decide on your own to shoot video, you're free to share with whomever you wish.

I'm not a lawyer, but if you were to have the school purchase and had an accident, things could go wrong, fast.  Personally owned, then you assume the liability in an accident.

Clear as mud, right?
2015-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules