996 26 2021-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tasos GR
First Officer
Flight distance : 15880722 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Mediterranean Sky: The legendary ship that was decommissioned in the port of Patras in the late ‘80s, despite being abandoned in Elefsina, is a different attraction.
360 in Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/QdhdktKeECi5P6Gc8

2021-2-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beautiful footage.   Its strongly drawn to ship wrecks like this,    do you know why it was never salvaged?
2021-2-25
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Nice footage of the ship wreck Tasos. I love ship wrecks and especially if you can dive on them. Do you know if it is possible and allowed to dive on this ship wreck? Diving and filming under water is my hobby. I have not been able to find anything about this, but I found this:

Due to the major financial problems encountered by the shipowner, from summer 1996 to February 1999, the ship remained decommissioned at the (old) port of Patras, in Molos. of St. Nicholas. The ship at the expense of the Patras Port Authority was transferred to Elefsina, where it remained abandoned and bound by the company's debts. Slowly the Mediterranean Sky began to tilt, until it finally hit. Although it was decided in 2009 to remove the ship along with 17 other shipwrecks in the Gulf of Elefsina, this was not done.
2021-2-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Tasos,

Nice video.  Aside from the shipwreck, the whole area looks very interesting.  Like Flys asked, any more information?

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Tasos GR. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this amazing video you have filmed. Great work and keep on flying. .
2021-2-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful footage Tasos.    I'm really surprised that no salvage at all was done, even the lifeboats remain onboard.  I would imagine there were legal issues precluding any salvage work.  

Elefsina is a very scenic location.  Have a great day.  
2021-2-25
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

DAFlys Posted at 2-25 01:14
Beautiful footage.   Its strongly drawn to ship wrecks like this,    do you know why it was never salvaged?

The legendary ship that was decommissioned in the port of Patras in the late ‘80s, despite being abandoned in Elefsina, is a different attraction.

The luxurious "Mediterranean Sky" was built in 1953 and, having changed three names, was decommissioned in the late '80s. It was in fact the first ship that made the route Patras - Venice, while in winter it was chartered for cruises.

Among other things, it had luxurious and fully equipped cabins, two swimming pools, elegant bars, and even wooden decks that were polished and changed every year.

Due to the great financial problems faced by the ship-owning company, from the summer of 1996 to February 1999, it was decommissioned in the (old today) port of Patras, at the Pier of Agios Nikolaos, exactly where the "Ionian Queen" is today. .

After months of efforts and after many courts, the ship was removed at the expense of the then Port Fund of Patras and was towed to Elefsina, where until the fall of 2003 it remained frozen for the company's debts.

However, the chronic abandonment and a great bad weather led to its "end". The ship tilted, was towed to the shallows and after some time, it was battered and since then it is in the condition recorded in the video above.
2021-2-25
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

kyalami Posted at 2-25 01:38
Nice footage of the ship wreck Tasos. I love ship wrecks and especially if you can dive on them. Do you know if it is possible and allowed to dive on this ship wreck? Diving and filming under water is my hobby. I have not been able to find anything about this, but I found this:

Due to the major financial problems encountered by the shipowner, from summer 1996 to February 1999, the ship remained decommissioned at the (old) port of Patras, in Molos. of St. Nicholas. The ship at the expense of the Patras Port Authority was transferred to Elefsina, where it remained abandoned and bound by the company's debts. Slowly the Mediterranean Sky began to tilt, until it finally hit. Although it was decided in 2009 to remove the ship along with 17 other shipwrecks in the Gulf of Elefsina, this was not done.

This is exactly the story and as far as I know yes diving and videotaping are allowed
2021-2-25
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

Cetacean Posted at 2-25 01:40
Aloha Tasos,

Nice video.  Aside from the shipwreck, the whole area looks very interesting.  Like Flys asked, any more information?

The legendary ship that was decommissioned in the port of Patras in the late ‘80s, despite being abandoned in Elefsina, is a different attraction.

The luxurious "Mediterranean Sky" was built in 1953 and, having changed three names, was decommissioned in the late '80s. It was in fact the first ship that made the route Patras - Venice, while in winter it was chartered for cruises.

Among other things, it had luxurious and fully equipped cabins, two swimming pools, elegant bars, and even wooden decks that were polished and changed every year.

Due to the great financial problems faced by the ship-owning company, from the summer of 1996 to February 1999, it was decommissioned in the (old today) port of Patras, at the Pier of Agios Nikolaos, exactly where the "Ionian Queen" is today. .

After months of efforts and after many courts, the ship was removed at the expense of the then Port Fund of Patras and was towed to Elefsina, where until the fall of 2003 it remained frozen for the company's debts.

However, the chronic abandonment and a great bad weather led to its "end". The ship tilted, was towed to the shallows and after some time, it was battered and since then it is in the condition recorded in the video above.
2021-2-25
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-25 02:10
Hello there Tasos GR. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this amazing video you have filmed. Great work and keep on flying. .

Thank you so much for your feedback and your kind words.. appreciated! have a wonderful day
2021-2-25
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-25 06:54
Beautiful footage Tasos.    I'm really surprised that no salvage at all was done, even the lifeboats remain onboard.  I would imagine there were legal issues precluding any salvage work.  

Elefsina is a very scenic location.  Have a great day.

This is the story:

2021-2-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tasos GR Posted at 2-25 08:00

OH wow,  so no insurance to salvage it and no help from the movement either no doubt.  Do people swim out to it in the summer?
2021-2-25
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

Tasos GR Posted at 2-25 08:02
This is exactly the story and as far as I know yes diving and videotaping are allowed

Many thanks for that Tasos. I will check up on this towards summer and when its possible to travel again.
2021-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Tasos GR Posted at 2-25 08:03
Thank you so much for your feedback and your kind words.. appreciated! have a wonderful day

Hi there Tasos GR. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Again thank you for your support and have a wonderful day as well. .
2021-2-25
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tasos GR Posted at 2-25 08:02

Aloha Tasos,

Mahalo for the information.  I found it on Google Earth.  Interesting history.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2021-2-25
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

DAFlys Posted at 2-25 09:18
OH wow,  so no insurance to salvage it and no help from the movement either no doubt.  Do people swim out to it in the summer?

I do not think the water is so good for swimming around
2021-2-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tasos GR Posted at 2-25 08:04
This is the story:

Very interesting Tasos.  Thanks.  
2021-2-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very well captured!
2021-2-26
Use props
_stefanos_
lvl.1

Greece

Άψογος! excellent work!
2021-2-26
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

Thank you so much for your feedback! Have a wonderful day!
2021-2-26
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

_stefanos_ Posted at 2-26 10:36
Άψογος! excellent work!

Thank you so much for your feedback! Have a wonderful day! Ευχαριστώ πολύ!!
2021-2-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Tasos GR Posted at 2-26 10:54
Thank you so much for your feedback! Have a wonderful day!

You're welcome!
2021-2-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tasos GR Posted at 2-26 01:27
I do not think the water is so good for swimming around

Theres a similar but smaller wreck I visited in Lanzarote and although the water there looks very polluted it attracts some kids swimming.
2021-2-27
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer
  • >>>
Greece

DAFlys Posted at 2-27 00:59
Theres a similar but smaller wreck I visited in Lanzarote and although the water there looks very polluted it attracts some kids swimming.

may be suitable for swimming here too.. I do not know.. I have never come to this place in the summer and I have never seen anyone swim
2021-2-27
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Very nice.
2021-2-27
Use props
Tasos GR
First Officer