Distance drift
541 16 2021-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crash1sttime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Just got my hands on a Mini 2, i've noticed that when i take off and hover over the landing pad the distance from home point starts to go up, it usually stops around 2.5m or so, 17 satellites locked so its not a GPS issue.

Ive done all the calibrations I can do and its on the latest firmware and app is 1.2.2

Ive got screen recordings of this if anyone wants to see

2021-2-28
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

I’ve noticed the same as well...Not to mention the RTH landings are off by a few feet
2021-2-28
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 2-28 10:28
I’ve noticed the same as well...Not to mention the RTH landings are off by a few feet

Yes I noticed that today whilst testing, always seems to be about about 5ft,  I also have video of that as well
2021-2-28
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Latest firmware is 1.2.4 android & 1.2.5 iOs. The drone will drift small amounts, and landing is not stated as being within inches.
2021-2-28
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 2-28 12:32
Latest firmware is 1.2.4 android & 1.2.5 iOs. The drone will drift small amounts, and landing is not stated as being within inches.

Latest firmware ?

No other quad drifts, not even my old phantom 3 or my Mavic Pro, so why does the newest quad that DJI produce do it
2021-2-28
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

It dose not have precision landing.
Drifting, a little is normal I’m guessing However if you have nicks in the blades or was stored in a way the blades were bent from storage can cause it also. In a warm area the blades should go back to normal.
I check my blades by lightly my finger along the leading edge top and bottom outward. If I feel anything I use a fingernail emery  board lengthwise not across the blade . I only remove the burr. . Yea Incase someone says something I know blades are cheap.
Doug
2021-2-28
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

videoeditman Posted at 2-28 12:32

Nobody ever said it would be within inches did they ? But many ppl have said it’s many feet
2021-2-28
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2-28 10:47
Yes I noticed that today whilst testing, always seems to be about about 5ft,  I also have video of that as well

Imo 5 feet is pretty bad ...
2021-2-28
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Donut Michigan Posted at 2-28 13:18
It dose not have precision landing.
Drifting, a little is normal I’m guessing However if you have nicks in the blades or was stored in a way the blades were bent from storage can cause it also. In a warm area the blades should go back to normal.
I check my blades by lightly my finger along the leading edge top and bottom outward. If I feel anything I use a fingernail emery  board lengthwise not across the blade . I only remove the burr. . Yea Incase someone says something I know blades are cheap.

Even my mavic without using precision landing is more accurate, it’s the same system in place, mark a home point using GPS and then fly back and land on it, it shouldn’t be out as much as 5ft, that’s as bad as my old phantom 2 that only locked 7 satellites.

As for the blades, sorry but blades being damaged ( and this is a new quad with new blades) wouldn’t affect in anyway RTH precision
2021-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

crash1sttime Posted at 2-28 15:03
Even my mavic without using precision landing is more accurate, it’s the same system in place, mark a home point using GPS and then fly back and land on it, it shouldn’t be out as much as 5ft, that’s as bad as my old phantom 2 that only locked 7 satellites.

As for the blades, sorry but blades being damaged ( and this is a new quad with new blades) wouldn’t affect in anyway RTH precision

it shouldn’t be out as much as 5ft, that’s as bad as my old phantom 2 that only locked 7 satellites.
Your expectations are the problem.
There's nothing wrong with your drone and nothing you can do about it.
It's performing normally.

Consumer GPS cannot give you pinpoint accuracy.
It might sometimes put you within 5 ft, sometimes it could be a little more.

And if you checked the specs from DJI, they say:
Hovering Accuracy Range
    Vertical: ±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
    Horizontal: ±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
2021-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 2-28 14:50
Imo 5 feet is pretty bad ...

Surprise
Here's a newsflash for you:
https://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/
2021-2-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

GPS accuracy is not the same as GPS repeatability. Today I tested mine by blinding ALL position sensors. It still landed perfectly on the 30" diameter pad after RTH several times even though the acual touchdown was a bit hard. I was quite surprised.
2021-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 2-28 15:54
GPS accuracy is not the same as GPS repeatability. Today I tested mine by blinding ALL position sensors. It still landed perfectly on the 30" diameter pad after RTH several times even though the acual touchdown was a bit hard. I was quite surprised.

I understand the difference between accuracy and precision.
GPS precision is dodgy too.
Have a look at this website to see demonstrations of the error in horizontal positioning.
https://gnssperformancemonitor.c ... on=0&timespan=0
If the repeatability was good, you wouldn't get graphs like these.

2021-2-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-28 17:03
I understand the difference between accuracy and precision.
GPS precision is dodgy too.
Have a look at this website to see demonstrations of the error in horizontal positioning.

Not precision,.....REPEATABILITY. There is a big difference. One is absolute and the other is relative and SHORT TERM. Accuracy is the difference between the GPS numbers and the actual position in the service area. Repeatability is about the difference in indicated position from one fix to the next. When my drone returns to the same exact place each time just 20 minutes later, it couldn't care less in which county.

No need to refer me to some simple demos. I worked for several years in a government navigation system in the 70's called LORAN. Similar to GPS, but land-based and without the altitude capability.
2021-2-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 2-28 19:57
Not precision,.....REPEATABILITY. There is a big difference. One is absolute and the other is relative and SHORT TERM. Accuracy is the difference between the GPS numbers and the actual position in the service area. Repeatability is about the difference in indicated position from one fix to the next. When my drone returns to the same exact place each time just 20 minutes later, it couldn't care less in which county.

No need to refer me to some simple demos. I worked for several years in a government navigation system in the 70's called LORAN. Similar to GPS, but land-based and without the altitude capability.

Repeatability is about the difference in indicated position from one fix to the next. When my drone returns to the same exact place each time just 20 minutes later
Fantastic ... you got a few shots in the same area, that's great.
Now try it 30 times and get back to me to tell me that it's within 30 inches each time.
I've only been working professionally with GPS since 1994 so what would I know about how repeatably accurate GPS is.

it couldn't care less in which county.
Neither could I ... what's that got to do with anything?
2021-2-28
Use props
crash1sttime
Second Officer
United Kingdom

well that blew up pretty quick, sorry I asked, seems this forum is full of people who just look for a reason to argue and compare penis size.

Im lucky I was just testing the M2 and dont have to worry about it, i was just asking
2021-3-3
Use props
George GR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2990653 ft
Greece

crash1sttime Posted at 3-3 08:37
well that blew up pretty quick, sorry I asked, seems this forum is full of people who just look for a reason to argue and compare penis size.

Im lucky I was just testing the M2 and dont have to worry about it, i was just asking

compare penis size. ?!?!?!?
2021-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules