Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ranrick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8721903 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask when encountering strong winds, does the mavic mini automatically counter a strong enough wind with sports mode like angles of tilt, or do you have to manually switch to sports mode to enable that amount of wind resistance?

Also I just want to ask your opinions on how good or bad the handling in sports mode is, since never really tried it out but planning to test it out when I get to fly in a more open area.
2021-3-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You need to manually change to sports mode if the wind is that strong.   I like th free UAV forecast app to check the wind at altitude.
2021-3-5
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

DAFlys Posted at 3-5 04:31
You need to manually change to sports mode if the wind is that strong.   I like th free UAV forecast app to check the wind at altitude.

Oh nice, I'll check that app out then. Thanks again for the tip!
2021-3-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ranrick Posted at 3-5 05:55
Oh nice, I'll check that app out then. Thanks again for the tip!

There’s an option to set the altitude you get the wind alerts for which is useful.
2021-3-5
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

DAFlys Posted at 3-5 06:32
There’s an option to set the altitude you get the wind alerts for which is useful.

Yep I see it now and would help out a lot actually, thanks again!
2021-3-5
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

I also use UAV Forecast or sometimes Ventusky with webbrowser on https://www.ventusky.com/?p=11.8;122.9;5&l=wind-100m
You can check the wind at an altitude of 30,000 meters. ;-))
2021-3-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ranrick Posted at 3-5 06:38
Yep I see it now and would help out a lot actually, thanks again!

No probs.   
2021-3-5
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

jonny007 Posted at 3-5 06:47
I also use UAV Forecast or sometimes Ventusky with webbrowser on https://www.ventusky.com/?p=11.8;122.9;5&l=wind-100m
You can check the wind at an altitude of 30,000 meters. ;-))

Woah Ventusky is pretty detailed and nice too. Thanks for the link and tip!
2021-3-5
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Keep in mind that UAV Forecast winds aloft forecast is not a lot more than a wild ass guess.  Don't depend on it as 100% accurate.  It is based on computer modeling from data taken from likely many miles away from you and quite possibly hours before.  Use it as a guideline, but not gospel.
2021-3-5
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

K6CCC Posted at 3-5 07:50
Keep in mind that UAV Forecast winds aloft forecast is not a lot more than a wild ass guess.  Don't depend on it as 100% accurate.  It is based on computer modeling from data taken from likely many miles away from you and quite possibly hours before.  Use it as a guideline, but not gospel.

Thanks for the heads up and tip, will take note of this and just use it as a guide then. I always have my dji fly app radar view on the lower left at take off or when it feels a bit windy just in case so I can monitor the drone tilt angle without any controller input to observe and estimate wind strength by looking at the drone's tilt direction and how steep it is. It's not detailed in the sense it shows you the wind speed exactly but better than nothing I guess.  
2021-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

When planning to fly I use the UAV Forecast App but also look at the Ventusky.com website for a comparison.  If it is a bit windy I try to fly out against the wind which makes the return flight having a tail wind.  Using sports mode is helpful at times but will use up the battery quicker.  

When you get to an open area try out the sports mode.  Great to be able to get to a spot and return quickly but not useful if trying to obtain cinematic footage.

2021-3-5
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

K6CCC Posted at 3-5 07:50
Keep in mind that UAV Forecast winds aloft forecast is not a lot more than a wild ass guess.  Don't depend on it as 100% accurate.  It is based on computer modeling from data taken from likely many miles away from you and quite possibly hours before.  Use it as a guideline, but not gospel.

I can not confirm. I have had very reliable experiences with regard to wind strength and wind direction with these app und website. Of course not 14 days in advance, if that's what you mean. And what alternatives are there ... a 100 meter long stick with an anemometer on top ? Laborious ;-)
2021-3-5
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

You have to manually switch. I always leave mine in sports mode on windy days
2021-3-5
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Of course not 14 days in advance, if that's what you mean. And what alternatives are there ... a 100 meter long stick with an anemometer on top ? Laborious ;-)

No, not what I mean.  As I said, it is based on computer modeling based on observations that may be many miles away and hours before.  That's going to make it not much more than an educated guess.
About the only way we could get a real time local reading is a tethered balloon.
2021-3-5
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 3-5 16:20
You have to manually switch. I always leave mine in sports mode on windy days

Thanks for the tip, I'm just a bit cautious activating sports mode when I'm not that high up yet, especially I guess during take off and landing since even though I have a bit of space to operate it, just scared of crashing it still onto surrounding stuff especially with the sensitivity of sports mode. But yeah, I'll try to put it into sports mode when I'm at a higher altitude and clear of any obstructions when there's wind.
2021-3-8
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-5 08:13
When planning to fly I use the UAV Forecast App but also look at the Ventusky.com website for a comparison.  If it is a bit windy I try to fly out against the wind which makes the return flight having a tail wind.  Using sports mode is helpful at times but will use up the battery quicker.  

Oh that's a good tip to fly with the wind on the return trip, will take note of that thanks!

Yeah not really planning to use sports mode a whole lot, just planning to test it out and use it in emergencies like strong winds, and like you said, if I'm in a rush for some reason to visit a spot. Otherwise I feel comfortable with P mode as is.
2021-3-8
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

K6CCC Posted at 3-5 17:04
Of course not 14 days in advance, if that's what you mean. And what alternatives are there ... a 100 meter long stick with an anemometer on top ? Laborious ;-)

No, not what I mean.  As I said, it is based on computer modeling based on observations that may be many miles away and hours before.  That's going to make it not much more than an educated guess.

So yeah I guess just take the data with a grain of salt and just be alert when flying I guess then.
2021-3-8
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

ranrick Posted at 3-8 02:28
Thanks for the tip, I'm just a bit cautious activating sports mode when I'm not that high up yet, especially I guess during take off and landing since even though I have a bit of space to operate it, just scared of crashing it still onto surrounding stuff especially with the sensitivity of sports mode. But yeah, I'll try to put it into sports mode when I'm at a higher altitude and clear of any obstructions when there's wind.

Nothing to be scared of in sport mode. I sometimes have it on sport mode even indoors, usually if I haven't been able to go outside for a while. As fast as it might be going in any direction, it's equally as fast in braking when u let go of the sticks. I'd even recommend to try it like this so you'll get more comfortable faster in tight spaces. I have experienced this myself since this is my first Dji. I had a little toy drone I was trying out at first for a month until I bought my Mini
2021-3-8
Use props
jonny007
lvl.4
Germany

ranrick Posted at 3-8 02:33
Oh that's a good tip to fly with the wind on the return trip, will take note of that thanks!

Yeah not really planning to use sports mode a whole lot, just planning to test it out and use it in emergencies like strong winds, and like you said, if I'm in a rush for some reason to visit a spot. Otherwise I feel comfortable with P mode as is.

I recommend longer joysticks for the RC, which will considerably increase the sensitivity. The ones from the original remote control are very short. Which such longer sticks you also can fly veeeeery slooooowly

E.g https://de.aliexpress.com/i/33020593315.html
2021-3-8
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

jonny007 Posted at 3-8 04:14
I recommend longer joysticks for the RC, which will considerably increase the sensitivity. The ones from the original remote control are very short. Which such longer sticks you also can fly veeeeery slooooowly

E.g https://de.aliexpress.com/i/33020593315.html

Alright thanks for the recommendation!
2021-3-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

ranrick Posted at 3-8 02:33
Oh that's a good tip to fly with the wind on the return trip, will take note of that thanks!

Keep on flying and getting used to the controls and how the drone reacts and you'll gain confidence rather quickly.  Have a great day.
2021-3-8
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

doglaboi Posted at 3-8 03:14
Nothing to be scared of in sport mode. I sometimes have it on sport mode even indoors, usually if I haven't been able to go outside for a while. As fast as it might be going in any direction, it's equally as fast in braking when u let go of the sticks. I'd even recommend to try it like this so you'll get more comfortable faster in tight spaces. I have experienced this myself since this is my first Dji. I had a little toy drone I was trying out at first for a month until I bought my Mini

Alright, thank you for sharing your experience, I'll see what I can do with it!
2021-3-8
Use props
ranrick
lvl.4
  • >>>
Philippines

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-8 05:00
Keep on flying and getting used to the controls and how the drone reacts and you'll gain confidence rather quickly.  Have a great day.

Will do, just takes time I guess but no probs, thanks again
2021-3-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

ranrick Posted at 3-8 05:04
Will do, just takes time I guess but no probs, thanks again

My pleasure.  
2021-3-9
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

ranrick Posted at 3-8 02:28
Thanks for the tip, I'm just a bit cautious activating sports mode when I'm not that high up yet, especially I guess during take off and landing since even though I have a bit of space to operate it, just scared of crashing it still onto surrounding stuff especially with the sensitivity of sports mode. But yeah, I'll try to put it into sports mode when I'm at a higher altitude and clear of any obstructions when there's wind.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things   
2021-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules