DJI FPV start stop button
19820 28 2021-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MagnusFPV
lvl.2
Czechia

Hey i have a question can i accidentally turn motor off in air with start stop or its not possible if i wanna catch drone in air to hand how to stop motors ?
2021-3-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, MagnusFPV. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. When using Normal or Sport mode, the motors can only be stopped by performing a CSC mid-flight in an emergency situation such as if the aircraft has a stalled motor, is involved in a collision, is rolling in the air, is out of control, or is ascending or descending quickly. The default setting can be changed in goggles.

When using the Manual mode, press the start/stop button twice to stop the motors at any time.

Please be advised that stopping the motors mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash.
2021-3-6
Use props
djiuser_drlGRxVWcvBl
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-6 23:41
Hi, MagnusFPV. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. When using Normal or Sport mode, the motors can only be stopped by performing a CSC mid-flight in an emergency situation such as if the aircraft has a stalled motor, is involved in a collision, is rolling in the air, is out of control, or is ascending or descending quickly. The default setting can be changed in goggles.

When using the Manual mode, press the start/stop button twice to stop the motors at any time.

Can confirm, will crash.
2021-3-15
Use props
inkognitive
lvl.1
Ukraine

Something tells me you are confirming that from experience
2021-4-2
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_drlGRxVWcvBl Posted at 3-15 10:10
Can confirm, will crash.

2021-4-2
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depends which mode you are in! In full manual, the Start/stop button will shut the drone down In flight. In Normal or Sport, you have to hold the throttle stick fully down to land/shutdown. Unless you do an CSC (Sticks to the inner corners) which will also cause it to power off the motors.

To hand catch, put the drone into normal mode and then hold out you hand and lower the drone onto your hand, holding the throttle in the fully down position will stop the rotors after a few seconds once it is no longer moving downwards..

The drone may raise if you put your hand under it while its landing, but keep your hand there and it will decend onto your hand as long as the throttle is held fully down.
2021-4-2
Use props
ApoIIo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36860 ft
Australia

Wait wait wait.
Are you telling me if I stop the motors in the air it won’t keep flying?
2021-4-2
Use props
Elliot Alderson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206575 ft
Spain

But you can stop the motors in the air, the drone will fall and then rearm motors and fly again right?
2021-4-3
Use props
Rienerschnitzel
New

Switzerland

Is there a way to enable the emergency stop button in the manual mode (That the drone breaks and hovers in the air, or even switchs to normale mode)? When I am flying in manual, nothing happens when pressing the Start/Stop button (Or am I missing a setting in the goggles?
2021-4-21
Use props
FlyingSnoopy
lvl.4

Greece

Rienerschnitzel Posted at 4-21 04:36
Is there a way to enable the emergency stop button in the manual mode (That the drone breaks and hovers in the air, or even switchs to normale mode)? When I am flying in manual, nothing happens when pressing the Start/Stop button (Or am I missing a setting in the goggles?

The emergency button is on the LEFT of the controller, above the gimbal wheel.
The start/stop button (on the RIGHT) has various functions but DO NOT use it in manual mode.
If you double press start / stop in manual the engines will GO OFF and the drone will CRASH!

The emergency brake is on the LEFT of the controller. Press it once and the drone will hover!
2021-4-21
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, MagnusFPV. Thanks for reaching out and posting your concern. When using Normal or Sport mode, the motors can only be stopped by performing a CSC mid-flight in an emergency situation such as if the aircraft has a stalled motor, is involved in a collision, is rolling in the air, is out of control, or is ascending or descending quickly. The default setting can be changed in goggles.

Hi Gamora. I'm in manual mode as you can see, but I always take off in Normal and then swtch to manual and send it. The double tap on the stop/start doesn't seem to work for me. Everything is updated and correct. Am I doing something wrong (which I doubt) ? Cheers in advance
2021-4-21
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ApoIIo Posted at 4-2 17:18
Wait wait wait.

Nope. It will carry on with the momentum of the flight but otherwise just drop out of the air like a brick. Unless you can start them again before sending it off for a repair/refresh.
2021-4-21
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Elliot Alderson Posted at 4-3 12:57
But you can stop the motors in the air, the drone will fall and then rearm motors and fly again right?

In theory yes but it not advisable to do so. If the average beginner pilot actually manages to stop the motors mid-flight, I would wager that the sheer amount of panic would override the simple task of re-arming them again and carrying on. The key is altitude. Not enough altitude and the drone will crash and burn. This is due to the amount of time it takes to stop and re-arm the motors. With lot's of altitude, you just may have a chance of saving it, that's inbetween wetting your pants and being in a blind panic. In manual mode, you drop the throttle to zero to pull of acrobatic moves but the motors don't stop, they still rotate quite quickly. They slow down enough as to not produce and lift or drag, when inverted so you can do the acrobatic stunts. Even on Frestyle kwads, the motors never stop until we land and disarm.
2021-4-21
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Elliot Alderson Posted at 4-3 12:57

"and then rearm motors and fly again right?"

In theory, yes. Apparently some people have trouble getting this to work correctly.

At 31:07 Joshua and Blunty talk about this topic.

As mentioned in the video, an emergency stop with the left button will take the quad out of manual. The double tap of lower right button only stops the motor while in manual mode.
2021-4-21
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

Duane Degn Posted at 4-21 07:49
"and then rearm motors and fly again right?"

In theory, yes. Apparently some people have trouble getting this to work correctly.

yeah. but double tap does not always work. it is just a very bad design.

there needs to be a switch, that I can toggle and the drone stops. no double or trippe oder quadrupple press something fast enough, but not too fast.
I would love to configure the right toggle switch to disarm on my behalf. I do not need this switch ever!

in case of emergency this needs to be precise, fast and clear as the blue sky.
2021-4-21
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

MoppelMat Posted at 4-21 08:41
yeah. but double tap does not always work. it is just a very bad design.

there needs to be a switch, that I can toggle and the drone stops. no double or trippe oder quadrupple press something fast enough, but not too fast.

"I would love to configure the right toggle switch to disarm"

I think this the best option I can think of.

This sure seems like it should be possible with a firmware update.
2021-4-21
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mine doesn't work with double tap to start or stop the motors.....Any advice Gamora ?
2021-4-24
Use props
Pajomota
lvl.4
Flight distance : 710197 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Rienerschnitzel Posted at 4-21 04:36

You have to press it twice.
2021-4-24
Use props
Vertigocal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 554928 ft
Germany

I haven‘t flown in manual yet but whats the point of shutting down the motors in midflight? Sure it could be useful when stuck in a tree or something but a CSC whould do the same or am I wrong?
It would be useful if we could bind the button to something else.
2021-4-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

CoreyB10 Posted at 4-24 02:40
Mine doesn't work with double tap to start or stop the motors.....Any advice Gamora ?

Make sure the throttle stick is in the lowest position and press the start/stop button twice to start the motors.
2021-4-25
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-25 03:49
Make sure the throttle stick is in the lowest position and press the start/stop button twice to start the motors.

Yeah I know G. Tried that and still don't work. Not really a hassle but there's times when you need to arm and go. I read the manual before it even got delivered so I was familiar with all the buttons and procedures etc. I always do this with every DJI craft. Just annoying it doesn't work.
2021-4-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

CoreyB10 Posted at 4-25 08:39
Yeah I know G. Tried that and still don't work. Not really a hassle but there's times when you need to arm and go. I read the manual before it even got delivered so I was familiar with all the buttons and procedures etc. I always do this with every DJI craft. Just annoying it doesn't work.

If you haven't tried, a firmware refresh for both the aircraft and remote via the DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV series) might help. Once done, test the function again to check if that resolves it.
2021-4-25
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 4-24 02:40

"Mine doesn't work with double tap to start or stop the motors"

I've been amazed how sensitive the timing requirement is on the video start button.

I had many flights when I thought the video recording wouldn't work. I eventually learned the presses of the video start button had to be VERY short.

I'm too chicken to try myself, but maybe something similar happens with the start stop double tap. I think it's crazy to require such precise timing for user input but if it's the only way to make it work right now, it might be worth trying.
2021-4-26
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 4-25 23:10
If you haven't tried, a firmware refresh for both the aircraft and remote via the DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV series) might help. Once done, test the function again to check if that resolves it.

Thanks G. Might try it at the weekend. No great hassle though. Not as if it's a deal breaker as the drone itself is a beast and flies really well. Just got the TrueRC Duality 2.4-5.8ghz antennas for the goggles. Just been out with her for a test flight.
2021-4-26
Use props
djiuser_rXGKeQcAVGqQ
lvl.1

United States

Motors not starting on my DJI FPV can someone please help
2022-1-1
Use props
jimocallaghan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 285 ft
Ireland

An old thread but newbie here just wondering if there has been any more movement on getting an instant assignable kill switch - I've been getting used to my DJI FPV over the last few weeks in N and S modes and have definitely struggled with scenarios where the CSC briefly increases power to the motors (in my case pulling the drone further into a bush, getting the props more entangled and breaking some of the tips) rather than an instant cut-out.  I've tried this in a more controlled environment where I've held the drone and tried the CSC manually and it definitely increases the power briefly before shutting down after around 0.5 seconds.  Really just looking for an instant shut-down ...

Maybe something's available since this thread began but I couldn't find it in the Goggles with the latest firmware.  Any steers gratefully appreciated.
2022-1-18
Use props
Porktree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

ApoIIo Posted at 2021-4-2 17:18
Wait wait wait.

Autorotation will kick in - lol.
2022-1-18
Use props
Hemi392
lvl.1
Germany

In the simulator, double pressing start/stop only  will stop the motors, when they were started this way in manual mode to take off. If you take off in N or S mode and switch to M mode, the start/stop thing will not kill the motors. Was anyone keen enough to test this in reality?
2022-8-24
Use props
djiuser_DhGARx4QgtD0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205912 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_drlGRxVWcvBl Posted at 2021-3-15 10:10
Can confirm, will crash.

Made my day
2023-7-9
Use props
Advanced