About to send this in for a refund!!!
1158 12 2021-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NathanRW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41362 ft
United States

I watched a bunch of youtube videos about this camera before I bought it. I thought it was going to be amazing and be much easier to carry on hikes compared to my large dslr. I was so excited to get it in the mail...but WAIT!!!
What's this?

I have to have a very specific phone to ACTIVATE the camera? What the heck!?!?!?! I've bought a lot of camera gear over the years and have never had to activate one with a phone, let alone a very limited set of phones. I always did it on my computer over the internet. DJI says it's because then they'll know when to start your warranty. I call BULL. If they want to know when to start the warranty just have us activate it over the internet and input a specific code or something.

It took me two weeks to find a friend that both had the right type of phone and the time to let me activate the camera. I figured once activated I'd be golden and be able to just connect wirelessly to my phone. Um....Nope. That doesn't work either. GRRRR. All I get is an error saying the app doesn't work on my phone either.

Yes, I don't have the newest most expensive phone in the world Samsung Galaxy J7 Crown...but it works for EVERY OTHER APP I'VE EVER TRIED!!!! I do NOT plan on buying a new phone just for this. I'm hoping that DJI, or someone here, can help me out; as I'd really like to be able to use this camera.

Otherwise, this is nothing but an expensive paperweight and I'm not going to keep it.

Screenshot_20210305-213344.jpg
2021-3-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Much discussed in other threads ever since the first model came out.  DJI don't seem to have a plan to change the system, I'm afraid.
2021-3-5
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Luckily both my phones are USB C-type so didn't had any problem but was not aware that user cant activate it on other phones, that's really a big downside of this otherwise excellent new tool.
2021-3-5
Use props
NathanRW
lvl.1
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-5 19:05
Much discussed in other threads ever since the first model came out.  DJI don't seem to have a plan to change the system, I'm afraid.

I've kind of come to that conclusion from reading around. I was willing to spend a lot of money on this device and accessories, but now I'm so discouraged.
2021-3-5
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

NathanRW Posted at 3-5 19:07
I've kind of come to that conclusion from reading around. I was willing to spend a lot of money on this device and accessories, but now I'm so discouraged.

Same here thinking not to have extensive add on just the basic, the battery backup is too short & battery is not replaceable either, so in a way its just going to be a paper weight in 2-3 years unless DJI comes up with some plan to replace the batteries.  
2021-3-5
Use props
chririva
lvl.3

Poland

If you send it back you can buy a better phone with better camera and functionalities than this pocket 2
2021-3-5
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Batteries are replaceable by DJI (when last I checked their repair price list).  It depends on what you do, but I've seen plenty of people who worry about battery running time, but few if any people who report that it's actually been a problem in real use, especially in conjunction with an external battery.

A phone can have a fine camera indeed - but the whole point of gimbal cameras is the gimbal, which a phone doesn't have.  Even a phone on a gimbal isn't the same (because the phone screen and camera unit can't be angled separately nor separated altogether).
And a phone doesn't have the surround mics of the Pocket 2, which is one of its greatest features (imho).
2021-3-6
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I pretty much agree with most of the points expressed here. For me, I would have preferred a user-changeable battery (for longer lifecycle and ecological reasons), but that's not the dealbreaker for me. What I am certainly disappointed about is DJI's inability to express the activation and phone compatibility issues mentioned here and in other threads.

It really is a shame, as having an ability to remotely control the camera would be hugely beneficial for many use scenarios. It truly is disappointing to buy a much-hyped, expensive product, only to find out you need to buy another expensive device just to be able to use it. Why on earth is there such a restrictive and complicated activation process, when there would well be many better, less-intrusive ways to check the warranty? And why no chance to activate/remote control using a PC? Why such limited list of phone models that are officially compatible? And even then, if you happened to have a right phone, there have been reports of users not being able to connect the camera to the phone, even if they have done everything the right way.

I have started to gather a list that supplements the official list and also adds a list of phones that don't work, so people can have better chances figuring out if they are one of the lucky ones or not. To see my list or report test results of your phone, see https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=235190.

Had I known the Pocket 2 requires a specific phone AND a specific version of DJI Mimo app (yes - even that is requred: just having some version of Mimo app might not cut it!) just to be able to use the camera, I would have never bought it.

So DJI should be prepared for many dissatisfied customers and loss of profits due to neglecting to clearly state the requirements for the buyers. If anybody at DJI is reading this: cut the activation bull, test and upgrade the compatibility with more phone models, and if we need specific devices and procedures to be able to use the device, STATE THEM CLEARLY WITH THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION PAGE, not just by hiding the requirements on the app's page.

This device has potential to be something great, but as of now, I feel cheated.
2021-3-6
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Pocket 1 required the same activation as Pocket 2 and we coped ok.  I also, didn't have a problem activating with my Pocket 2.  I used a cheap Blackview A20 phone for activation.
However, I do not use the Mimo App as I prefer to just use the Pocket on it's own.  Given the option, I would prefer activation and updates vis my PC.
2021-3-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, NathanRW. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. We're sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused and for the unpleasant experience. We suggest that you try downloading the latest version of the DJI Mimo here: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo and test whether it can be installed on your mobile device. If the same problem persists, it could be that your mobile device is either hardware or software incompatible with the DJI Mimo that's why it can't be installed. For software incompatibility, you can try to upgrade your Android version then check if that works.
2021-3-6
Use props
NathanRW
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-6 22:57
Hi, NathanRW. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. We're sorry for the inconvenience that it has caused and for the unpleasant experience. We suggest that you try downloading the latest version of the DJI Mimo here: https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-mimo and test whether it can be installed on your mobile device. If the same problem persists, it could be that your mobile device is either hardware or software incompatible with the DJI Mimo that's why it can't be installed. For software incompatibility, you can try to upgrade your Android version then check if that works.

I have tried both of those versions of the app for Android; and my phone is updated to Android version 9. Both versions of the app download and install just fine and work...all the way up until I try to connect a phone. Once it tries to connect is when it gives me the error.
2021-3-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

John Walker Posted at 3-6 10:19
Pocket 1 required the same activation as Pocket 2 and we coped ok.  I also, didn't have a problem activating with my Pocket 2.  I used a cheap Blackview A20 phone for activation.
However, I do not use the Mimo App as I prefer to just use the Pocket on it's own.  Given the option, I would prefer activation and updates vis my PC.

Not all of us had the original one forehand (therefore not possibly knowing about this issue), also I can't remember hearing anyone say the activation requirement is a good thing (besides DJI themselves) or giving any rational explanation for it besides the warranty tracking point. I also remember some people mentioning this problem on these forums, with the very first model.

And even though you had no problems, it doesn't mean anybody else has no problems with it.

But, at least thank you for mentioning the phone model that enabled you to activate the Pocket 2. Helps a bit more for the people still wondering what phone should they get for this camera (or wondering if theirs already works with it).
2021-3-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

NathanRW Posted at 3-7 03:51
I have tried both of those versions of the app for Android; and my phone is updated to Android version 9. Both versions of the app download and install just fine and work...all the way up until I try to connect a phone. Once it tries to connect is when it gives me the error.

Thanks for your prompt response and confirmation. The DJI Pocket 2 can be used stand-alone without using connecting a mobile device but if it is required on your case to pair it with a mobile device and it isn't an option to use a different one, it is best and suggested returning the DJI Pocket 2 to your dealer and check whether a refund can be granted. Our apologies for the unpleasant experience.
2021-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules