My Mini 2 cannot handle ND filters
5526 23 2021-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mathewe
lvl.1
United States

I have ND filters from both Freewell and also Sunnylife. I bought these filters as they were recommended for the mini 2, however. When I put either make of filter on my Mini 2, the status light flashes red and the gimbel starts to flutter/vibrate, wildly, in the up/down axis. Without any filters, all is well with both the gimble and the status light. The Freewell filter weighs 1.0 grams, and the Sunnylife filter weighs .8 grams. I've watched numerous videos of folks flying their mini 2's with these filters. I cannot! Has anyone else experienced this? I believe that I have a faulty gimble that will not tolorate any additional weight being added to it? This really sucks, a lot!  
2021-3-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Mathewe, we may recommend using or replacing the ND/UV filer on the Mini 2 camera, the performance will not be assured. Please check if the gimbal is working properly when there is no extra filter. Thank you.
2021-3-7
Use props
Mathewe
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 3-7 19:07
Hi Mathewe, we may recommend using or replacing the ND/UV filer on the Mini 2 camera, the performance will not be assured. Please check if the gimbal is working properly when there is no extra filter. Thank you.

The humble works properly with no extra filter.
2021-3-8
Use props
Mathewe
lvl.1
United States

The Gimble works properly with no extra filter.
2021-3-8
Use props
whiteghost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1479705 ft
United Kingdom

Yeh never used a filter until I flew last week the sun was that bright I could only fly away from it :-)

Purchased some cheap sunnylife filters of ebay and work fine?
2021-3-9
Use props
Mathewe
lvl.1
United States

I think my mini 2 has a manufactured defect and DJI is now ignoring me...???...???
2021-3-9
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

I have filters by both and have zero issues
2021-3-9
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2023829 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

No problems with filters here
2021-3-9
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

I use Sunnylife filters, never had an issue
2021-3-9
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

I also bought a new Freewell Pol filter. My gimbal has no problems. But what you describe have some others too ...
As a possible solution, it was reported that someone stuck a small piece of tissue tape on the back of the camera as a "counterweight".
2021-3-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mathewe Posted at 3-8 05:57
The Gimble works properly with no extra filter.

I am sorry for the belated reply, as the gimbal works properly when it is not attaching to the third-party accessory, the gimbal has no issue. I am sorry to tell that we may not be able to assure the performance of the gimbal when a third-party accessory is attached to the gimbal. Hope your kind understanding.
2021-3-10
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 3-10 05:21
I am sorry for the belated reply, as the gimbal works properly when it is not attaching to the third-party accessory, the gimbal has no issue. I am sorry to tell that we may not be able to assure the performance of the gimbal when a third-party accessory is attached to the gimbal. Hope your kind understanding.

According to this rationale, it'll be interesting to see if the gimbal will work properly with genuine DJI ND filters attached
2021-3-10
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

I have the Sunnylife 6 pack ND and Polarizer.  No issues
2021-3-11
Use props
hunterws
Second Officer
Flight distance : 382536 ft
United States

I use Tiffen and have had zero issues.  (it's worth the extra $, glass quality is what makes one better than the other, and Tiffen uses the best)
2021-3-11
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Be sure to run gimbal calibration after installing a filter so the gimbal can re-learn with the new weight, this can reduce gimbal shake.
2021-3-11
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

Same here - jittery footage much of the time when I attach a filter (Freewell). All is well without filter attached. I will try ABI's suggestion to run a gimbal calibration.
2021-3-11
Use props
Mathewe
lvl.1
United States

ABeardedItalian Posted at 3-11 03:26
Be sure to run gimbal calibration after installing a filter so the gimbal can re-learn with the new weight, this can reduce gimbal shake.

I did that, re-calibrating the gimble, but no joy. I also performed a new update, prior to the flight and the problem. This is very curious, albeit. I've not been able to replicate the problem since the day that the problem first occurred. My Mini 2 is now working fine with the filters. I'm not having any issues. I'm feeling better about this, however. Intermittent problems are also a bit nerving for me. While I cannot currently re-produce the problem, I also don't know when, or if this issue will suddenly manifest itself again. When this problem first raised it's ugly head, I was within visual line of sight and able to bring my mini 2 home via such. The camera was shaking so bad, I'd have NEVER been able to fly it back home via the screen on the app. I should have given my RTH a test, at this time, but I didn't. I was afraid to do so. I flew it home and landed it manually.      
2021-3-11
Use props
Asyd_Rayn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2766 ft
United States

I have the Freewell Bright Day and All Day Kits and have no problems attaching to the gimbal and moving about when airborne.
2021-3-12
Use props
Asyd_Rayn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2766 ft
United States

I have the Freewell Bright Day and All Day Kits and have no problems attaching to the gimbal and moving about when airborne.
2021-3-12
Use props
Frits48
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

Frits48 Posted at 3-11 04:35
Same here - jittery footage much of the time when I attach a filter (Freewell). All is well without filter attached. I will try ABI's suggestion to run a gimbal calibration.

Well waddayaknow....tried again after performing a gimbal calibration (with Freewell ND filter attached). Perfect video footage, no vibration at all. I will do a few more tests as I want to be 100% sure that it is OK now to use filters - looks promising!
2021-3-13
Use props
Mathewe
lvl.1
United States

I've since flown with a filter, one time, but the sky has been cloudy ever since that day. Low light, no need for filters. I had no camera issues during that last bright flight. Can't wait for the bright sun to shine, again, so I can once again mess with the filters and further check things out!...
2021-3-13
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

I tried my Skyreat filters on the Mini 2 today with no issues. They work perfectly on the Mini also.
2021-3-13
Use props
marcel_911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18901 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem with my Freewell filters.

When I first tried one in my living room and switched the M2 on, the camera vibrated very fast for a few seconds then stopped.

A few days later when I was able to go flying, the video seemed fine for the first ten minutes then it started to vibrate.

I had slight vignetting at the bottom of the image so I may not have had the filter seated perfectly.

Not tried the filters since as it is too overcast to need them but not had any problems without the filters.
2021-3-14
Use props
SiRan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 349196 ft
United Kingdom

I received a new set of Standard Day yesterday. Added one today but RC just tells me the gimbal is stuck. Calibration sticks on 10 percent then freezes.
2022-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules