Drones on Cruise Ships
1753 19 2021-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

From searching on the internet, I have found that drones are allowed on Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruise ships...to be taken off the ship and flown only on land (away from ship).  Does anyone know of any recent changes to other cruise line's drone policies that allow for drones???

2021-3-10
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126729 ft
Australia

Gee I would be very weary about going on a cruise ship after last years episodes. They are a breeding ground for Covid. Don’t mean to be negative but that would be a bit of a scary holiday.
2021-3-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

DJWacko Posted at 3-10 14:59
Gee I would be very weary about going on a cruise ship after last years episodes. They are a breeding ground for Covid. Don’t mean to be negative but that would be a bit of a scary holiday.

I just got my second COVID shot and in the US there will be enough vaccine for all by the end of May.  I expect there will be a rush for the 2022 sailings so I'm looking at bookings in 2022 and taking advantage of the great fares right now.
2021-3-10
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-10 15:14
I just got my second COVID shot and in the US there will be enough vaccine for all by the end of May.  I expect there will be a rush for the 2022 sailings so I'm looking at bookings in 2022 and taking advantage of the great fares right now.

Hey Rustic, good stuff. Yeah I also got my second vaccine in Jan. Also planning on cruise hopefully by the end of his year.

I've taken my drone on Royal Caribbean, MSC and Norwegian Cruises but apparently not allowed on Princess. I even called Princess but they said I couldn't bring it onboard.

I think she'd said something about a passenger trying to fly it onboard which led to this rule. Who in the right mind would even fly a drone onboard cruise liner. Go figure.  As it always is, one ruins it for others.
2021-3-10
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

"off the ship and flown only on land (away from ship)."

Absolutely. Always drove miles and miles away from the Cruise liner then fly the drone.

When I visited St. Kitts I couldn't find there because the airport was too close.

Bardados has a drone restriction so didn't even bother taking my drone there. Locals told me it was prohibited.
2021-3-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 3-10 15:58
Hey Rustic, good stuff. Yeah I also got my second vaccine in Jan. Also planning on cruise hopefully by the end of his year.

I've taken my drone on Royal Caribbean, MSC and Norwegian Cruises but apparently not allowed on Princess. I even called Princess but they said I couldn't bring it onboard.

Yeah...I'm seeing they will be confiscated on Norwegian...is this new info you have on NCL???
2021-3-10
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-10 16:04
Yeah...I'm seeing they will be confiscated on Norwegian...is this new info you have on NCL???

No, it will not. I've taken my drone onboard.
edit*

new rule that you can't
2021-3-10
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Not allowed on Princess cruises.
2021-3-10
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-10 16:04
Yeah...I'm seeing they will be confiscated on Norwegian...is this new info you have on NCL???

Wow, wait you're right guess this is new.
2021-3-10
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

SD_Pilot Posted at 3-10 16:00
"off the ship and flown only on land (away from ship)."

Barbados has changed that rule. A friend of mine took his MA2 there last year and you can now apply for a drone license. I don't recall the details as relayed to me by my friend, but it didn't sound terribly complicated.
2021-3-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I did the NCL out of and around Hawaii a few years ago...Pride of America.  I ended up mailing my drone to the car rental agency on Maui and then mailing it home when I was done...we were on Maui overnight so I got two days of flying.
2021-3-10
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-10 16:16
I did the NCL out of and around Hawaii a few years ago...Pride of America.  I ended up mailing my drone to the car rental agency on Maui and then mailing it home when I was done...we were on Maui overnight so I got two days of flying.

Nice.  At least you flew in Maui. On my bucket list to fly there.

2021-3-10
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 3-10 15:14

Oh that’s cool then , they’re only just rolling it out here, first responders and elderly are first. And yes there would be some great prices. Was there any side effects to the vaccine?
2021-3-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Rustic17. Good day and thank you for posting these information. I hope that our fellow DJI co pilots who have brought there DJI drones on a cruise ship can give out there experience and there valued insights with regards to this matter. Thank you.
2021-3-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

DJWacko Posted at 3-10 18:48
Oh that’s cool then , they’re only just rolling it out here, first responders and elderly are first. And yes there would be some great prices. Was there any side effects to the vaccine?

I got the Moderna and other that soreness at the injection site I haven't had any other issues.  That said, I only got my second shot today (Mar 10) so I'll update you tomorrow if there's any drastic change.
2021-3-10
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJWacko Posted at 3-10 18:48
Oh that’s cool then , they’re only just rolling it out here, first responders and elderly are first. And yes there would be some great prices. Was there any side effects to the vaccine?

I got the Moderna vaccine.  Had a little soreness at the injection both times but absolutely no other side effects.  Kind of reminded me of the soreness from a Flu shot.  My daughter is a nurse and her hospital has give both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.  She said far more minor side effects are reported on the Pfizer vaccine, especially after the 2nd dose.  However, she got the Pfizer vaccine and experienced the same injection site soreness as me and she had no other symptoms from either 1st or 2nd shot.  

I've heard from several people that got the recently approved Johnson & Johnson one shot vaccine and report same symptoms as what Moderna produces.  

The thing is everyone's body reacts differently so there will always be minimal occurences of an odd side effect.   

2021-3-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

sadly im at the bottom of the vaccine list.  i heard the rest of us can get it by May at the earliest.  
im just ready to get out in the world again already, planning to take all my drones out west for a good workout.
2021-3-11
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-11 08:11
I got the Moderna vaccine.  Had a little soreness at the injection both times but absolutely no other side effects.  Kind of reminded me of the soreness from a Flu shot.  My daughter is a nurse and her hospital has give both the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.  She said far more minor side effects are reported on the Pfizer vaccine, especially after the 2nd dose.  However, she got the Pfizer vaccine and experienced the same injection site soreness as me and she had no other symptoms from either 1st or 2nd shot.  

I've heard from several people that got the recently approved Johnson & Johnson one shot vaccine and report same symptoms as what Moderna produces.  

Glad it all worked out well for you , doesn’t sound as bad as I thought . I was a bit dubious about getting it but hearing that there’s minimal side affects I guess I will give it a go. Thanks mate , and good luck with your drone on the cruise.
2021-3-11
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 3-11 09:00
sadly im at the bottom of the vaccine list.  i heard the rest of us can get it by May at the earliest.  
im just ready to get out in the world again already, planning to take all my drones out west for a good workout.

Yeah you guys have had it very tough over there , i don’t think I will see the vaccine until October.I live in a state called Queensland and it’s a big state so even when they had all the state borders shut we could still do some decent travelling. Caravanning has become huge here as no one can travel overseas, they can’t keep up the demand for them . Let’s hope they don’t throw another virus at us..
2021-3-11
Use props
DJWacko
Second Officer
Australia

Rustic17 Posted at 3-10 20:42
I got the Moderna and other that soreness at the injection site I haven't had any other issues.  That said, I only got my second shot today (Mar 10) so I'll update you tomorrow if there's any drastic change.

Yeah thanks , I’m glad there’s no side effects. It’s good that you guys in the states are getting your vaccine, you have had a tough run with the virus. We have been very lucky over here. I probably won’t be able to get the vaccine until October by the sounds of it , but at the moment there are no cases in my state.
2021-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules