Purchase charging cable for controller, goggle battery?
4930 6 2021-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John-_-D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10 ft
United States

I have the DJI FPV Combo, and the Motion Controller. There are three things I have that charge with the "USB-C Data Cable", attached to the AC Power Adapter. They are the Goggles Battery, the Remote Controller 2, and the (separately purchased) Motion Controller.

I'm heeding the warning not to charge anything with third-party gear, but I'm not finding a way to charge two of these items at the same time. The AC Power Adaptor has two USB-A sockets, so if I had two "USB-C Data Cables" I could charge two of these at once.

Will third-party USB-C to USB-A cables work without damaging either the AC Adaptor or the devices?

Can I plug the official DJI cable into a standard USB charger, or even a powerbank? Can I purchase additional DJI USB-C Data Cables?

Thanks in advance for any information!

2021-3-11
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

sometimes it is handy to read other posts or search the forum before asking the same question all over again. Here is my answer though:

apparently the USB - C on the goggle battery plug neither the goggle have the electronics to do power negotiation while plugging a USB-C connector. This means that even is you have a quick charging power bank it will not spit out more than 5 Volts  on the output for the sake of safety. You could hack or build your ow power bank to do it anyway but the XT60 to barrel adapter seems way easier and safer option to go along ...  
2021-3-11
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
United States

tomekyo Posted at 3-11 04:21
sometimes it is handy to read other posts or search the forum before asking the same question all over again. Here is my answer though:

apparently the USB - C on the goggle battery plug neither the goggle have the electronics to do power negotiation while plugging a USB-C connector. This means that even is you have a quick charging power bank it will not spit out more than 5 Volts  on the output for the sake of safety. You could hack or build your ow power bank to do it anyway but the XT60 to barrel adapter seems way easier and safer option to go along ...

Agreed! I did read posts in this forum (and elsewhere on the internet) about powering the goggles using "standard" USB-C powerbanks, and what you're saying agrees with them and my own experience.

But that's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about charging the Flight Controller 2, Goggle Battery, and Motion Controller. Must I use the DJI AC Adaptor and USB-C Data Cable? Or can third-party parts safely replace either or both?
2021-3-11
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

John-_-D Posted at 3-11 04:34
Agreed! I did read posts in this forum (and elsewhere on the internet) about powering the goggles using "standard" USB-C powerbanks, and what you're saying agrees with them and my own experience.

But that's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking about charging the Flight Controller 2, Goggle Battery, and Motion Controller. Must I use the DJI AC Adaptor and USB-C Data Cable? Or can third-party parts safely replace either or both?

You can charge the remote, motion controller or the goggles battery using any USB charger. As long as you go USB-A to USB-C you don't need to use DJI's power brick.

I use an Apple iPad charger no issues. I have also used a USB-C PD charger and that works OK too.

You can also use a power bank to charge your DJI devices, you, however, cannot power the goggles from a power bank, you have to use either the supplied battery & DJI lead or purchase the XT-60 lead and power the goggles from a standard 4S or 6S LiPo.
2021-3-11
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 3-11 08:43
You can charge the remote, motion controller or the goggles battery using any USB charger. As long as you go USB-A to USB-C you don't need to use DJI's power brick.

I use an Apple iPad charger no issues. I have also used a USB-C PD charger and that works OK too.

"I have also used a USB-C PD charger and that works OK too."
I used the USB-C adapter for my MacBook Pro and that did not work, so I thought I'm out of luck. Will give that a shot, thanks.

"You can also use a power bank to charge your DJI devices, you, however, cannot power the goggles from a power bank, you have to use either the supplied battery & DJI lead or purchase the XT-60 lead and power the goggles from a standard 4S or 6S LiPo."

I've ordered the XT-60 lead. I'm wondering if I can power the goggles from the Intelligent Battery? That looks to me like an XT-60.
EDIT: It is NOT an XT-60. It's physically similar but a different size.

2021-3-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there John-_-D. Good day and thank you for these information you have given. In addition to this you may try check our DJI Where To Buy platform on this link ( https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy ) to see if those cables that you need is available. In addition I hope that you can get some recommendations from our DJI Co pilots with regards to this inquiry. Thank you and please be safe always.
2021-3-11
Use props
TOW69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 341037 ft
United States

I found that the charging cable that works for my GO PRO 8 also works on the Goggles Battery and the Controller(s) as well
2021-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules