5 day battery, argh
893 13 2021-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1376841 ft
United States

I just want to briefly vent on the auto discharge on the batteries. If there was one thing I'd change on the Air 2, it's the 5-day discharge. Every Friday it's the same story. I ponder if I'm going to fly over the weekend and I have to load up all my batteries and charge them because they have already discharged from the previous weekend. If it could double the days to 10 or say only discharge to 80% for 10 days it would be, well, doubly better. Sometimes you get an opportunity to fly during the week and if you didn't charge them up over the weekend, sorry pal, you've got a 60% battery. The Mini 2's last for at least a couple of weeks @ well over 80%, maybe 3. I just had to say this for the remote possibility that we get an option to control the discharge rate.
2021-2-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Do you realise the reason the batteries discharge?
You just need to understand that they require charging before you can fly.

2021-2-26
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-26 16:23
Do you realise the reason the batteries discharge?
You just need to understand that they require charging before you can fly.

I knew that response was coming.   It has something to do with not swelling and/or exploding.

I don't really care what the reason is (and I say that in a nice way, not a mean way). My point is, it's a PITA and possibly a design side effect. My Phantom 3 didn't have this quick of a discharge, the Mini 2 doesn't have this quick of a discharge, but the Air 2 does. Why? I don't know and again, I don't care from the standpoint of I know it is possible to get a longer "hold" of a charge in other batteries. I hope you get where I'm coming from. There is probably zero chance anything is going to happen with the Air 2 on this issue. Maybe, by bringing it up, it helps to not have the same design side effect on the v3.
2021-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

InsaneDiego Posted at 2-26 16:46
I knew that response was coming.   It has something to do with not swelling and/or exploding.

I don't really care what the reason is (and I say that in a nice way, not a mean way). My point is, it's a PITA and possibly a design side effect. My Phantom 3 didn't have this quick of a discharge, the Mini 2 doesn't have this quick of a discharge, but the Air 2 does. Why? I don't know and again, I don't care from the standpoint of I know it is possible to get a longer "hold" of a charge in other batteries. I hope you get where I'm coming from. There is probably zero chance anything is going to happen with the Air 2 on this issue. Maybe, by bringing it up, it helps to not have the same design side effect on the v3.

It is one of the penalties for using the latest battery technology, and unfortunately you are going to have to live with it. It is not a design defect, it is a design limitation, and one that applies to any device using lithium polymer batteries. I owned a P3, and I still had the same issue, but learned to deal with it.

Discard the idea that you can charge your batteries and then grab them at any time. Rather, plan to charge the batteries just before you intend to use them.
2021-2-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

You do not have to live with it if it's that important. You can leave the batteries on the charger and they will stay at 100%. Won't last a s long that way but it may be ok with you if you don't mind replacing them more often. I always have one battery of the three on the charger to keep it at 100% but I do rotate them each week.
2021-2-26
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 2-26 19:22
You do not have to live with it if it's that important. You can leave the batteries on the charger and they will stay at 100%. Won't last a s long that way but it may be ok with you if you don't mind replacing them more often. I always have one battery of the three on the charger to keep it at 100% but I do rotate them each week.

I thought about that. What kind of less lifetime are we talking about?
2021-2-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

InsaneDiego Posted at 2-26 19:28
I thought about that. What kind of less lifetime are we talking about?

I cannot answer that but it could be as much as 50%. Perhaps some members here have a better estimate.
2021-2-26
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-26 17:41
It is one of the penalties for using the latest battery technology, and unfortunately you are going to have to live with it. It is not a design defect, it is a design limitation, and one that applies to any device using lithium polymer batteries. I owned a P3, and I still had the same issue, but learned to deal with it.

Discard the idea that you can charge your batteries and then grab them at any time. Rather, plan to charge the batteries just before you intend to use them.

Ya, that's my (personal) problem. I'm not quite sure when I will go out to fly. When I do decide to go out, it's along the lines of, hey, let's go someplace (within the next 30 minutes). Oh wait, I have to charge my batteries. No problem, that will only take 2 1/2 hours.

Again, it's my issue, but it's rare that I have an actual predetermined fly schedule. This drone is one of the few things I have where I have to truly plan ahead to use it. I've seen others bring up the issue. I just wanted to add to the voices since I just plugged them in and once again missed my window of opportunity.
2021-2-26
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

InsaneDiego Posted at 2-26 16:46
I knew that response was coming.   It has something to do with not swelling and/or exploding.

I don't really care what the reason is (and I say that in a nice way, not a mean way). My point is, it's a PITA and possibly a design side effect. My Phantom 3 didn't have this quick of a discharge, the Mini 2 doesn't have this quick of a discharge, but the Air 2 does. Why? I don't know and again, I don't care from the standpoint of I know it is possible to get a longer "hold" of a charge in other batteries. I hope you get where I'm coming from. There is probably zero chance anything is going to happen with the Air 2 on this issue. Maybe, by bringing it up, it helps to not have the same design side effect on the v3.

no, not swelling or exploding. The reason for the auto discharge is for the cells internal resistance. Lipo chemistry doesn't like to be at a full charge for extended periods of time. It messes with the resistance of the cell and in turn the pack will discharge faster when called upon. In addition the cells can or may become unbalanced and discharge at different rates during flights which could lead to a catastrophic pack failure, and crash. a fully charged pack should be "flown" within 4 days after charge. If they are stored for long periods of time ( over winter) they should be drained to 3.8 to 3.85 volts per cell. It is simply a battery longevity issue, and pack maintenance.
2021-2-28
Use props
DIY_Quad
lvl.4
United States

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=230810
This doesn't quite solve your problem, but it gives you an idea how much you can extend life of your batteries if you under charge them just little bit and importance of keeping it at around 50% whenever not in use.

2021-2-28
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

I just got an MA2 yesterday. Seeing your post is helpful, as I'm the same way. I like to charge up all the batteries and load everything in a bag for when I'm ready to drone. But that could be the next day or 2 weeks later. Now I know I'll have to plan the charging ahead of time and won't be able to just randomly grab and go like before.
2021-2-28
Use props
SuperWinnieperruna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

IT happened before my MA2 CRASH, but dji mini o mini 2 are ok, they havent this Discharge behaviour after weeks without use them
2021-2-28
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I got a Hanatora Battery Charger...you can charge partially or fully...or you can take a fully charged battery and discharge back to partial.  It also has a car charging adapter.  So if my batteries are partially charged I just pop them on the car adapter as I head out to the spur of the moment place I want to fly.  They won't fully charge but they will charge somewhat more than the partial charge.  My last drone was the Spark with about 12 minutes of flight time taking the battery down to critically low so I'm definitely getting more flying time on my MA2 partially charged batteries that have been topped off on the way to where I want to fly.https://www.amazon.com/Hanatora- ... ExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
2021-2-28
Use props
InsaneDiego
lvl.4
United States

Thank you all for the constructive comments. Lots of good information!
2021-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules