Forced PCB update disabling P2 batteries?
1209 3 2014-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cellarboy
lvl.1
Canada

Word is going around the 'net today that a forced (ie does not need approval and cannot be stopped) PCB update is being downloaded to any Phantom 2 which disables the use of any battery with v1.6.0.0 firmware loaded. This includes DJI batteries that could not be updated to the new 2.6.0.0 firmware and 3rd party batteries, which all have 1.6.0.0.

Is this true? Myself I have several 1.6.0.0 DJI batteries (plus 1 Limefuel) and I don't appreciate having these disabled, especially by downloading software without my consent. Of course I suspect if it is it was done to to shut out 3rd parties, but to disable genuine DJI batteries too in the process is ridiculous.

Would anyone from DJI care to comment?
2014-11-23
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Yes. Its been discussed in great concern in other forums (rcgroups,phantompilots)
Its specific purpose is to prevent the use of third party batteries (hence auto updating without user consent).

Not sure if disabling the old firmware was a deliberate "sacrifice" to stopping third party batts or an accident but updating WILL stop third party and older OEM batteries from working.

Only way to prevent this update is using the assistant on a computer with no internet connect.
Hopefully its just a mistake and DJI corrects it soon..I did want to get one of those 6000mAh batteries, I hear they work really well and longer flights.
2014-11-23
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I hope this is not true ! :-( I have a car but no one forces me what make of fuel to use in it , I bought the Phantom without this restriction so will be very annoyed if I am being forced to use only DJI own products , my money paid for my Phantom so I should have the choice on what is installed
2014-11-24
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-11-24 14:08
Yes. Its been discussed in great concern in other forums (rcgroups,phantompilots)
Its specific purpo ...

If they are disabling there own make batteries old or not , then a new compatible one should be supplied F.O.C !
2014-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules