7420 18 2021-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeriallive
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4054803 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

To get the best of two worlds ... GoPro 8 on a DJI FPV drone.

2021-3-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Aeriallive. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify your DJI drone or any of its components. Using modified accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI FPV and can void the warranty as well. Thank you and fly safe always.
2021-3-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems a very odd thing to do
2021-3-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you think the gropro is a better camera than the onboard one?
2021-3-9
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 3-9 00:47
Do you think the gropro is a better camera than the onboard one?

For sure the onboard camera can never be upgraded and the GoPro can be replaced for a better one after each release.

The problem with the DJI onboard camera is that I believe that the RockSteady stabilization isn't as smooth looking as the GoPro combined with the ReelSteady software. I'm also missing the 4:3 to 16:9 stretching option which give the beloved FPV look.
Maybe it's just my taste?
2021-3-9
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 3-8 22:48
Seems a very odd thing to do

Not of you just like the GoPro image better and when you good at building drones ;)
2021-3-9
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-8 22:01
Hello there Aeriallive. Good day and thank you for sharing these interesting information with us. Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to modify your DJI drone or any of its components. Using modified accessories might cause damage or harm on your DJI FPV and can void the warranty as well. Thank you and fly safe always.

Hi Stephen,  of course you are right but I just like to be able to choose my own taste of camera's and the image that it produces. With this all limitation are gone.
2021-3-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aeriallive Posted at 3-9 00:54
For sure the onboard camera can never be upgraded and the GoPro can be replaced for a better one after each release.

The problem with the DJI onboard camera is that I believe that the RockSteady stabilization isn't as smooth looking as the GoPro combined with the ReelSteady software. I'm also missing the 4:3 to 16:9 stretching option which give the beloved FPV look.

Perhaps you can do a comparison when its all setup and working.
2021-3-9
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

It’s going to be the second option where the camera is on top of the drone. This will give two images to choose from without the lose of the warning sensors
Next week I will post a side by side comparison.
2021-3-9
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can't wait to see your test results. Excited to see the comparisons
2021-3-9
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

Today we went out to make a side by side comparison of the DJI FPV and the GoPro 8 with Reelsteady.

The main focus was to compare the stabilization and the smoothness of the two cameras.
Which one do you like most?

2021-3-18
Use props
PetrifiedBanana
lvl.2
Flight distance : 65105 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aeriallive Posted at 3-18 13:55
Today we went out to make a side by side comparison of the DJI FPV and the GoPro 8 with Reelsteady.

The main focus was to compare the stabilization and the smoothness of the two cameras.

The GoPro footage appears much faster than the DJI FPV. Is that because of the 25fps frame rate on GoPro vs 50fps on DJI? Or does ReelSteady speed up footage as part of its processing?

Great video!
2021-3-18
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

PetrifiedBanana Posted at 3-18 17:54
The GoPro footage appears much faster than the DJI FPV. Is that because of the 25fps frame rate on GoPro vs 50fps on DJI? Or does ReelSteady speed up footage as part of its processing?

Great video!

Exactly, the footage of the GoPro appears to be much faster. But these images are absolutely perfectly synced to each other. So this appearance has everything to do with the 4:3 to 16:9 image stretching that Gopro Reelsteady is able to process. I just love it so much more!

To DJI: please make an firmware updat to give us the 4:3 stretching to 19:9 option (without seeing the props). Unfortunately DJI needs to adjust the location of the camera because when you want to use the whole 4:3 sensor you will always start seeing the props of the DJI FPV drone. From that point of view you can conclude that this version of the DJI FPV drone will never be able to beat the GoPro Reelsteady image.
2021-3-19
Use props
brianklck
lvl.1

Belgium

Hi,

I also use the DJI FPV Drone in combo with my GoPro Hero9 (not naked).

But the issue I experience is that the GoPro blocks my gps satellite signal.
I only get max 13 sats with a mounted GoPro. Without GoPro I get 20 sats.

No problem for flying but my RTH-function does not work anymore.
So the biggest advantage for choosing the DJI FPV Drone over the traditional is gone by this ..
Ofcourse the advantage of longer battery life (+/- 10min with GoPro) is still there.

Do you also experience this satellite problem ?
2021-5-27
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think that your GoPro is placed to close to the GPS module.
A full GoPro contains also a speaker with a magnet in it, this can also case compass errors. And there is the size of the full GoPro that blocks 3x more of the GPS signal if placed on top of the drone.
But I agree that the GoPro give a much nicer fpv image.
2021-5-28
Use props
Aeriallive
lvl.3
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think that your GoPro is placed to close to the GPS module.
A full GoPro contains also a speaker with a magnet in it, this can also case compass errors. And there is the size of the full GoPro that blocks 3x more of the GPS signal if placed on top of the drone.
But I agree that the GoPro give a much nicer fpv image.
2021-5-28
Use props
dojieldienvehotmail.com
lvl.1

United States

Is there a horizontal naked gopro mount/print available yet?
The vertical one is good enough for most cases I guess.
2021-7-31
Use props
iflycams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372661 ft
United States

Aeriallive Posted at 2021-3-18 13:55

Thank you for posting both comparisons.  I would be interested to know the camera settings used for each?  Were they the same?

Overall, my taste, I like the DJI video better, but I would brighten it just a little.  It appears also to me to be shot at a slower frame rate.

The GoPro definitely handles the roll changes more smoothly IMO and you get more of a sense of speed, which makes me think it was shot at a higher frame rate.

Just guessing.

Willie
2022-9-16
Use props
iflycams
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372661 ft
United States

iflycams Posted at 9-16 05:40
Thank you for posting both comparisons.  I would be interested to know the camera settings used for each?  Were they the same?

Overall, my taste, I like the DJI video better, but I would brighten it just a little.  It appears also to me to be shot at a slower frame rate.

I should have finished the thread before posting.  I see you answered the frame rate question.  There are still other camera settings.  An interesting experiment.

Does ReelSteady only work with GoPro footage?

Willie

2022-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules