How to convert/trim P3P video for GoPro studio
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tcoleyrn
lvl.2

United States

Does anyone know how to be able to "trim" the videos from P3P in GoPro Studio software for editing?  I am wanting to use this software since I am familiar and I want to combine some video from the phantom and from a GoPro. As I import the P3 videos it says "trimming available for GoPro source clips only". Does anyone know a way around this? I have lots of fireworks footage but I want to trim out the dark/down time between the fireworks.
2015-7-10
Use props
tcoleyrn
lvl.2

United States

Or am I just stuck not being able to use GoPro studio for P3 video>?
2015-7-10
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

You can only trim *native* GoPro video with the GoPro Studio. However, you can convert first (I typically convert in AVI format) and then you can trim/split to your heart's content.
2015-7-10
Use props
tcoleyrn
lvl.2

United States

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-7-11 09:40
You can only trim *native* GoPro video with the GoPro Studio. However, you can convert first (I typi ...

Are you saying you can convert the video to something like "gopro native"  and then trim inside the gopro studio software?  If so how do you do this?  I do not like the "trim"  method of windows movie maker and I am trying to figure out how to do it with Gopro studio.  Thanks for your help
2015-7-10
Use props
przemek
lvl.2
Poland

I would suggest you to move to Sony Movie Studio software, it's quite cheap and has a lots of possibilities, it's also easy to use.
2015-7-10
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

tcoleyrn Posted at 2015-7-11 10:00
Are you saying you can convert the video to something like "gopro native"  and then trim inside th ...

No - here's how it works for me.

Open GoPro Studio.
Select media/import, etc., and open the P3P video.

Since this video is NOT "native" the trim options are not made available.

Select the video
(You may select multiple videos here as well)
Mark for CONVERSION (mine defaults to .AVI - works fine for me)
Start the CONVERSION (you can convert all  of your selections at one time)

When conversion is complete click on STEP 2, select a default template and you're ready to start "building" your video. If you're not already familiar with GoPro Studio, there is an on-line tutorial and there are gobs of YouTube videos. It's very easy to use.

Now that your videos are in a format that can be edited, you can trim, cut, paste, copy, etc. during your editing process. Since you're working with a video that is NOT GoPro *native* there's essentially the extra step involved. If it doesn't look immediately intuitive, DON'T PANIC! Remember, you can always place another copy of any video/clip on the timeline and edit a different part of it. Between the capability of clipping or splitting, the sky's the limit.

Since the clip/video is not GoPro "native" you'll only be missing one thing - you will not see an option to remove fisheye - doesn't matter cuz there isn't any in your P3P video/clip!

As I wrote above, there are numerous tutorials available on the web and YouTube is loaded with hints and tips. If you're still somewhat confused, don't hesitate to contact me off-line. You can reach me via aburkefl at gmail dot com - be tickled to get you over the hump. Once you've done a couple of them in the studio, I think you'll be very comfortable.

There *are* several editing packages out there I think are better, but none of them are free - GoPro Studio is very well supported and it's absolutely free of charge.

Movie Maker is still available and it's also still free, but it seems every time Microsoft updates its operating system, they omit one more feature from Movie Maker. Older versions were better than the current version. It's also significantly slower (in my opinion) than GoPro Studio.
2015-7-11
Use props
tcoleyrn
lvl.2

United States

Awesome! Thanks aburkefl.  I am familiar with GoPro Studio I just couldn't figure out how to trim the video clips.  I ended up  using Movie Maker to trim the video and imported to GoPro.  I didn't realize that you could cut/trim/paste etc. after the conversion in GoPro.  Im sure I'll eventually have more questions.  Thanks.  
2015-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules