Has your drone been attacked by bird ?
1565 22 2021-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

I came very close two days ago while flying my mini 2 . A large hawk got interested in my mini . I very quickly went about 100 feet up and back to where I took off
2021-3-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there RenegadeCowboyAZ. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that birds are part of our natural environment and I'm sure they're not familiar to the drones that is why they react aggressively when they notice it. Thank you and please fly safe always.
2021-3-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Been attacked a few times now by gulls.   One time three of them chased the drone until I could land it.  They then circled me for a few minutes like vultures.
2021-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a hawk try to take down my MA2 on a recent flight.  Fortunately, I was able to land quickly and take the drone to my car.  The hawk continued to circle above me and wouldn't leave.  As I was flying on privately owned land (mine) I quickly dispatched the hawk to his next life. Sorry, bird lovers.
2021-3-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 00:25
Been attacked a few times now by gulls.   One time three of them chased the drone until I could land it.  They then circled me for a few minutes like vultures.

Have to agree with you 100% DA.  Sea gulls are the worst pests to drone flyers.  They tend to never give up on catching a drone.
2021-3-2
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-1 19:52
Hello there RenegadeCowboyAZ. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Just a reminder that birds are part of our natural environment and I'm sure they're not familiar to the drones that is why they react aggressively when they notice it. Thank you and please fly safe always.

Thanks for your reply ...I wasn’t really questioning why they might attack I know why they do..I was asking how many others had it happen. Hope you have a amazing day
2021-3-2
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-2 08:20
I had a hawk try to take down my MA2 on a recent flight.  Fortunately, I was able to land quickly and take the drone to my car.  The hawk continued to circle above me and wouldn't leave.  As I was flying on privately owned land (mine) I quickly dispatched the hawk to his next life. Sorry, bird lovers.

Wow that’s pretty crazy ...I live in the city and see hawks pretty much everyday. I also noticed other small birds like to chase hawks off
2021-3-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-2 08:22
Have to agree with you 100% DA.  Sea gulls are the worst pests to drone flyers.  They tend to never give up on catching a drone.

Except sea gulls don’t exist.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natu ... 1-8a9c-d03183957e60
2021-3-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I once had a seagull try to catch my MA2 flying at fill tilt (43 mph) and it couldn't keep up ;-)
Who says Sport mode isn't useful.

2021-3-2
Use props
Linsenfest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 199475 ft
Germany

Here in Germany I haven't got problems with birds until now. They fly away if I speed around in sport mode :-D
2021-3-2
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Color your upper body with a silver or red wrap or sticker, I did it on my spark,MP and now for mini2.

2021-3-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-2 10:55
Except sea gulls don’t exist.    https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/natureuk/entries/4cbc654d-9478-4091-8a9c-d03183957e60

Maybe seagulls only exist in the U. S. A.  Either way they are nasty, pesky birds.  LOL.

MerriamWebster.jpg
2021-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-3 06:40
Maybe seagulls only exist in the U. S. A.  Either way they are nasty, pesky birds.  LOL.

Except there not a species.  

2021-3-3
Use props
mark117h
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

I’d say that you did the right thing in getting higher up above the hawk, I have read a few guys that have had success in getting their drones higher up than the bird that’s attacking, the only problem then could be that once you hit the 120 meter high mark that we then have no more height to use, in that case I would say to go sports mode and then try to bring it home safely by dodging and avoiding the hawks advances.

I had a kestrel take a liking to my Mavic Mini, to be fair to the kestrel, all it did was hover and look at the drone, I got it a bit higher than the kestrel, but then all the kestrel did was hover up to that height, luckily I was flying in vlos so went sports mode and landed quick time lol.
2021-3-3
Use props
Raven850
Second Officer
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

yes it has
2021-3-3
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

No, I have had birds fly close by and not alter their course.  Larger predatory birds seem to be indifferent to the drone in my experience.  
2021-3-3
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-3 06:53
Except there not a species.  

[view_image]

Seems the same channel in the UK doesn't believe that nonsense ;-)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49096417

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-54476734

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-49446547

2021-3-3
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

mark117h Posted at 3-3 07:35
I’d say that you did the right thing in getting higher up above the hawk, I have read a few guys that have had success in getting their drones higher up than the bird that’s attacking, the only problem then could be that once you hit the 120 meter high mark that we then have no more height to use, in that case I would say to go sports mode and then try to bring it home safely by dodging and avoiding the hawks advances.

I had a kestrel take a liking to my Mavic Mini, to be fair to the kestrel, all it did was hover and look at the drone, I got it a bit higher than the kestrel, but then all the kestrel did was hover up to that height, luckily I was flying in vlos so went sports mode and landed quick time lol.

That’s pretty much what I did and it worked...My mini 2 is wrapped in orange so it doesn’t help...Thank you for this good info friend
2021-3-3
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

JohnLietzke Posted at 3-3 12:11
No, I have had birds fly close by and not alter their course.  Larger predatory birds seem to be indifferent to the drone in my experience.

That’s good to hear ...I’m thinking some attacks happen bc ppl are around nest
2021-3-3
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

There are some birds that are aggressive to protect their nest.  They might do the same to a drone.  But I have been lucky so far,
2021-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 3-3 15:37
Seems the same channel in the UK doesn't believe that nonsense ;-)

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-49096417

Yeah they're known colloquially as sea gulls but you wont find one on the species list.
2021-3-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 3-2 10:36
Thanks for your reply ...I wasn’t really questioning why they might attack I know why they do..I was asking how many others had it happen. Hope you have a amazing day

Hi there RenegadeCowboyAZ. Thank you for the reply. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-3-5
Use props
Raydog9379
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34360 ft
United States

mark117h Posted at 3-3 07:35
I’d say that you did the right thing in getting higher up above the hawk, I have read a few guys that have had success in getting their drones higher up than the bird that’s attacking, the only problem then could be that once you hit the 120 meter high mark that we then have no more height to use, in that case I would say to go sports mode and then try to bring it home safely by dodging and avoiding the hawks advances.

We have the occasional Peregrine Falcon here, a few bald eagles close to the river, a ton of red tailed hawks, and an occasional great horned owl (my german shepherd managed to catch one as it swooped down). Only hope might be zig zagging and shifting back/forth as even in sport mode any of those will have no issue catching my drone.

Fortunately, I've been pretty lucky so far and haven't had any come after mine.
2021-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules