Why does the Roll Axis on the gimbal not work sometimes
1455 7 2021-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
XY Plane
lvl.2
United States

I have Tilt Lock on and I'm getting this problem where it looks like the camera is rotating as if the Roll Axis isn't keeping the horizon flat. I understand that a 3 axis gimbal will not eliminate up and down bobbing completely, and I literally don't care about the up and down bobbing at all.
Here, I was holding the camera upright, where the body of camera is 90 degrees to the lense.

2021-2-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

The camera doesn't lock the 4th axis (up and down) at all.  So you have to ensure that you hold it at a fixed height above the ground when walking - not easy, especially on snow and ice! - when it plays, position your PC cursor over a distant point eg the roof of the building in the distance.  You'll see it's completely steady, so the gimbal is doing its job.
2021-2-24
Use props
XY Plane
lvl.2
United States

The problem that I have, is that imagine I wasn't using a gimbal for a moment and just hand holding a cell phone and recording and wasn't walking. It looks like I'm rotating the cellphone like I'm twisting a knob back and forth and that effect on the image is the problem that I have. Maybe using the horizon as a reference to the problem was my mistake because even when I try to manually rotate the image in post to level things out using a grid it doesn't seem to work well
2021-2-24
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Well... I spend a lot of time (why?!) looking at people's gimbal videos and pointing out problems where they've (for instance) used FPV mode causing the horizon to be off, and general instability, or in the case of some cameras looking for gimbal firmware faults causing problems, and I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss with your example at all.  Walking close to a wall or fence will always make vertical instability (4th axis) more obvious.

[Edit - in fact I'd rate your 'ninja walk' pretty highly - there's little vertical movement - perhaps a bit of side to side sway - but generally, personally I'm not seeing a problem.  See whether anyone else comments differently.]

2021-2-24
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

It does look like it’s mostly z axis movement with a bit of side to side thrown in. The only thing I can suggest is google how to ninja walk, yeah it is a thing for gimbals I ain’t making it up.
2021-2-24
Use props
XY Plane
lvl.2
United States

I still have this problem ongoing today and right now experimenting with how I hold the camera, how tight I’m gripping it and what shoes I’m wear etc. One thing that changed was the nd filter. I had newwer nd filters that I bought when I had my pocket 1, then I dropped and broke the nd4 one and bought a replacement from neewer, but however the recent version I bought of nd filter is slightly different even though they’re both from neewer. I have to try the nd8 from the old set of filters to test the difference.

I’ve already watched alot of videos of people walking with the pocket 2 and some don’t seem to have this problem. I have older videos taken with the pocket 2 that don’t have this problem. I want to try to downgrade the firmware to a previous version.

And again I don’t care about the up and down bobbing this isn’t a cinematic. My problem is the tilt not staying locked when I walk. I’m posting this to hopefully bump it so I don’t start a new thread.
2021-3-18
Use props
XY Plane
lvl.2
United States

If I have to I will make a video just highlighting what is wrong. In the example video I thought maybe it was doing that because of the snow and how it effects my walking because the surface is uneven. However in recent test with flat ground the problem is still there.

I wonder if I damaged the gimbal by removing the nd filter every single time I was about to turn it off because I didn’t want the gimbal to crash into itself with the filter on. Every time I would pull it off there would be massive vibrations of course.

Right now instead when I turn the camera off with the filter on, the gimbal head parks itself outward so it doesn’t crash. However before it comes to a stop, the gimbal tilts up and down a few times and I don’t know if it’s suppose to be like that.
2021-3-18
Use props
Aavalaakso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I don't find anything else from that video except that it is mirror image.
Or a bit looks swinging left and right while walking but I don't know is that just illusion. Any videos to compare?
2021-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules