4389 9 2021-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
P2-L1-P4-Mav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

While in manual mode with my new DJI FPV drone. I was hovering (50ft) agl . I adjusted the gimbal upward to immolate my other racing drone 30 degree up camera angle. However, the DJI fpv drone kept the camera stable on the horizon so adjusting it up made the drone’s body to unknowingly tilted forward. This quick action sent the drone forward and down, crashing it into the ground hard into the unforgiving ground. It broke the RT/FRT arm, and sheared off the the complete forward and downward sensor group.

This is to all other new FPV fliers: I still love this drone and will repair it when parts become available. But this is something you may experience too.

I am an experienced FPV drone flyer. I fly a 6S 5inch DJI Air unit FPV system. So it can happen to you as well.

Safe flying!
F04C9089-CD50-4ECF-A9A0-82D122579B36.jpeg
2021-3-9
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1838077 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

If I get you right, the gimbal shouldn't be adjusted while flying in manual-mode?

It sound almost as a bug to me. I don't see in which situation you want it to act like that?

2021-3-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI FPV. Since there was a crash that happened. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support . We have a professional team that will do there best check what really happened on that flight and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.
2021-3-9
Use props
P2-L1-P4-Mav
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Mats Bohlinsson Posted at 3-9 11:21
If I get you right, the gimbal shouldn't be adjusted while flying in manual-mode?

It sound almost as a bug to me. I don't see in which situation you want it to act like that?

Sorry for the day lag in my reply, Yes when I moved the gimbal up while in a Manual (non moving) hover (50ft AGL) the camera stayed stable on the horizon and the body tilted forward causing the drone to crash I didn't notice the drone tilted forward to the degree it did or the speed of the fell because the camera was stabilized on the horizon, and the whole thing looked so smooth. until it was to late. I was recording when It happened and I am trying to shorten the 4K video to upload it here to show all of you. Since them I super glued the broken arm back together minus the missing forward and down sensor group, and It flies good. The GPS keep it stabilized in N /S modes very well. Manual mode is not affected. I carefully raised the gimbal up during a post crash manual flight, and it did not pitch the drone forward like it did before. It moved the camera upwards without affecting the drones flight characteristics this time. I will contact DJI (as suggested by DJI rep in a post to this thread) and see what they have to say? I hope they can pull the stick inputs to tell me what happened? I hope it will back my side of the story?

Anyways I will try uploading the video.
2021-3-10
Use props
P2-L1-P4-Mav
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-9 20:21
Hello there. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI FPV. Since there was a crash that happened. It would be best to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support . We have a professional team that will do there best check what really happened on that flight and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again, I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.

Thank you for your reply, I will contact them.
2021-3-10
Use props
Whoreable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1775299 ft
United States

P2-L1-P4-Mav Posted at 3-10 21:45
Sorry for the day lag in my reply, Yes when I moved the gimbal up while in a Manual (non moving) hover (50ft AGL) the camera stayed stable on the horizon and the body tilted forward causing the drone to crash I didn't notice the drone tilted forward to the degree it did or the speed of the fell because the camera was stabilized on the horizon, and the whole thing looked so smooth. until it was to late. I was recording when It happened and I am trying to shorten the 4K video to upload it here to show all of you. Since them I super glued the broken arm back together minus the missing forward and down sensor group, and It flies good. The GPS keep it stabilized in N /S modes very well. Manual mode is not affected. I carefully raised the gimbal up during a post crash manual flight, and it did not pitch the drone forward like it did before. It moved the camera upwards without affecting the drones flight characteristics this time. I will contact DJI (as suggested by DJI rep in a post to this thread) and see what they have to say? I hope they can pull the stick inputs to tell me what happened? I hope it will back my side of the story?

Anyways I will try uploading the video.

or youtube it
2021-3-10
Use props
P2-L1-P4-Mav
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Update: Here are two videos of the crash I described above, one at regular speed and one in slow motion. I had to record it through my iPhone, off of my computer because the original 4K recording was 3.5 gigs and that was way too big. You can notice the props in manual mode lowering out of the view resulting in the crash.  I hope the links work?

Regular speed:

Slow-motion:
2021-3-11
Use props
P2-L1-P4-Mav
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

P2-L1-P4-Mav Posted at 3-10 21:46

Thanks for the information, I contacted DJI and setup a repair request. They will analyze it and render the final verdict. I hope it in me favor? If it was a system glitch and no fault of my own, DJI will repair or replace it free of charge. If it was my fault, it will cost $$$.

I still love this drone and think that it’s a game changer in the FPV arena for entry FPV pilots.  

I naturally fly my 5” DJI Air unit FPV freestyle drone very mildly. Totally within the new DJI FPV drones abilities. But if I were ripping, cornering and doing tricks. The DJI FPV drone flies more a sedan instead of my 5” Ferrari.  This is just my thoughts
2021-3-12
Use props
P2-L1-P4-Mav
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the information, I contacted DJI and setup a repair request. They will analyze it and render the final verdict. I hope it in me favor? If it was a system glitch and no fault of my own, DJI will repair or replace it free of charge. If it was my fault, it will cost $$$.

I still love this drone and think that it’s a game changer in the FPV arena for entry FPV pilots.  

I naturally fly my 5” DJI Air unit FPV freestyle drone very mildly. Totally within the new DJI FPV drones abilities. But if I were ripping, cornering and doing tricks. The DJI FPV drone flies more a sedan instead of my 5” Ferrari.  This is just my thoughts
2021-3-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other issue or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are here to help and support you. Thank you.
2021-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules