Should I Buy DJI FPV if I have no prior experience?
958 6 2021-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ManOfSand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1736883 ft
  • >>>
United States

Should I buy the DJI FPV if I have no prior experience? From what I have seen in the promo video, it seems more user-friendly than other FPV drones, with modes that gradually ease on the controls as you learn.

2021-3-11
Use props
Exib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes just leave it in "N" mode to get you started
2021-3-11
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10 ft
United States

I'm in the same position, and just received my DJI FPV Combo yesterday. My only experience was with a tiny no-camera 3" quad which I flew around inside my house for a few days.

There are a lot of rough edges -- most of which could be solved with a little user-focused technical writing! -- but this is the first time I really felt FPV was approachable for me.

With a single purchase, you get the drone, controller and goggles, and everything you need for a flight, no soldering required. You get a flight simulator you can drive with the goggles and your controller, so you can get comfortable before you put all that money in the air. You get flight modes that are really beginner-friendly, and guard rails to keep you from accidentally turning on Manual mode before you're ready; even in Manual mode the "oh crap hover hover HOVER FOR ME" button still works.

The goggles really make this experience entirely different from piloting something on a phone screen. You feel like you are really flying. I'd enjoyed it on PSVR (VR headset for PlayStation), but of course I was only looking at a virtual world. With FPV, you are exploring the world you really live in.

From what I've read, this is NOT the FPV drone for rock-n-roll racers. It's not an F-16, it's a Cessna. So even though you're a beginner, if your goal is top-speed racing, you should probably go the tried-and-true route and build your own stuff and learn to fly (and repair) it. But if you just want to get up and fly like a bird, this is the fastest way to take to the sky.
2021-3-11
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

No, you should buy a cheap FPV and practice on it first.  Thank me later.
2021-3-11
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10 ft
United States

Well I went out and had a great first flight! I think the simulator time really helped.

I felt a little stupid because I put two propellers on wrong. That won't help it fly. The goggles correctly diagnosed it.

Then I got up and running, and it was so easy! I explored all around this park I was flying at. Twice the system warned me there were aircraft nearby, first a helicopter then a small plane. I was only at 100' and just stayed low and slow.

The clear picture and solid controls gave me a lot of confidence. I mostly stayed completely in the open, but went down an unoccupied sidewalk and between some trees. Slowly.

My daughter came with me as my spotter, and she's going to try it too.

If you've got the cash and you are itching to try, and you are willing to walk before running, I think this is a great kit!
2021-3-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ManOfSand. Good day and thank you for considering the DJI FPV as your next drone. In addition to this post I will post a link where in you can see the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI Digital FPV System ( https://www.dji.com/dji-fpv?site=brandsite&from=nav ). Thank you.
2021-3-11
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

No, you shouldn't!      
2021-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now