Automatically starting video recording on takeoff
5838 10 2021-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John-_-D
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10 ft
United States

I went flying today for the first time. I'd set the menu entry that is supposed to automatically start recording video on takeoff, both on the goggles and the drone. But I was very disappointed when I got home  to find that nothing was recorded.

Has anyone found any issues with this feature? Do you see something in the goggles display when it IS recording?
2021-3-11
Use props
RedCorn Studios
lvl.2
Flight distance : 551916 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had files missing when I get home. I assume it recorded because there should have been a #7 between 6 and 8, and would have had most of the flight. Instead the only is the last 30 seconds when I’m coming back in to land. So it did record something
2021-3-12
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Make sure the card in the aircraft is fast enough, Class 10 & U3.

Also if you’re recording mode is set to both are you getting missing recordings on both devices?
2021-3-12
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 3-12 23:13
Make sure the card in the aircraft is fast enough, Class 10 & U3.

Also if you’re recording mode is set to both are you getting missing recordings on both devices?

Yes, Class 10 and U3. 256 MB. Formatted within the goggles, one for the goggles and one for the drone.

Yes I got no recordings at all. I will try again with manual recording, hopefully I will learn what is shown in the OSD so I will know if it THINKS it is recording.
I shoudl add this: I remember at least one of the cards had something like dji.db. So at least one of the two devices did write successfully to the card. Just no video files.

I DID pull the card out and look at the filesystem myself. Is that how everyone does it? Or do you attach the devices themselves and pull off the files some other way?
2021-3-12
Use props
djiuser_DoB9myAJAKZc
lvl.3

United States

I've had missing recordings, too. Seems to be random.
I know on one of my flights should've been 3-parts:
1st recording of the drone lifting off and flying.
2nd recording was just more flying.
3rd (missing, video cuts off at 2nd recording) failed to save and record flying over some mountains and landing at the take-off point.
I use a card reader adapter for my iPad and use the Files app to download since the Photos app fails to import H 265 videos.
2021-3-13
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
United States

djiuser_DoB9myAJAKZc Posted at 3-13 00:02
I've had missing recordings, too. Seems to be random.
I know on one of my flights should've been 3-parts:
1st recording of the drone lifting off and flying.

Thanks for the useful reply!
2021-3-13
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
United States

OK this is embarrassing.

I was trying to figure out what's going on, and I went through my menus again. The auto-record option is NOT on.

I had definitely set it on, but I did a settings reset to fix a pairing problem, and I think I totally reset all my menu selections.

So I will try it again tomorrow. Also, I did learn what happens in the goggles when recording is active -- you get a red indicator instead of the "room left" display on the right center of the display, and a single counter counts up to show the length of the current recording.

Thanks for the information everyone gave, and I'm sorry to have misreported.
2021-3-13
Use props
John-_-D
lvl.2
United States

Further confirmation: after I verified the menu entry is correct, I went out today to fly. The video was automatically captured fine. So I have not personally had a problem with auto-record (except not setting the option after resetting the Goggle settings).
2021-3-13
Use props
fansd8612d99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 762031 ft
United States

I have randomly missed records too! From 1 to 16, file number 11 missed in drone but I have it in goggles. Definitely bug in Drone FW
2021-3-13
Use props
fans62bf6c90
lvl.1
United States

I'm having the same issues. I reset my goggles and activated the 'record on take-off' but it won't record automatically. I am able to manually initiate recording but only manually. I've tried this several times. It was working before the reset. Any ideas? thanks for reading...
2021-8-23
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

John-_-D Posted at 3-13 17:42
Further confirmation: after I verified the menu entry is correct, I went out today to fly. The video was automatically captured fine. So I have not personally had a problem with auto-record (except not setting the option after resetting the Goggle settings).

2021-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules