Smart Controller + MA2 dramatically dropped the range.
3419 10 2021-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vitaly258
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,
I haven't fly for quite long time and yesterday went to Jurassic Coast in Devon to take some videos.
I was unpleasantly surprised that in the distance of 500 meters from start SC showed me "Weak signal. Adjust antennas". After 600-650 meters the SC had lost control completely. MA2 has a direct radio connection with Smart Controller over the sea and has no obstacles.

It seems very weird so today I've tried to test it again in the different place. It was fields with some trees but result was absolutely the same - in 560 meters from my point I had a week signal from Smart Controller and after 600 meters I completely lost MA2.
Then I've just changed Smart Controller for stock one and stock controller has flown 2,500 meters in the same direction without any problem.

I've tried this experiment again with SC firmware degraded to V1.00.0860 but without any result - Smart Controller flies 600 meters max while stock controller flies 5 times longer without any problem in the same area.

Any ideas?

Mavic Air 2
fw: V01.01.0610

Stock Controller
fw: V02.00.1200
iPhone 12 Pro iOS 14.4, DJI Fly 1.2.5 (425)

Smart Controller
fw: V1.00.0880
DJI Fly 1.2.4

2021-2-28
Use props
OlliM1971
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309199 ft
Germany

I have exactly the same problem with the SC, but also no solution.
I’m using the SC with a Mavic 2 Pro (and the Go 4 app). All running the latest firmware...
2021-3-1
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

How do you have the antenna on the Smart Controller pointed?
2021-3-1
Use props
vitaly258
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311375 ft
United Kingdom

jmb63 Posted at 3-1 04:11
How do you have the antenna on the Smart Controller pointed?

proper way
2021-3-1
Use props
Sn4pper
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Does the DJI Go4 App on the Smart Control also crash?

I am having a similar issue where the App Crashes and the Drone Returns to home point.
2021-3-1
Use props
E2UNTAE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 607612 ft
South Korea

We are having the same problem. We are having problems after the Mavic Air 2 December update, and we are curious when DJI will solve this problem.
2021-3-1
Use props
OlliM1971
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309199 ft
Germany

Sn4pper Posted at 3-1 09:33
Does the DJI Go4 App on the Smart Control also crash?

I am having a similar issue where the App Crashes and the Drone Returns to home point.

The Go 4 isn’t crashing on my SC. In the meantime I also updated to the latest version from the DJI download portal - also without issues. However, I had to reset the SC after the latest update, before it was working stable...
2021-3-1
Use props
E2UNTAE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 607612 ft
South Korea

I've been looking forward to updating to DJI FLY App 1.3.0, but it's the same.. The smart controller is really useless..
2021-3-2
Use props
djiuser_0Vnd4xeIXNp7
lvl.1

United States

Posting here to try and get some help.  I will create a new thread as well as soon as DJI lets me.  I'm very very irritated with them at the moment.  

Just bought the Air2 fly more with sc.  Updated everything as soon as I unboxed it (I'm an AIX/Cisco admin, consider me well versed in updates).  In the past week of flying, I lose signal around the 500M mark on totally flat ground with nothing in between.  I'm in AZ and trying things on a completely flat desert.  Got the antennas pointed at the drone, so that shouldn't be the problem.

My bigger issue, however, is that I've had the Fly app crash on me 8 or 9 times so far in maybe 4 hours of flying.  I'm not enthused about this ratio.  I pulled down the 1.3 app, even though it says it isn't compatible, and I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Now that I'm reading more through the forums looking for solutions, it sounds like DJI has almost abandoned the SC.  Lots of people with lots of problems that don't get fixed in a timely manner, considering how much this thing cost.  I'm still in my return window, so if I don't get something from them, I'll be returning it.  That was mostly for DJI to read, not for the general population.  

Plus, what gives with posting?  Trying to create a new thread and it won't let me, even after verifying.  That's total BS in a support forum on a $1500 purchase.

Thanks, Larry
2021-3-5
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Having the same range issue with the smart controller. I had incredible range with the factory MA2 controller but using the SC its terrible. I also live out in the country with very little interference.
Come on DJI fix this.
2021-3-6
Use props
Dr.Lars
lvl.1

United States

Tried the 1.3.0 app on the SC, after I emailed DJI support and 'Jack' said to do so.  Of course, 'Jack' didn't understand what I meant by 'bought an Air 2 with FM and SC'.  He actually asked what I meant by SC, so I don't have the warm fuzzies.

However, I did try it.  It does seem to work fine and does feel smoother somehow.  I only flew for about 25 min, didn't have a problem.  Over the next few days I'll be putting some serious time on it.

Larry
2021-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules