restricted sales
2608 16 2021-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
malted muse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 213202 ft
United Kingdom

I am newish to drone flying and not sure if this is the place or not but...

Dji have now released their FPV which is fast, easy to fly and comes in at a very attractive price.  It is advertised to be able to be flown by beginers.

With all this in mind - do people think that some drones should only be sold to people with registered licences?  

My fear is that the frequent incedents etc caused by wreckless flying will have a kickback in harder regulations and loss of public tolerance.  I would be interested to know what more experienced people think.
2021-3-4
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need a licence to fly this drone in the UK.   It involves to take a short test and pay registration fee.  You also need a secnd person with you whos competent to act as a spotter which means due to covid that could be tricky for many.
2021-3-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can get more details of the test / registration etc here - http://register-drones.caa.co.uk
2021-3-6
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-6 02:02
You can get more details of the test / registration etc here - http://register-drones.caa.co.uk

I understand that and I have the test.  You need a test to FLY it but not to BUY it - my guess is that a lot of people will buy and fly without a test.
2021-3-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

malted muse Posted at 3-6 06:58
I understand that and I have the test.  You need a test to FLY it but not to BUY it - my guess is that a lot of people will buy and fly without a test.

The app reminds you that you need to register and also reminds you when the rules change.
2021-3-7
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-7 01:33
The app reminds you that you need to register and also reminds you when the rules change.

I understand that, just like when I first flew I was prompted to do a test on the app.  However, there is nothing stopping people just ignoring it.  I say this having just watched a Youtube of someone flying it with goggles whilst sat in a car next to a main road and getting it up to 97mph and doing flips on the first flight - and that is someone with experience.
Never going to make it fully safe but asking whether or not needing registration at point of sale might help.
2021-3-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

malted muse Posted at 3-7 02:28
I understand that, just like when I first flew I was prompted to do a test on the app.  However, there is nothing stopping people just ignoring it.  I say this having just watched a Youtube of someone flying it with goggles whilst sat in a car next to a main road and getting it up to 97mph and doing flips on the first flight - and that is someone with experience.
Never going to make it fully safe but asking whether or not needing registration at point of sale might help.

Half the videos Ive seen so far with it would not be legal.  Either too close too people or structures or no spotter.   And with the UK covid rues its not like your mate can be a spotter at the moment.
2021-3-7
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-7 06:50
Half the videos Ive seen so far with it would not be legal.  Either too close too people or structures or no spotter.   And with the UK covid rues its not like your mate can be a spotter at the moment.

I agree.  There are a lot out there and we all suffer from it.  Even with my mini in an open field by myself I have been approached by a walker who came towards me and asked if I was filming him.  I have been asked at least 4 times if I have a licence.
I like the look of this FPV but if it gets into the 'wrong' hands (as with a lot of drones) I fear that we will all suffer.
I have no problem with taking a test and being registered I just wonder if some drones should need proof of it before they can be purchased.
2021-3-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

malted muse Posted at 3-7 14:09
I agree.  There are a lot out there and we all suffer from it.  Even with my mini in an open field by myself I have been approached by a walker who came towards me and asked if I was filming him.  I have been asked at least 4 times if I have a licence.
I like the look of this FPV but if it gets into the 'wrong' hands (as with a lot of drones) I fear that we will all suffer.
I have no problem with taking a test and being registered I just wonder if some drones should need proof of it before they can be purchased.

Ive been lucky,  only approached once but she was very very angry (for no reason). I was flying over the sea in winter with an empty beach.   Im not sure if a test before purchase would make much difference.
2021-3-8
Use props
djiuser_C0WfUmJDW96F
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26060 ft
Canada

I agree with you, FPV should only sell to someone who got a drone license.
2021-3-15
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_C0WfUmJDW96F Posted at 3-15 23:12
I agree with you, FPV should only sell to someone who got a drone license.

Yes, I know it won't solve the problem completely but it would be a step towards it PLUS it shows that we are showing initiative rather than needing legislation.  
2021-3-16
Use props
Alex Zhang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 917848 ft
Canada

DJI is a for-profit organization. They will not limit to sell their products to people who want to purchase. Unless regulation authority regulates DJI to do so.
2021-3-19
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Alex Zhang Posted at 3-19 11:08
DJI is a for-profit organization. They will not limit to sell their products to people who want to purchase. Unless regulation authority regulates DJI to do so.

I understand that - but there is a risk that regulations that come after there have been problems could restrict sales in a more forceful way, plus if public good will/image is affected then that can knock on to reputation.  Having said that - I think you are right.
2021-3-20
Use props
djiuser_9X6kELqs3Fdy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32516 ft
United Kingdom

Perhaps dji can put geo fence in built up areas. Forcing people to take it too places with less chance of a heavy object with props smashing into someone at 80mph.That said there will always be a few who ruin it for the rest of us. I generally get good reactions when out flying but there are roughly 25% of people for what ever reason do not like drones. All it takes is one major incident with this new drone for laws to be made by people who don't understand or like drones. I think deep down their just well jell init.
2021-3-20
Use props
malted muse
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_9X6kELqs3Fdy Posted at 3-20 15:56
Perhaps dji can put geo fence in built up areas. Forcing people to take it too places with less chance of a heavy object with props smashing into someone at 80mph.That said there will always be a few who ruin it for the rest of us. I generally get good reactions when out flying but there are roughly 25% of people for what ever reason do not like drones. All it takes is one major incident with this new drone for laws to be made by people who don't understand or like drones. I think deep down their just well jell init.

that sounds like an interesting suggestion.  I get mixed reactions when I am out.  Some want to know about it because they want one for a laugh (while I am busy trying to fly), some want to know if I am allowed to film them (I am not filming them).
2021-3-21
Use props
djiuser_iKvSVEEmyNTS
New

United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-7 06:50

How about two-way head sets like motorcyclist or cyclist use? Two people can safely be apart and communicate effectively.

Also, having two way headsets can allow the spotter to move closer to the drones pre determined destination for a better visual of the drone.

IDK, just some thoughts.
2021-3-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_iKvSVEEmyNTS Posted at 3-24 04:28
How about two-way head sets like motorcyclist or cyclist use? Two people can safely be apart and communicate effectively.

Also, having two way headsets can allow the spotter to move closer to the drones pre determined destination for a better visual of the drone.

Under our rules the spotter has to be next to you. Also with the Covid rules we cannot meet people outside unless for exercising.
2021-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules