Mavic 2 pro stutter / flicker
1239 4 2021-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Antmack94
lvl.1
Vietnam

Hi,

First post here and hope you are all well!

I love my new mavic 2 pro and am excited to film more with it. I am in no way a professional film maker but enjoy making the odd vlog or travel video and think the Mavic 2 is a really nice addition to just having a gopro8.

I filmed some clips last week in Vietnam of some cliffs and the footage at points does seem to be a little stuttery / flickering. Would this be a framerate issue and too fast movemant of the gimbal? This was shot in 24fps and I can't remember the iso/app and shutter settings unfortunately.

I know this has probably been posted a fair few times and there are several youtube videos about it aswell which point towards mismatch timeline fps and also moving too fast but I would love for someone to check out the clips in specific and see if this issue would be caused by the same - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtJo29fiQ3g

Any help would be amazing and appreciated guys!

Thanks,
Ant

2021-3-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Need some more details really.
You say 24fps but importantly wat *shutter speed* was used for the filming?
Its possible the stuttering is caused by that sort of mismatch (you should be on 1/50th or so at that frame rate).

Aside from that the M2P has pretty hideous compression causing rapidly moving object such as those rocks to stutter.  If moving too fast this can cause it.  There's nothing you can do if the cause is that other than fly slower, turn slower or go further away.
But my first bet would be check the shutter speed.  Its bright daylight - if you aren't using a good ND filter the shutter speed is going to be way too high.
2021-3-10
Use props
Antmack94
lvl.1
Vietnam

gnirtS Posted at 3-10 05:02
Need some more details really.
You say 24fps but importantly wat *shutter speed* was used for the filming?
Its possible the stuttering is caused by that sort of mismatch (you should be on 1/50th or so at that frame rate).

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Stupidly I can’t remember the shutter speed on these clips. I am definitely assuming it is too high due to the lack of over exposure (no ND used).

I have now ordered some filters and will definitely be using 30 FPS and 1/60 shutter speed. Fingers crossed this will solve it.  

Will also be adjusting the gimble speed
2021-3-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You can use 24fps at 1/50th or so.  The double the FPS is a rough guide not a rule.

I work next door (Thailand) over water and without filters i often see 1/600+ shutter speeds for that type of shot so my money would mainly be on that.

The SRT file should contain the camera settings and shutter speed used.  If you play the video in VLC with the SRT file in the same folder it'll show what settings were used.
Failing that you can open the .SRT file in notepad to see the contents.

For example it contains:-

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:00,033
<font size="36">FrameCnt : 1, DiffTime : 33ms
2021-01-24 15:28:10,431,570
[iso : 100] [shutter : 1/60.0] [fnum : 280] [ev : 0.3] [ct : 7047] [color_md : default] [focal_len : 280] [latitude : x] [longtitude : -x] [altitude: 714.x] </font>

for each frame.
2021-3-10
Use props
Antmack94
lvl.1
Vietnam

gnirtS Posted at 3-10 07:08
You can use 24fps at 1/50th or so.  The double the FPS is a rough guide not a rule.

I work next door (Thailand) over water and without filters i often see 1/600+ shutter speeds for that type of shot so my money would mainly be on that.

Bummer, I undefortunately didn’t have captions turned on
2021-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules