DJI MINI 2 LATEST FIRMWARE ISSUE NEEDS TO BE FIXED!!
12Next >
6237 49 2021-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DronePilot567
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1507848 ft

United Kingdom

So having spent the last few days trying to find out why my gimbal has  been uneven and not level looking on the horizon, I finally found out  why, the latest firmware update. This was found on a popular youtubers  channel who was also expirencing the same problem as me as well as many  others, will the gimbal being uneven after countless calibartions yet  still dosent work making filming near impossible to for level shots!

So I contaced DJI about this issue showing them the video but they  wanted me to return my drone for inspection which is pointless as the  video clearly shows its a firmware issue and not a hardware issue! This  really frustrates me as DJI have not yet resolved this issue and they  bascailly they said they cant do anything about it unless I return my  drone for inspection and pay a fee for the inspection which is a joke!  DJI should be able to fix this with a new firmware update, so let me  know your guys view on this and if youve had this issue as well like  many others and I also encourage you to reach out to DJI with this video  if your having the problems so DJI can address it.

Edit: Its a shame so many people in this thread are dismissive about this firmware issue depsite the evidence clearing showing its the most likely reason for the unlevel gimbal.

Either way its something DJI should investiage and address so it can be fixed in a future update.

2021-3-11
Use props
jweaver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47664 ft
United Kingdom

I watched that video and always wonderered if it had anything to do with the wind as throughout the whole video the attitude indicator showed the drone was titing quite hard.

But that said, the guy who makes these videos is a LOT more experienced than me, so if he believes its a problem, i am sure he is right.

2021-3-11
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 3-11 07:29
I watched that video and always wonderered if it had anything to do with the wind as throughout the whole video the attitude indicator showed the drone was titing quite hard.

But that said, the guy who makes these videos is a LOT more experienced than me, so if he believes its a problem, i am sure he is right.

I thought the same as you! He even had strong wind warnings showing on his screen. As far as his complaints about his gimbal looking like being in fpv mode the attitude indicator bars even disappear off screen at times. But, as a youtuber I suppose he knows better than most.
2021-3-11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quite possibly it may not be firmware related.  The reason I say this is myself and 2 other neighbors that all have Mini 2s do not experience your issue.  If it was a firmware issue it would negatively effect every Mini 2.  I think DJI wanted you to return your drone so that they can inspect the hardware in case that is the issue.  However, I don't think DJI should charge you an inspection fee, especially if they determine it is a hardware issue.  

Hope you get the issue resolved soon.  
2021-3-11
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

jweaver Posted at 3-11 07:29

Having commented on his channel, he has said even in lower winds he still has the same issue showing it is very much to do with the firmware. He also has over 10k subs so having got the issue myself as well, it’s very clear it is a firmware issue
2021-3-11
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 3-11 08:19
I thought the same as you! He even had strong wind warnings showing on his screen. As far as his complaints about his gimbal looking like being in fpv mode the attitude indicator bars even disappear off screen at times. But, as a youtuber I suppose he knows better than most.

If you read the description in the video he states he also tried it again on a day with no wind and still had the same issues as I have myself so it’s not due to the wind, but a firmware issue
2021-3-11
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-11 08:22
Quite possibly it may not be firmware related.  The reason I say this is myself and 2 other neighbors that all have Mini 2s do not experience your issue.  If it was a firmware issue it would negatively effect every Mini 2.  I think DJI wanted you to return your drone so that they can inspect the hardware in case that is the issue.  However, I don't think DJI should charge you an inspection fee, especially if they determine it is a hardware issue.  

Hope you get the issue resolved soon.

Trust me, it is firmware related as he himself who is an expert on drones with over 10k subs has noticed it and I’m sure he would be aware if something was wrong with the hardware on his drone.

I also have the exact same issue and I have had only my drone for a month and have not crashed or damaged it in any way, so looking at all this it proves it is a firmware issue.

However it may not effect some people as much especially if you live in a hilly or inland area where the horizon is at different levels so it’s harder to tell, but with this video it’s pretty obvious their is a firmware issue.

Either way it’s something DJI needs to fix since it is a firmware issue that many people are expirencing even if it’s not effecting everyone.
2021-3-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't had this issue either...
2021-3-11
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-11 08:30
Trust me, it is firmware related as he himself who is an expert on drones with over 10k subs has noticed it and I’m sure he would be aware if something was wrong with the hardware on his drone.

I also have the exact same issue and I have had only my drone for a month and have not crashed or damaged it in any way, so looking at all this it proves it is a firmware issue.

I actually wouldn't trust anyone doing a YouTube video to be 100% accurate because they have 10K subs.
It could very well be a firmware problem.
I and others don't have this problem with the latest firmware.
I'm not sure being irate at dji is warranted.
YES, it could be a firmware problem and dji may very well figure it out and release a firmware update.
DO NOT put all of your faith in one YouTuber diagnosing a firmware problem!
2021-3-11
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

TP-FPV Posted at 3-11 08:37
I actually wouldn't trust anyone doing a YouTube video to be 100% accurate because they have 10K subs.

I’m not but looking at the evidence from my experiences and what explained in the video it makes it very likely that it’s a firmware issue otherwise it means my drone, his and 100s of others who have said the same thing on the video and friends I know with the same issue are all wrong and bascially have a broken drone! And I’ve not even crashed it once!
2021-3-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-11 08:41
I’m not but looking at the evidence from my experiences and what explained in the video it makes it very likely that it’s a firmware issue otherwise it means my drone, his and 100s of others who have said the same thing on the video and friends I know with the same issue are all wrong and bascially have a broken drone! And I’ve not even crashed it once!

Maybe use DJI assistant and refresh the firmware and try again?  I've had to do this after an update issue before, and the follow up resolved my issue.
2021-3-11
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Oracle Miata Posted at 3-11 08:45
Maybe use DJI assistant and refresh the firmware and try again?  I've had to do this after an update issue before, and the follow up resolved my issue.

Unfortunately the DJI assistant for the Mini 2 does not allow you to do any of that, all you can do is export logs.

This can only be fixed by DJI addressing it but I’ve not had any word on it yet and when I tried to contact them for help they just tell me to send it back which is a joke when it’s a firmware issue and I could potentially end up paying a ton of money for the inspection and not have my drone back for over a month from other peoples experiences with it.
2021-3-11
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-11 08:30
Trust me, it is firmware related as he himself who is an expert on drones with over 10k subs has noticed it and I’m sure he would be aware if something was wrong with the hardware on his drone.

I also have the exact same issue and I have had only my drone for a month and have not crashed or damaged it in any way, so looking at all this it proves it is a firmware issue.

You keep bringing up how popular he is etc...But the fact is not every single person that owns a mini 2 gets this issue...So the facts would point to it not being firmware related for all of us
2021-3-11
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 3-11 11:03
You keep bringing up how popular he is etc...But the fact is not every single person that owns a mini 2 gets this issue...So the facts would point to it not being firmware related for all of us

It clearly is a firmware issue as one of my  neighbours who only got his drone a few days ago told me he’s been having the same issue as me with a unlevel gimbal after calibrating it many times, and the only alternative is a hardware issue which is clearly isnt due to the fact that he’s not damaged his drone at all and neither have I since I’ve only had it a month, and that’s would also mean the YouTubers drone had an issue as well which dosent add up!

So I think we need to apply some common sense from reading all this and see that clearly isn’t a hardware issue, and the fact that it has all happend since the update makes it extremely likely it’s a firmware issue even if it’s not effecting everyone but some.

Either way DJI need to address this in an update as several people I’ve seen have had this issue from people commenting on the YouTube I showed and people I know personally with the same drone as well as myself.
2021-3-11
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 3-11 08:37
I haven't had this issue either...

Exactly and thousands and thousands of others haven’t either
2021-3-11
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
United States

TP-FPV Posted at 3-11 08:37

Exactly I totally agree
2021-3-11
Use props
Stu.Baby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52218 ft
United Kingdom

This same YouTuber was spouting off about how the latest app update (app, not firmware) fixed his drifting issues. More likely to have been less windy that day.
2021-3-11
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ok the sea level didn't line up perfectly with his red line on the screen but personally I didn't think it was unacceptable to start with, mind you it's a 249g feather weight drone flying in some wind.  Never had the Mini2 in RTH mode after 70 flights so never really knew the gimbal would tilt so badly when steering the nose during RTH
2021-3-11
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-11 08:25
Having commented on his channel, he has said even in lower winds he still has the same issue showing it is very much to do with the firmware. He also has over 10k subs so having got the issue myself as well, it’s very clear it is a firmware issue

From a YouTuber who continually states his drone drifts due to the App, hardly an expert!
2021-3-12
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

TDZHDTV Posted at 3-12 08:42
From a YouTuber who continually states his drone drifts due to the App, hardly an expert!

Either way it’s very likely it is a firmware issue as I know several people who are experiencing the same problem, as well as a ton of people who commented on the video saying they had the exact same issue.

Hopefully DJI can address this issue and fix it in the next firmware update.
2021-3-12
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 3-11 12:58
Exactly and thousands and thousands of others haven’t either

Correct but it still has effected at least a few hundred people including several people I know myself who have the DJI Mini 2 with this unlevel gimbal horizon, as well as a ton of people who said in the comment section of that video.

The only other reason would be a hardware issue which is extremely unlikely that all these people including myself and the youtuber who would probaly know if it was a hardware issue having looked at his expirences with drones. I also only got my drone a few weeks ago and had none of these issues until the update. Just because your not having it dosent mean other people arent.

So looking at this as said before the most likely and probale reason is a firmware issue, which is why DJI need to address and at least look into this so it can fixed in a future firmware update.
2021-3-12
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Stu.Baby Posted at 3-11 14:11
This same YouTuber was spouting off about how the latest app update (app, not firmware) fixed his drifting issues. More likely to have been less windy that day.

Even so, the fact the video evidence shows the issue of which myself and others are expirencing shows thier is a firmware issue which DJI need to look into and fix in a future firmware update.
2021-3-12
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 3-11 14:43
Ok the sea level didn't line up perfectly with his red line on the screen but personally I didn't think it was unacceptable to start with, mind you it's a 249g feather weight drone flying in some wind.  Never had the Mini2 in RTH mode after 70 flights so never really knew the gimbal would tilt so badly when steering the nose during RTH

Having used the drone before the update, this amout of level off is not normal and has only come about since the firmware update, makes it very likely it is a firmware issue.
2021-3-12
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Either way it’s very likely it is a firmware issue as I know several people who are experiencing the same problem, as well as a ton of people who commented on the video saying they had the exact same issue.

Hopefully DJI can address this issue and fix it in the next firmware update.
2021-3-12
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-12 09:08
Having used the drone before the update, this amout of level off is not normal and has only come about since the firmware update, makes it very likely it is a firmware issue.

I can't really comment on the tilting during RTH because I've never had my Mini2 on RTH. But regarding the amount of tilt of the horizon with respect to that red line, I honestly say it is no worse than any of my other much more expensive drones, over the hundreds, if not thousands of hours I've flown.
2021-3-12
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Most Youtubers, if not all, need to make a big fuss out of anything they can pick to make a video. And this particular Youtuber in my opinion is not one of the worst, until I saw him complaining about the little amount of tilt in the horizon.
2021-3-12
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 3-12 14:28
I can't really comment on the tilting during RTH because I've never had my Mini2 on RTH. But regarding the amount of tilt of the horizon with respect to that red line, I honestly say it is no worse than any of my other much more expensive drones, over the hundreds, if not thousands of hours I've flown.

It is still clearly a firmware issue that needs to be fixed as this issue wasn’t here before the update
2021-3-12
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-12 14:58
It is still clearly a firmware issue that needs to be fixed as this issue wasn’t here before the update

Go put a red line on this guy's previous videos and tell yourself the tilt wasn't there on older firmware!
2021-3-12
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 3-12 17:59
Go put a red line on this guy's previous videos and tell yourself the tilt wasn't there on older firmware!

I already have checked it going through the old footage before the update and it was perfectly level, but all the other footage I have tried to take just shows the horizon level is off which is no good for editing.

So clearly a firmware issue that DJI need to look into.
2021-3-13
Use props
djiuser_XJycX1pwS1cr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43153 ft
Serbia

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-13 01:31
I already have checked it going through the old footage before the update and it was perfectly level, but all the other footage I have tried to take just shows the horizon level is off which is no good for editing.

So clearly a firmware issue that DJI need to look into.

Is there any difference when the drone was built? I saw one yt clip about gimbal level problem and after replacement it seemd that the problem was gone. I am looking forward to buy mini2 but all i can find is built in october 2020. Does the date matter?
2021-3-13
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

djiuser_XJycX1pwS1cr Posted at 3-13 04:43
Is there any difference when the drone was built? I saw one yt clip about gimbal level problem and after replacement it seemd that the problem was gone. I am looking forward to buy mini2 but all i can find is built in october 2020. Does the date matter?

No as said it’s a firmware issue as this issue wasn’t present before the update
2021-3-13
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DronePilot567 Posted at 3-11 08:41
I’m not but looking at the evidence from my experiences and what explained in the video it makes it very likely that it’s a firmware issue otherwise it means my drone, his and 100s of others who have said the same thing on the video and friends I know with the same issue are all wrong and bascially have a broken drone! And I’ve not even crashed it once!

To me it sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe a batch or assembly issue. If it was a FW issue it would be consistent on every drone on the planet not just a couple.
2021-3-13
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

bjr981s Posted at 3-13 05:11
To me it sounds like a hardware issue. Maybe a batch or assembly issue. If it was a FW issue it would be consistent on every drone on the planet not just a couple.

That would be extremely unlikely as several people I know also have the issue including one who only got his drone last week and hasn’t crashed it once. also not everyone gets effected by a firmware issue as a lot of them are rare as stated by DJI with previous fixes, so it is very much a firmware issue if you watch the video.
2021-3-13
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 3-12 14:41
Most Youtubers, if not all, need to make a big fuss out of anything they can pick to make a video. And this particular Youtuber in my opinion is not one of the worst, until I saw him complaining about the little amount of tilt in the horizon.

Yep he’s a drama queen for sure
2021-3-13
Use props
djiuser_MT4QA24KLc1X
New
Flight distance : 1066575 ft
Ukraine

I  also have problem with horizont with my mini 2. I calibrate gimbal every flyght manually.
Autocalibration at home does not help at all.
2021-3-13
Use props
DronePilot567
lvl.2

United Kingdom

djiuser_MT4QA24KLc1X Posted at 3-13 16:08
I  also have problem with horizont with my mini 2. I calibrate gimbal every flyght manually.
Autocalibration at home does not help at all.

yeh its clear by now after all the research i done its a firmware issue that some people are expirencing more than others, can only wait for the next firmware update and hope it is fixed.
2021-3-18
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have been on the latest firmware since release and had not noticed the misalignment of the gimble.  It does explain why the corse heading using the camera over a long distance was slightly off and required correction during flight.

I think we are due for an update soon if the cycle is any indictor.  Hopefully hyper lapse for photo and video will also be included along with photo zoom so no computer is need to quickly send a zoomed photos.
2021-3-18
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

People are far too particular it all looked good to me

When will people realise that you tubers are just after clicks on their channel and make loads of pointless scare mongering videos

Further once your drone is as you like it leave it alone and don’t do updates
2021-3-19
Use props
DJI Neon Orange
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2429462 ft
United States

I know that this post is 11 days old and you may have found out by now but, there is a fix for your problem. If you go into gimble settings, then click manual, you can adjust the gimble to fix the horizon issue. There are + and - buttons that correct the positioning. Hope this helps.
2021-3-22
Use props
scratchyourmapa
lvl.1
United States

we had the same problem with our Mavic Air and they want to charge us $350 to fix it. The company is a true disgrace and has horrific customer service.
2021-3-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules