Cine/Tripod Mode
4181 5 2021-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I have a feeling this may have been questioned before, so apologies.

I have quite a number of drones, some of which have a Tripod/Turtle/Cine mode. This is usually characterised by the ability to have precise control (greater resolution) of the drone with very slow manouvers. On my larger sized machines (900 and 1200 size hexacopters) I can accomplish this by adjusting the rates and expo on the transmitter and/or reducing the tilt angle on all axis to reduce speed.

I recently picked up a Mini2 FlyMore package to take advantage of the A2cfg priviledges in the UK. What I first noticed is that there's next to no difference between what DJI term CINE and NORMAL mode as selected on the controller.

I have deep dived into the the full parameter list of the Mini2 and found that the settings for Tripod Mode and Normal Mode have exactly the same tilt value. There is also something called 'Gentle Mode' again with a tilt value very close to that of Normal Mode. Nowhere within the parameter list is their a function called 'CINE'.

Interestingly Tripod Mode, by default, is disabled. It can be enabled but once you reboot the Mini2 it defaults back to disabled. The tilt value can be changed for this mode but it's irrelevent if the mode itself can't be permanently enabled.

As I'm rather late to the Mini2 party I'm wondering if the speed issue is a result of an earlier firmware update and there once was a true Tripod Mode. If not will DJI allow for full stick customisiation and/or a true Tripod Mode in a future update? I used to use my Spark and Parrot Anafi's in close quarter shoots and would like to do the same with the Mini2, safely.
2021-2-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It seems cinematic mode needs to be setup yourself to your preferred settings.    This explains it -
2021-2-24
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2-24 00:34
It seems cinematic mode needs to be setup yourself to your preferred settings.    This explains it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nf9KhLwK0Q&t=507s

Thank you for the reply.

I’ve seen the adjustments for the gimbal and YAW axis, but unfortunately this doesn’t fully address the issue.

The controller used for the Mini2, like many other similar drones, uses very small stick gimbals, this means that the movement of the stick has an exaggerated effect compared to say that of a full sized gimbal having the same PWM range (usually 1000us to 2000us).  For other drones with similar sized stick gimbals -  I reference the Spark, the Parrot Anafi, and the Powervision PowerEgg X, as I own these - you can either alter the stick characteristics (Expo and Rates, maximum tilt angle,etc) from within the APP itself or from within supplemental software such as DJI Assistant2 as I have done with my Spark.

I think my next step will be to dig into previous Mini2 firmware releases and see if any parameters were changed (I’m currently running the latest FW release). At the moment I’m not seeing any significant difference in PITCH and ROLL response between Cine-Mode and Normal-Mode with my Mini2, and with the parameter values for these two modes being near identical makes the three position switch on the controller about as useful as a chocolate fireguard, when a two position switch would have sufficed.
2021-2-24
Use props
Ton Veenboer
New

Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 2-24 00:34
It seems cinematic mode needs to be setup yourself to your preferred settings.    This explains it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nf9KhLwK0Q&t=507s

Thanks for the video
2021-2-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nidge Posted at 2-24 01:41
Thank you for the reply.

I’ve seen the adjustments for the gimbal and YAW axis, but unfortunately this doesn’t fully address the issue.

They appear to have the same default configuration until you adjust them,  he shows the basic adjustments in that video.
2021-2-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome. He's worth a follow a she makes a ton of great content.
2021-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules