Maximizing battery life
5702 8 2021-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
Flight distance : 163862 ft
United States

A couple of questions regarding battery life.  How much does the extension rod drain the battery?  Does it drain the battery when the Pocket is clipped in but not turned on?  Does the Do It All handle drain the battery when it is attached but not connected to anything, ie. is it searching for a device to connect to?  How much does the Do It All handle drain the battery when connected to your phone using the Mimo app?
2021-2-27
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's been said by DJI in the past that the extension rod requires very little power from the Pocket 1 and I would be surprised if that was any different from the new model.  It seems that power is required only to turn on the camera - I suspect there's something akin to a button cell in there, not a full size battery.  The do-it-all handle would be more likely to cause measurable drain.  I've not seen any reports of anyone trying to measure how long the camera runs with or without.
2021-2-28
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

The do-it-all handle when connected to phone using wifi sucks battery at 1% per minute in ideal condition & if I am filming or watching stored video then it consumes 1.5-2% per minute. That means at ideal condition it will go 100-0% in less than 100 minutes & while shooting 60fps with BT mike connected it will give barely 50-70 mins of backup.  

If you connect a power bank & then shoot while connected the battery backup improves (it hardly discharges) since its getting power & charged continousely however it gets too hot to handle.

2021-3-5
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
United States

Ranjan Posted at 3-5 04:05
The do-it-all handle when connected to phone using wifi sucks battery at 1% per minute in ideal condition & if I am filming or watching stored video then it consumes 1.5-2% per minute. That means at ideal condition it will go 100-0% in less than 100 minutes & while shooting 60fps with BT mike connected it will give barely 50-70 mins of backup.  

Next time out I'll try working with a cable connection between the pocket and my phone.  It will increase battery life and I won't have the lag at start up waiting for the phone to connect to the Pocket 2.  However, that's one more thing to carry and deal with, negating the small size advantage of the Pocket 2.
2021-3-5
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
United States

Viva Terlingua Posted at 3-5 10:01
Next time out I'll try working with a cable connection between the pocket and my phone.  It will increase battery life and I won't have the lag at start up waiting for the phone to connect to the Pocket 2.  However, that's one more thing to carry and deal with, negating the small size advantage of the Pocket 2.

Well so much for that idea.  The Pocket 2 will not connect to the phone via cable when the Do it All handle is attached.  It keeps trying to attach via wifi.  If I remove the Do it All handle I can then connect via the cable but that's not a very good solution for me.  I would still like to keep the Do it All handle attached for composing tripod shots.  Also, switching handles out is tedious.  Not so much the Do it All handle, but removing the tripod mount is very difficult.
2021-3-9
Use props
Viva Terlingua
lvl.2
United States

Ranjan Posted at 3-5 04:05

Wish there was a way to power off the do it all handle when not needed.
2021-3-9
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Viva Terlingua Posted at 3-9 07:04
Well so much for that idea.  The Pocket 2 will not connect to the phone via cable when the Do it All handle is attached.  It keeps trying to attach via wifi.  If I remove the Do it All handle I can then connect via the cable but that's not a very good solution for me.  I would still like to keep the Do it All handle attached for composing tripod shots.  Also, switching handles out is tedious.  Not so much the Do it All handle, but removing the tripod mount is very difficult.

Ideal is that you connect the phone via wifi (Do it all handle) then plug in the power bank with cable to power the handle, that is what I am planning to test tomorrow this setup has an advantage that you can disconnect wifi in between when doing longer time lapse & reconnect just to check. The timelapse continues with or without wifi.

Hope this makes a better idea.
2021-3-9
Use props
Psoon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16279465 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ranjan Posted at 3-9 09:05
Ideal is that you connect the phone via wifi (Do it all handle) then plug in the power bank with cable to power the handle, that is what I am planning to test tomorrow this setup has an advantage that you can disconnect wifi in between when doing longer time lapse & reconnect just to check. The timelapse continues with or without wifi.

Hope this makes a better idea.

Thats my current setup during hikes - powerbank connected to Pocket 2 via the Do-It-All handle to maintain constant power, and phone connected via WiFi to compose and monitor.
2021-3-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I am wondering the same thing, tried to look for a suitable power bank but haven't found one that I know for sure to be compatible, to keep the camera rolling without shutting down in the middle of the recording and to not damage the Pocket 2.

DJI has stated that using an AC adapter while recording is not recommended due to possible overheating, so that rules that option out.

I was wondering if one of these could do the trick: https://www.anker.com/es/products/variant/powercore-metro-20,000-mah-battery/A1268H11-2

Anyone having experiences about this one?
2021-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules