MINI2 flying backwards on its own after take off
5773 30 2021-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 152431 ft
Canada

I am frustrated.  My drone 2 times now has flown backwards on its own after take off, reaching an insane out of control speed of 56 mph!   I called and filed a claim to find out WHY it would do this and asked their technicians to look into the flight data to help me understand and to determine perhaps if there might be something wrong with my drone.      It is causing me great concern when flying because I worry that at anytime my DJI MINI 2 will get a "mind" of its own and start flying backwards.  I worry what would happen if it ever hit anyone.   
I called in today and spoke with Jaycob and asked him to let me know what the status of my claim is since I never heard back from anyone.  He managed to get the data analysis report.  I asked him to send it to me to read and also asked him to stay on the phone with me so we could look at it together.  I was SHOCKED at their findings.   After asking why the drone was flying on its own and only STOPPED when I hit the RTH on the controller, the report that they issued was

"Mar 12, 2021, 0:26 GMT+8

Here is the assessment findings from the flight records:

Check the flight record: 2021-03-05 06:25:39, the user triggered the aircraft RTH through the Remote Controller One-tap Return-to-Home at 00:42 flight time, and the aircraft returned to the home point and landed normally.
The aircraft responded to the RTH logic normally, and there was no abnormal phenomenon.​

Best Regards,

Jaycob
DJI Customer Support

It no only did not answer my question of WHY it flew baackwards on its own, the person that did the analysis claimed that there was no abnormal phemomon?  what?  Whoever did this analysis need to have his work analysed by someone.  There was nothing NORMAL about the drone getting a mind of its own and flying backwards.  

I explained this to Jaycob and he told me that their anaysis was that there was nothing abnormal.  I asked him to PLEASE listen to my question - and to please open another case for the second flight when the drone flew backwards on its own.  He told me he couldn't do that?  What?    I asked to speak with someone more senior, he told me that there wasn't anyone else.  I asked to speak with the Data Analysis dept, he told me that I couldn't do that.    I was on the phone for 58 min and felt like I was talking to a wall.   I kept repeating, how can flying backwards be normal, and he told me that was the finding of the report.      Please if there is someone in DJI senior managment that can help me - your team needs to look at the flight data in full.  I want to know why it is flying with a mind of its own and will it do this again?  What if it hits something or worse, someone???  Please help me!   

2021-3-11
Use props
lvl.2
Australia

Must be frustrating. I myself is dealing with crappy customer service from dji and all I want is a refund. The drone is on hold at dhl and long story short dji is doing nothing about it. Good luck with your case man I hope it gets resolved. Keep us updated on this. I am doing the same with my post just below yours.
2021-3-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we are sincerely sorry to hear about your frustration. I've managed to get your case number via your forum account, your situation has been escalated to our corresponding team to check and follow up again. We'll keep you updated soon.
2021-3-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

@_chinocen Posted at 3-11 19:43
Must be frustrating. I myself is dealing with crappy customer service from dji and all I want is a refund. The drone is on hold at dhl and long story short dji is doing nothing about it. Good luck with your case man I hope it gets resolved. Keep us updated on this. I am doing the same with my post just below yours.

Hi there, DJI Susan is following up on your case via your post: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237546, thanks.
2021-3-11
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-11 20:19
Hi there, we are sincerely sorry to hear about your frustration. I've managed to get your case number via your forum account, your situation has been escalated to our corresponding team to check and follow up again. We'll keep you updated soon.

I am eager to know how long this is going to take!
2021-3-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

CKDJIMINI2 Posted at 3-12 05:06
I am eager to know how long this is going to take!

Hi there, could you please help to connect the drone to DJI Assistant 2, export the issued flight data from the drone, and if there a video recording at that time, please also provide the video to us as well.
Please upload the data to Dropbox or Google Drive and provide me with the link, thank you.
2021-3-13
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-13 02:50
Hi there, could you please help to connect the drone to DJI Assistant 2, export the issued flight data from the drone, and if there a video recording at that time, please also provide the video to us as well.
Please upload the data to Dropbox or Google Drive and provide me with the link, thank you.

Can you email me to my email that you have on file from my case that I filed.  Then I will know what email address to send the dropbox link to.  Thank you.  Please note that  when I filed the case I gave all this data to DJI.  Are you not able to find that data from the case filed?  
2021-3-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

CKDJIMINI2 Posted at 3-13 17:01
Can you email me to my email that you have on file from my case that I filed.  Then I will know what email address to send the dropbox link to.  Thank you.  Please note that  when I filed the case I gave all this data to DJI.  Are you not able to find that data from the case filed?

I am sorry if I missed any info. I had checked the email from your forum account, there was no flight data from the drone, and no video. Only the flight record from the app was checked.
Please send the data and video again to support@dji.com and provide me with the ticket number, thank you.
2021-3-13
Use props
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-11 20:28
Hi there, DJI Susan is following up on your case via your post: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=237546, thanks.

Thank you I have just responded to her reply. Thanks Natalia.
2021-3-14
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-13 18:14
I am sorry if I missed any info. I had checked the email from your forum account, there was no flight data from the drone, and no video. Only the flight record from the app was checked.
Please send the data and video again to support@dji.com and provide me with the ticket number, thank you.

I am not sure what you mean by sending flight data.  All this info should already be on file with the case that was already filed.  But sure, i will email and also put the details here.  The flight in question was March 4, 2021 and the time was 17:25.    You should be able to pull all the data from that flight linked to my machine.  I done know how to send you the data from the flight.      Maybe your technician can call me and explain to me what more you might need.
2021-3-15
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-13 02:50

I sent the email to the address you requested - ref 3424623 -  What now?  
2021-3-15
Use props
djiuser_XPDAqshoREWt
lvl.1

Canada

Is similar to my case. I was flying the MIni 2 in the mountains with good satellite connection but suddenly the drone went higher in its own. It went further when I tried to return home. After that it went left for about 1200m even I pressed RTH, It continued left, but in the map it shows the arrow pointing to the home point . In the end battery died and it landed in an area that cannot get too, due to snow and cliffs. All this time just flew leftwards.  
2021-3-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

CKDJIMINI2 Posted at 3-15 08:46
I sent the email to the address you requested - ref 3424623 -  What now?

Our team is following up on your ticket and has replied to your email. Please check it, thanks.
2021-3-16
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

So I got a similar reply that was of no help.  Let me post what TOM had to say.  And I will also post my initial email to your support team and also my follow up email.  This is so frustrating.  You data analysis is missing the point.    PLEASE read my emails and read what I am asking.  I don't know how to be more clear.    HELP ME, PLEASE!!
2021-3-16
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

Here is what TOM replied along with my email to your support.  

Tom (Support)
Mar 16, 2021, 16:43 GMT+8
Dear Chantal,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

Upon checking your case, our data analysis engineers are well-trained, the aircraft responded to the RTH logic normally, and there was no abnormal phenomenon. It is recommanded that you refer to RTH logic, and review again.

Your understanding and patience is highly appreciated.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Tom
DJI Technical Support Website:http://www.dji.com/support
Youtube:http://s.dji.com/DJI-Tutorials

Mar 16, 2021, 0:43 GMT+8
Hi there I posted some thing on your forum on March 11 at 9:37 AM. I have been getting responses from Natalia and she suggested that I send you the information to this email. I’ve already filed a case number where supposedly one of your data analyst looked at the details of a flight and found nothing abnormal, which I find very concerning because the drone flew backwards on its own without me touching the controller and reached a maximum speed of 56 mph, when I spoke with one of your support members in the Philippines all they kept repeating was was that the data analyst found nothing of normal with the flight. So the case number that you can pull up which would be linked to all of the flight data that you need to investigate is as follows.  

Case number CAs-6001292-L4mp3

Again just in case you have difficulty finding the particular flight in question that prompted me to make the call was on March 4, 2021 and the time was at 17:25

I look forward to your response

Thank you

Chantal

Sent from my iPhone
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.
此电子邮件及附件所包含内容具有机密性,且仅限于接收人使用。未经允许,禁止第三人阅读、复制或传播该电子邮件中的任何信息。如果您不属于以上电子邮件的目标接收者,请您立即通知发送人并删除原电子邮件及其相关的附件。

2021-3-16
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

Here was my reply to Tom and to you and ANYONE at DJI that can PLEASE answer the question and look at the DATA correctly and look at where the drone flew on its own at the start of the flight.  

You guys are missing the point. Yes the RTH (return to home) functioned but it is what happened PRIOR to that, what happened that that FORCED me to have to hit the return to home when my drone was flying without my touching the controller , which in my opinion was an abnormal function. I am pleading for you to PLEASE understand, let me make this very clear, what I want to know is why did the drone fly backwards and hit a speed of 56 miles per hour without me touching the controller. Is that normal according to your data analysis please confirm and also have your well trained analysis team please analyze all the data at the start of the flight within the first 2 minutes.   The data they need to look at and for what I am asking about is why did the drone fly backwards on its own at an insane speed!  How is that normal?

Thank you.

Chantal
2021-3-16
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

djiuser_XPDAqshoREWt Posted at 3-15 14:29
Is similar to my case. I was flying the MIni 2 in the mountains with good satellite connection but suddenly the drone went higher in its own. It went further when I tried to return home. After that it went left for about 1200m even I pressed RTH, It continued left, but in the map it shows the arrow pointing to the home point . In the end battery died and it landed in an area that cannot get too, due to snow and cliffs. All this time just flew leftwards.

Good luck!  They don't seem to want to answer my questions and keep telling me that everything is normal.  They aren't looking at the data that I am pointing them to. They seem to be ignoring my questions but I will not stop until I get answers.  I suggest you do the same.
2021-3-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

CKDJIMINI2 Posted at 3-16 04:26
Here was my reply to Tom and to you and ANYONE at DJI that can PLEASE answer the question and look at the DATA correctly and look at where the drone flew on its own at the start of the flight.  

You guys are missing the point. Yes the RTH (return to home) functioned but it is what happened PRIOR to that, what happened that that FORCED me to have to hit the return to home when my drone was flying without my touching the controller , which in my opinion was an abnormal function. I am pleading for you to PLEASE understand, let me make this very clear, what I want to know is why did the drone fly backwards and hit a speed of 56 miles per hour without me touching the controller. Is that normal according to your data analysis please confirm and also have your well trained analysis team please analyze all the data at the start of the flight within the first 2 minutes.   The data they need to look at and for what I am asking about is why did the drone fly backwards on its own at an insane speed!  How is that normal?

I am sorry for this, Chantal. I had asked the engineers to check the flight record on March 4, 2021 at 17:25 again. If you had recorded a video at that time, please provide it to me as well. Thank you.  
2021-3-17
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 3-17 06:10
I am sorry for this, Chantal. I had asked the engineers to check the flight record on March 4, 2021 at 17:25 again. If you had recorded a video at that time, please provide it to me as well. Thank you.

Again another lame reply  -  see below.  No one is acknowledging the issue that the drone flew backwards or that your data analysis team can see it.  Lets keep trying - ok....

email from Tom below...
Tom (Support)
Mar 17, 2021, 17:41 GMT+8
Dear Chantal,

We appreciate the time you provided to us and we are sorry for the problem you are having but no worries, we are here to assist and help you out.

If you have a dispute about data analysis, upon checking, we have create a repair case for you CAS-6035263-Q3H7P2. It is recommanded that you send back the drone for further investigation.
Thank you for choosing DJI.
Best Regards,
Tom
DJI Technical Support Website:http://www.dji.com/support
Youtube:http://s.dji.com/DJI-Tutorials

2021-3-17
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

So here is my reply to Tom and to you Natalia...

I want your team to look at the Data before I do this.  I want you to acknowledge that you are seeing the period of flight in question.   

I’ve attached a photo showing when the drone was flying on its own backwards and where it was flying at max speed.   This was the point it was out of control.     Can you please have you team look at this portion of the flight and acknowledge that they now understand when the drone was flying on its own without the controller directing it to fly like this.

Does that make more sense to you.

I don’t want to send it back and keep getting this responses that do not answer the question I’ve been asking over and over and over again.  

I will post this on the forum as well for Natalia to also follow.  

Thank you

2021-3-17
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

Look above, you will see the date and time of the issue and speed

2021-3-17
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

If you look at the total history of the flight in the first 30 seconds during takeoff - yoiu will see within 29 second the drone drifted 433 away from me at a speed of 56 mile per hour.  You will see that the right control stick was not being touched.  I was doing a take off, so only touching the left stick.  I was attempting a quick sunset shot on the side of the road.    Follow the data for the first 29 second.   When it got out of control - YES it hit RTH and it came back and I then continued to fly it.  BUT - WHY did it fly backward.  Does this NOW make more sense.  Look at the flight data for this flight during the first 30 seconds.  You should now see some abnormality.   Does your team NOW understand this issue.  
2021-3-17
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

I want to know you are looking at the correct data.  I feel like I am talking to a wall.
2021-3-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

CKDJIMINI2 Posted at 3-17 08:49
I want to know you are looking at the correct data.  I feel like I am talking to a wall.

Sorry for the late response. Our engineers have checked the data, the phenomenon that the drone drift was because of interference, you are recommended to calibrate the compass and IMU, try a few more times to see if the problem still exists. If it still persists, you may send it in for a thorough diagnosis. Our team has sent you an email and created a new case for you. Thanks for your kind understanding.
2021-3-18
Use props
CKDJIMINI2
lvl.1
Canada

Can you send me details of how to restore everything back to factory settings?  Thank you.
2021-3-18
Use props
Goki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44301 ft

Brazil

Hi everybody,
On December 13th, 2021, I lost DJI mini2 aircraft in seawater due to uncontrollable backward takeoff.
I have elaborated details with illustrations and video, which is now on my channel:
https://youtu.be/XjG1wjkGbzI

Mr. Fabio Barata to whom I am grateful for guiding me around marvelous Peruibe, almost got himself seriously heart by the uncontrollable takeoff of DJI mini 2.  The date of the incident: December 13th, 2021.

The documentary made about my expedition to Peruibe, is already posted on this very channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipulbAlWtVc&ab_channel=SpectacularBirdingTropicalBrazil

The website with the FORUM DJI is at:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-237684-1-1.html

and video demonstrating such drone backward take-off is here:
https://imgur.com/a/a9SvxaK

So, here I am, with no aircraft, and totally frustrated after losing the tool for working during my birdwatching expeditions.

What can be done in such cases?
2021-12-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Goki Posted at 12-22 18:25
Hi everybody,
On December 13th, 2021, I lost DJI mini2 aircraft in seawater due to uncontrollable backward takeoff.
I have elaborated details with illustrations and video, which is now on my channel:

Hi Goki, I feel sorry to hear about the loss of your drone, I understand how sad it is. Regarding this case, may I know if you have reported it to our support? If you have not reported the case, please contact our support at http://www.dji.com/support to start a case. Data analysis can be processed as long as the drone is within the warranty period and the corresponding offer will be provided based on the analysis result.
2021-12-22
Use props
djiuser_JtHOcoQcqFPK
New

United States

I was flying my drone and it touched a small tree branch and it went into automatic mode. It flew by itself in racing mode. Hit the ground then took off again,then bounced off a trampoline surround and flew by itself at a high rate of speed. The battery came out and flew across the ground end over end. The last we saw it it was moving a hundred miles an hour. 3 of us looked for 3 hours and never found it. I sent the drone in and the people at dji are saying there’s nothing wrong with it. Umm yep there’s something wrong it’s defective and is dangerous. There are software problems with these drones. I had a witness that watched the whole thing happen. It’s still ongoing and dji is saying this is normal. dji had to take responsibility for these software malfunction and fix the problem before someone gets killed.
2022-4-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_JtHOcoQcqFPK Posted at 4-10 15:20
I was flying my drone and it touched a small tree branch and it went into automatic mode. It flew by itself in racing mode. Hit the ground then took off again,then bounced off a trampoline surround and flew by itself at a high rate of speed. The battery came out and flew across the ground end over end. The last we saw it it was moving a hundred miles an hour. 3 of us looked for 3 hours and never found it. I sent the drone in and the people at dji are saying there’s nothing wrong with it. Umm yep there’s something wrong it’s defective and is dangerous. There are software problems with these drones. I had a witness that watched the whole thing happen. It’s still ongoing and dji is saying this is normal. dji had to take responsibility for these software malfunction and fix the problem before someone gets killed.

Umm yep there’s something wrong it’s defective and is dangerous. There are software problems with these drones. I had a witness that watched the whole thing happen. It’s still ongoing and dji is saying this is normal. dji had to take responsibility for these software malfunction and fix the problem before someone gets killed.

How do you know there's a software problem?
Was that just a guess without any evidence to support it?

If you want to find out what actually happened and why, it's necessary to investigate the recorded flight data.
To get to your flight data, go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions to upload the data to that site and it will give a report
For help interpreting the data you can post a link for the report in a new thread here.
Or just post the .txt file.
2022-4-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

I was flying my drone and it touched a small tree branch and it went into automatic mode. It flew by itself in racing mode. Hit the ground then took off again,then bounced off a trampoline surround and flew by itself at a high rate of speed. The battery came out and flew across the ground end over end. The last we saw it it was moving a hundred miles an hour. 3 of us looked for 3 hours and never found it. I sent the drone in and the people at dji are saying there’s nothing wrong with it. Umm yep there’s something wrong it’s defective and is dangerous. There are software problems with these drones. I had a witness that watched the whole thing happen. It’s still ongoing and dji is saying this is normal. dji had to take responsibility for these software malfunction and fix the problem before someone gets killed.

Hello, there djiuser_JtHOcoQcqFPK, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. We will confirm your case with analysts again and will keep you updated. Thank you.
2022-4-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi djiuser_JtHOcoQcqFPK,
We checked your flight data again with the data analyst and confirmed that the problem was not caused by a machine failure:
“User commanded PITCH forward, ROLL left, YAW right, and THROTTLE up/down prior to impact, unit was moving forward towards the left as it rotated right and descended slightly prior to impact as per user stick commands. At t=372s, relative height=6.3m, the unit recorded an impact.  The machine crashed in 372 seconds, and a follow-up anomaly occurred after the crash. ”
After the collision of the aircraft itself, it cannot ensure the normal control of the aircraft in the follow-up.
Therefore, the first impact of the airaft is caused by the stick command error of the pilot, after the collision of the aircraft itself, it cannot ensure the normal control of the aircraft in the follow-up. Sorry that we are not able to provide warranty in this situation.
If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.
2022-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules