DJI Pocket 2 Do-It-All Handle External Mic Audio Noise
6055 10 2021-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
choisinc
lvl.1
South Korea

3.5mm mic port on the Do-It-All Handle records static noise. I have tested a few mics and I found mics needs plug-in power make this noise. Mics don't need plug-in power(which operated by battery) do not record static noise. When livestreaming, it gets worse. And there's more. When I operate mini control stick, it also records weird noise, too. This only happens when I record audio via 3.5mm mic port on the Do-It-All Handle - not wireless mic. And yes, I updated to recent firmware(1.03). Someone in this forum asked DJI if there is a way to turn off wifi on the Pocket 2. I guess it might sove the problem but then I cannot livestream with an external mic. I am afraid this is a hardware problem.

2021-3-11
Use props
lvl.2
Germany

Hi, I had a similar problem when connecting an external stereo line in signal. there was always heavy noise in the recordings. i found out that you can set the input gain in pro settings and the noise is caused by the fact that the default gain setting is always 10dB! Important: the setting ONLY appears when you connect an external mic or line signal! set it to 1dB and the noise is gone. please check the screenshots i made for you. hope i could help. have a good one.

2021-3-18
Use props
lvl.2
Germany

...and by the way, the Pocket 2 is capable of stereo recording via the 3,5mm line-in over the Do-it-all-handle...!
2021-3-18
Use props
choisinc
lvl.1
South Korea

212 Posted at 3-18 01:52
Hi, I had a similar problem when connecting an external stereo line in signal. there was always heavy noise in the recordings. i found out that you can set the input gain in pro settings and the noise is caused by the fact that the default gain setting is always 10dB! Important: the setting ONLY appears when you connect an external mic or line signal! set it to 1dB and the noise is gone. please check the screenshots i made for you. hope i could help. have a good one.

[view_image]

Thanks. I just tried to set the gain to 1dB, thought it might be too quiet. However, the result was very disappointed. It was too quiet and the noise is still there. In fact, the noise sounds louder because audio loudness is low but noise stays same.
2021-3-18
Use props
lvl.2
Germany

choisinc Posted at 3-18 03:13
Thanks. I just tried to set the gain to 1dB, thought it might be too quiet. However, the result was very disappointed. It was too quiet and the noise is still there. In fact, the noise sounds louder because audio loudness is low but noise stays same.

Ok, sad to hear. Other reason could be broken or low quality cable, try changing the cable. Or your external mic is somehow broken. Did you connect your mic to another device and make a recording? Is the noise there as well? Also, connect and record another mic to your Pocket 2. Is the noise there as well? Try to isolate the noise by making tests. If the noise is still be there, even by testing all of the above mentioned ways, there might be defect in your Pocket 2 and you should send it to DJI to have them checking it. Good luck !
2021-3-18
Use props
choisinc
lvl.1
South Korea

212 Posted at 3-18 12:57
Ok, sad to hear. Other reason could be broken or low quality cable, try changing the cable. Or your external mic is somehow broken. Did you connect your mic to another device and make a recording? Is the noise there as well? Also, connect and record another mic to your Pocket 2. Is the noise there as well? Try to isolate the noise by making tests. If the noise is still be there, even by testing all of the above mentioned ways, there might be defect in your Pocket 2 and you should send it to DJI to have them checking it. Good luck !

Thanks for your reply. I did tried several mics and all mics need plug-in power make noise - and they are fine when I use them with osmo pocket original. Let me ask you this: which mic did you use with your pocket 2?
2021-3-18
Use props
lezh
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Same issue here.

My guess is that the noise is caused by electronic interference. I tried the microphones on other devices (ie mirrorless cameras) and found that wifi and bluetooth would both introduce strong electronic interference to generate the noises (a recurring clicking sound). If I turn off the wifi and bluetooth of the cameras, the noise would disappear.

Unfortunately, the wifi and bluetooth of the do-it-all handle could not be turned off. Therefore, I cannot verify if this is the case for the DJI Pocket 2.
2021-7-15
Use props
knowless
lvl.2
Italy

Same issue.
2022-6-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

In this video there is some discussion of noise - some hear it, others don't - personally I can't hear it, or see it on a spectograph display.

2022-6-25
Use props
kpm400
New

Brazil

Clicking/feeback noise: I'm having the same problem. I noticed on my last outdoor outing. I didn't notice it on the my first two outdoor recordings even checking them back now, so I found that strange. I use a Deity mini unpowered mic and generally operate the camera via the app on my iphone relatively nearby the camera. The mic comes with 2 cables so I tested them both (indoors), along with the other scenarios listed above.

- Deity Cables in DO it all Handle: With both cables (no way both are bad) in the do it all handle, the clicking/feedback noise is present.
- DJI wifi mic: no feedback/clicking noise...perhaps because it's powered as mentioned above, there is still some white noise, perhaps because default setting is 10db
- Deity mic plugged into DJI wifi mic: no feedback clicking, still white noise
- Deity Cables in DO it all Handle, phone on airplane mode: no feedback clicking, still white noise
- White Noise: gets better when reducing de volume within pocket 2 menus, but the audio i want also reduces. did a few mores tests....

Seems the best setup for me is 5db, unpowered mic connected to dji wifi mic. I'm going to record next weekend outdoors/nature/camping sounds, no talking. If significant improvement from previous video and at home test, will post.
2023-1-15
Use props
djiuser_8lUiRVLbrZlN
New
Flight distance : 27208 ft
Portugal

I have the same issue, I am so glad I read this forum as  I  thought I was going crazy!  So I have a Sennheiser AVX Wireless system with the MKE-2 Mic. Totally over the top I know. But same/similar  issue, there is an audible clicking sound as I speak. I tried the Mic directly into the DJI Pocket 2 and it was the same. I spent a whole after noon trying every variable of the gain setting in the DJI and the AF control on the Sennheiser no change clicking sound still there. System works perfectly on my Samsung S21 Ultra. With  the smart phone the audio is superb. I am assuming the original poster has it correct  (Thank you choisinc) when he says it happens  with Mics that normally user Phantom power. I shall test it again with another Mic when I get home. The DJI Wireless mic is Ok but of course I lost the fluffy Wind shield on the second day so a Lavelier mic offers many more wind protection solutions hence the Sennheiser. The Fluffly windshield on the DJI Mic just falls off too easily and DJI doesn't seem to sell them as spares, if they did they would probably make a small fortune as I can't imagine I'm the only one who has lost it?  So my take on the problem is that the Pocket 2, even though it has a mic level on the device and in the app, must be using some sort of Automatic Gain Control  AGC which is incompatible with certain types of mic. I'm no expert but the clicks that I am experiencing seem to be audible when I am talking and not when I just stand still without speaking outside where the background noise level is quite even. Anyhow that's my tuppence worth. I'm glad I now have found this Forum post and will now try a passive lavelier mic and see if that's the solution. The DJI pocket 2 still amazes me what this little device can do.For some reason its says in my Profile that I'm in Russia which is untrue, I am in fact on the Iberian Pennisula!
UPDATE:
So its a few hours later and I have now tested two more microphones both of which work perfectly plugged straight into the DJI Pocket 2 and those are the incredibly cheap and very cheerful Takstar SGC-598 which is battery operated and secondly and more surprisingly to me, the Sennheiser Shotgun Microphone which is the both  Phantom or Battery powered P6 with the Me 64 capsule. Both of these mics give impeccable sound. So I think I now need to try a passive Lavelier straight in and see if that will be a solution.
2023-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules