Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
M300 Braking
5507 23 2021-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikes1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1740699 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have looked for a setting to adjust the harsh braking on the M300. I have multiple DJI drones ranging from the Inspire 1 Pro, Mavic Pro and Pro 2, and the M600. All of them have the ability to soften the braking action by using exponential adjustments during normal flight. I am not talking about collision-avoidance braking. There is no reason for this drone to be breaking this hard. Anyone?
2021-3-7
Use props
djiuser_eBMovNv5Rb4Y
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113297 ft

Canada

we have had the same experience in our flights.
2021-3-7
Use props
Wachul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562 ft
Poland

M300 Braking is nuts. I am scared when it does missions and goes from 10m/s to 0 in an instant. I am concerned that it may affect aircrafts integrity and lifespan.
2021-3-8
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It is hard on equipment, wastes battery, puts unneeded pressure on prop hubs, distracting, and unprofessional. If you didn't have an M600, you wouldn't know about this, but DJI upgraded the props that came on the original M600 after several crashed due to broken props at the hub. The issue was caused by the gyroscopic effect the props are subjected to when braking hard or changing direction rapidly. I'll bet that a lot of M600 owners don't even know about this issue. There is no doubt the M300 is ahead of everything else on the market. It is very impressive but to leave out the option in the flight control software to adjust the braking really puzzles me. I believe that DJI doesn't think of Enterprise drones as being something an operator would want to fly or connect with. They look at it as a tool. They have tried to make the enterprise equipment easier to operate by dumbing down the controls so the less trained operators won't screw it up. Come on DJI, I know you have people reading these forums. Please include this option in the next updates. Maybe if enough people will take the time to voice their options DJI will listen. We can only hope.
2021-3-8
Use props
Wachul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562 ft
Poland

mikes1 Posted at 3-8 06:13
It is hard on equipment, wastes battery, puts unneeded pressure on prop hubs, distracting, and unprofessional. If you didn't have an M600, you wouldn't know about this, but DJI upgraded the props that came on the original M600 after several crashed due to broken props at the hub. The issue was caused by the gyroscopic effect the props are subjected to when braking hard or changing direction rapidly. I'll bet that a lot of M600 owners don't even know about this issue. There is no doubt the M300 is ahead of everything else on the market. It is very impressive but to leave out the option in the flight control software to adjust the braking really puzzles me. I believe that DJI doesn't think of Enterprise drones as being something an operator would want to fly or connect with. They look at it as a tool. They have tried to make the enterprise equipment easier to operate by dumbing down the controls so the less trained operators won't screw it up. Come on DJI, I know you have people reading these forums. Please include this option in the next updates. Maybe if enough people will take the time to voice their options DJI will listen. We can only hope.

Another thing DJI totally dumbed down is the controller. Cendence S was a much better solution, ideal for Enterprise product line. Smart controller has a very small screen, less customization options. It doesn't have the professional feel of the Cendence remote.
One more thing - last firmware update changed the RTH logic. When the aircraft is closer than 50m from takeoff point, it returns home at current altitude. This only happens when obstacle avoidance is turned on. I struggle to see any point in this change. It seems like a great way to crash into a tree or power lines. Obstacle avoidance won't see them.
2021-3-8
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I agree, the Cendence was a much more fitting radio for this system. What really makes me scratch my head is that all the functions in the Pilot app located on the radio will not work using the available "Google Play" Pilot app on a tablet. Two different versions! M300 radio is 2.2.1.7 and the one from Google Play is 1.1.9. WHY? I thought DJI had grouped all the enterprise drones and packaged them into one app. It's nice to be able to use my 10.8" tablet because it "fix's" the small screen issue when using only the radio but I don't understand their thinking. I have a friend that has large hands and it's almost impossible for him to operate the software on the controller. I know some will say just get a stylus but that only helps some and doesn't fix the bigger issue. He also has the same tablet  I use and he can operate the software with no problem and has been for the last year flying an M200 but then there are compatibility issues between the two versions of the software when flying the M300. SO, DJI, you make a mount for the M300 radio controller in order to use an external tablet but we must use a different version of the enterprise app that will not function correctly on the tablet? At least give us the option of downloading the same "Pilot App for M300" so we can get all the functionality when using the tablet. WE CAN'T WIN !!
2021-3-8
Use props
patiam
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI does not know how not to break something that works every time they improve something else.
2021-3-8
Use props
OhneGurtKurt
lvl.1

Germany

patiam Posted at 3-8 10:47
DJI does not know how not to break something that works every time they improve something else.

Totally sucks. I almost regret buying the M300
2021-3-27
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I broke a rubber isolator the other day. I was flying horizontally about 50' high at near max speed. I first pulled back on the right stick to slow down. As the 300 was slowing to less than 5mph I released the right stick and applied full power/up on the left stick almost simultaneously. At that same time, the 300 hard braking kicked in. I can only describe the maneuver as a violent whipping action. I'm surprised it didn't break all 4 isolators. DJI....PLEASE...PLEASE..... fix this issue. Give us the ability to add exponential adjustments to the braking.
2021-8-1
Use props
fans591e5193
lvl.1
Flight distance : 212717 ft
Canada

We unfortunately had an incident due to this aggressive braking. We use a parachute for some of our projects to follow Transport Canada regulations and we had our parachute deploy which ended up smashing the drone into a few pieces on landing. While in an automatic return-to-home procedure, we pressed the pause button which caused the drone to aggressively brake at 43°. Specs for the M300 say that the max tilt angle is 30°. This surpassed certain thresholds for the parachute and it deployed.

From the sounds of it, this seems to be a common issue so hoping it can become a warranty claim with DJI.
2021-8-26
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans591e5193 Posted at 8-26 11:48
We unfortunately had an incident due to this aggressive braking. We use a parachute for some of our projects to follow Transport Canada regulations and we had our parachute deploy which ended up smashing the drone into a few pieces on landing. While in an automatic return-to-home procedure, we pressed the pause button which caused the drone to aggressively brake at 43°. Specs for the M300 say that the max tilt angle is 30°. This surpassed certain thresholds for the parachute and it deployed.

From the sounds of it, this seems to be a common issue so hoping it can become a warranty claim with DJI.

That is unfortunate. I was in the middle of researching available recovery systems when I saw your post. Now I'm not so sure that is a wise thing to do. I wish a rep from DJI would comment on this problem. I know percentage-wise, there aren't very many M300 in circulation but this is a very expensive system. I'm not a programmer but based on my experience I think this issue could easily be fixed with firmware unless there is some internal hardware installed that would make it impossible to add the feature. I have had several people watch me fly the M300 and I had to explain to them that I was not making the drone break like that. When you have people watching the drone fly and they clearly see something strange happening, and they aren't drone pilots, you know there's a problem. Like everything else in the world the squeaky wheel gets the grease and there are not enough people reading the forums or willing to add their thoughts. DJI REPS WHERE ARE YOU?
2021-8-28
Use props
fans591e5193
lvl.1
Flight distance : 212717 ft
Canada

mikes1 Posted at 8-28 11:46
That is unfortunate. I was in the middle of researching available recovery systems when I saw your post. Now I'm not so sure that is a wise thing to do. I wish a rep from DJI would comment on this problem. I know percentage-wise, there aren't very many M300 in circulation but this is a very expensive system. I'm not a programmer but based on my experience I think this issue could easily be fixed with firmware unless there is some internal hardware installed that would make it impossible to add the feature. I have had several people watch me fly the M300 and I had to explain to them that I was not making the drone break like that. When you have people watching the drone fly and they clearly see something strange happening, and they aren't drone pilots, you know there's a problem. Like everything else in the world the squeaky wheel gets the grease and there are not enough people reading the forums or willing to add their thoughts. DJI REPS WHERE ARE YOU?

Yes I totally agree with you that it looks very sketchy and the only thing that makes it better is trusting in the drone. I'm trying to dispute the warranty claim as they are currently saying "the incident was not caused by any product malfunction". Does anyone have any supporting videos of this hard brake issue that I could supply DJI with? I would take one but I currently do not have a drone :/
2021-9-3
Use props
djiuser_nnlNswffLo2p
lvl.1
Australia

Add our voice to the squeaky wheel chorus on this one please. The ability to add a soft stop would be so bloody nice. It really irks me I can't just fly to a nice smooth stop. We have got a kind of heavy payload on the front sometimes and I would love to be able to fly it smoothly and go easy on all the gear a but more easily that the effort it takes now. I just fly back and land in Atti mode as it stands to prevent the hard stops...just do things like the old days!!
2021-9-15
Use props
JBHambone
New

Same here, I fly a 300 at my full time job and have one personally. It's ashamed there are no adjustments for braking. It's ridiculously violent, excessively noisy and unprofessional at minimum!
2021-9-17
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Can you believe it, I just broke another isolator! The violent braking of the M300 has got to be fixed DJI!!! No more ignoring the problem. Unbelievable.........
2021-11-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi, all. Sorry for your inconvenience. We have confirmed with the designated teams. About the braking speed adjustment, there is still no plan on it. We will keep evaluating this function and forwarding your advice. Thanks for your support and understanding.
Furthermore, the damper balls have passed the reliability test, the damage does not associate with the breaking speed. Rest assured.
Please observe the aging of damper balls and replace damper balls regularly due to their susceptibility.
2021-12-1
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 12-1 23:58
Hi, all. Sorry for your inconvenience. We have confirmed with the designated teams. About the braking speed adjust meant, there is still no plan on it. We will keep evaluating this function and forwarding your advice. Thanks for your support and understanding.
Furthermore, the damper balls have passed the reliability test, the damage did not associate with the breaking speed. Rest assured.
Please observe the aging of damper balls and replace damper balls regularly due to their susceptibility.

Thanks for the information. When the first damper ball broke, I think it had about 30 hours total flight time. The second broke about 10 hours later. I don't believe age had anything to do with them breaking. I can't imagine these damper balls having such a short life span. Both of these breaks were a direct result of hard braking. I understand that you are passing information from the design teams and I really do appreciate your help but I have to strongly disagree with their assumption that the balls were not damaged because of braking speed. The last one broke while flying at about 5' altitude at or below 5 mph. I was flying about 50 feet in front of me while barely pushing the right stick forward. While slowly relaxing the right stick the drone performed a hard brake, as it always does, but there was a simultaneous violent jerk to the right after the CSM radar module sensed an obstacle on the left side. The common scenario with both occurrences was a simultaneous move in another different direction during the hard braking. I and many other pilots will be very disappointed to hear this issue will not be corrected especially when DJI has been working on firmware upgrades to assist pilots in making smooth coordinated turns. I don't understand the reasons why this will not be fixed. Have a great day and thank you again for all your help.
2021-12-2
Use props
djiuser_A2kf0yQCdyRW
New

United States

In what world does any manufacturer of an Unmanned Aerial System think that its ok for a UAS of any proffesional calibur to slam on brakes so abruptly that it breaks gimbal isolators? And as far as the reason of (Please observe the aging of damper balls and replace damper balls regularly due to their susceptibility.) Susceptibility to what?  The cause is G forces applied at such a great amount that the isolator can't survive. I've had DJI drones since first available in 2009 to the general public, flown well over 1000 hours on numerous drones and (NEVER) have I broken an isolator to date! I find it hard to believe that DJI with all it's resources and abilities can't find a suitable remedy for customers like myself that have invested a great deal of money in this aircraft and cameras.
2021-12-3
Use props
Craig_Tas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2998255 ft
Australia

fans591e5193 Posted at 8-26 11:48
We unfortunately had an incident due to this aggressive braking. We use a parachute for some of our projects to follow Transport Canada regulations and we had our parachute deploy which ended up smashing the drone into a few pieces on landing. While in an automatic return-to-home procedure, we pressed the pause button which caused the drone to aggressively brake at 43°. Specs for the M300 say that the max tilt angle is 30°. This surpassed certain thresholds for the parachute and it deployed.

mind me asking what parachute system you run?
2021-12-14
Use props
Machete23
lvl.2

United States

Personally,
I am getting sick and tired of this unnecessary braking and the absolutely atrocious coordinated turns due to the crap braking system. We as a company are already beginning to look elsewhere due to this and other reasons. Fix your crap DJI.
2023-5-19
Use props
mikes1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Machete23, I think DJI just fixed our problem with the hard braking.........it's called the M350. After so many people have complained about this problem it has been my belief that DJI can not fix the hard braking issue because of the built-in hardware on the M300. There is no reason for them not to fix this issue thru software. I broke my 4th isolation ball late last summer but didn't report it. It would be a waste of time.
2023-5-19
Use props
Machete23
lvl.2

United States

mikes1 Posted at 5-19 11:50
Machete23, I think DJI just fixed our problem with the hard braking.........it's called the M350. After so many people have complained about this problem it has been my belief that DJI can not fix the hard braking issue because of the built-in hardware on the M300. There is no reason for them not to fix this issue thru software. I broke my 4th isolation ball late last summer but didn't report it. It would be a waste of time.

It’s truly a shame that DJI put out a product that other than the extreme braking is an otherwise stable platform. I know we won’t be buying more DJI products in the future. Not with American or our Allie’s systems rapidly catching up in this field. Add in the DOD and various states banning Chinese drones for work on federal/state projects and the path forward is clear. Happy flying and here’s to no more isolators breaking.
2023-5-19
Use props
markurskiaol.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8025157 ft
  • >>>
United States

Machete23 Posted at 5-19 12:27
It’s truly a shame that DJI put out a product that other than the extreme braking is an otherwise stable platform. I know we won’t be buying more DJI products in the future. Not with American or our Allie’s systems rapidly catching up in this field. Add in the DOD and various states banning Chinese drones for work on federal/state projects and the path forward is clear. Happy flying and here’s to no more isolators breaking.

Machete23,
I agree with you wholeheartedly!  My M300 is the LAST DJI product I will ever buy (and I've had DJI products since 2012 with the Phantom II).  I teach Inspection and Mapping classes for DARTDrones and tell all of my students that they really should try and steer clear of DJI products just because of all the issues I have had over the years and just about every other poster in just about every other thread on this board.  Our issues always seem to fall on deaf ears over there in China! Autel, Skydio, Exo are the manufacturers that I'm sending my students.
Here's the next Enterprise drone I'm planning on purchasing, the Prism Sky from Watts Innovations:

https://wattsinnovations.com/pages/prismsky
2023-7-24
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

markurskiaol.com Posted at 7-24 07:06
Machete23,
I agree with you wholeheartedly!  My M300 is the LAST DJI product I will ever buy (and I've had DJI products since 2012 with the Phantom II).  I teach Inspection and Mapping classes for DARTDrones and tell all of my students that they really should try and steer clear of DJI products just because of all the issues I have had over the years and just about every other poster in just about every other thread on this board.  Our issues always seem to fall on deaf ears over there in China! Autel, Skydio, Exo are the manufacturers that I'm sending my students.
Here's the next Enterprise drone I'm planning on purchasing, the Prism Sky from Watts Innovations:

DJI is definitely not perfect. But for professional use, there is one thing that should not be overlooked: after-sales service.

DJI products are generally quite reliable. If a problem directly related to the machine occurs they are not painful at all to make a total support under the guarantee in a reasonable time.

I have some experience with drone providers who offer their platform with PX4. Good luck with any problem...

And seriously, have you seen the price of your PRISM SKY? With open-source flight control. For that price, buy two M300s.
And the size of the RC?
With the old-fashioned gimbal with cables hanging everywhere...
2023-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules