Cell Phone Compatibility Questions
1841 24 2021-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

I have never owned a drone and was thinking the Mini 2 might be the way to go for a first time user, but after doing some research on-line, I need a few things clarified.

1.   I live in a rural area with little to no cell phone coverage so I only have a Motorola G6 I keep in the car for occasional or emergency use with the least expensive pay as you go service that I could fine.    In looking at the compatibility of the Motorola G6 with the Mini 2, I found a list with the Motorla G6 in italic which indicates it is OK to use with the Mini 2 to use as reported by users.  Further down the page however DJI, indicates that the Motorola G6 is not compatible with no further info.  Why the discrepancy and why exactly does DJI say it is not compatible?   

2.  If      cannot use my cell phone, are there alternative devices made by other      vendors that you can use instead of a cell phone with only the features you      need for drone flying.  I didn’t see      any but perhaps I am using the wrong search terms..  
3.  As a      last resort, I could probably look for the least expensive cell phone that      is compatible and purchase it for drone only use, but do you need a service to use it with      a drone?  Would I be able to use it      with only WiFi for preflight needs such as loading the needed apps?       I certainly do not need a second cell phone for cell phone service.  
2021-3-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why the discrepancy and why exactly does DJI say it is not compatible?  
It's hard to say without knowing/seeing what list you are talking about.

But previous DJI drones flew with the DJI Go 4 app which ran on 32 bit and 64 bit phones.
DJI Fly which the newer drones use will only run on a 64 bit phone.
It looks like the G6 had a 64 bit processor, but if it's running Android 8, that's a 32 bit operating syatem, so won't run DJI FLy.
2021-3-12
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI is not bale to test every single Android device and put the comment "ok to use as reported by users" because there are some users out there that have that device and it works perfectly fine on. DJI has to include the disclaimer about still not being supported because their engineers did not approve it.

You do not need cell service to fly the drone.

You could check the approved list and then buy a used device from that list. From what I have seen on this forum DJI tends to lean heavier in favor of the iOS platform and the Android OS seems to have some issues especially when there is a new app update.

Best of luck and don't hesitate to ask all the questions you need on this forum. Its a good place to get your information.
2021-3-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cavu Films Posted at 3-12 14:35
DJI is not bale to test every single Android device and put the comment "ok to use as reported by users" because there are some users out there that have that device and it works perfectly fine on. DJI has to include the disclaimer about still not being supported because their engineers did not approve it.

You do not need cell service to fly the drone.

From what I have seen on this forum DJI tends to lean heavier in favor of the iOS platform and the Android OS seems to have some issues especially when there is a new app update.
Although this myth gets repeated often in the forum, it's just not true.
Either operating system works just as well.
Users should use whichever they are comfortable with.
2021-3-12
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Speaking of myths, there is nothing wrong with Android 8. I am running Android 7 on an approved 64 bit Samsung S6 and Android 8 on a Samsung S8 and DJI FLY works fine on both.
2021-3-12
Use props
ozoffi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

Here: https://www.dji.com/at/mini-2/downloads you can find the lists of devices recommended by DJI as compatible.
In fact, it works (in use by myself):
iPhone 6S with iOS12, LG G7 ThinQ with Android 10, Samsung Tab S6 with Android 11
2021-3-13
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

@Labroides
> It's hard to say without knowing/seeing what list you are talking about.

My error.  I thought I was still on the DJI web site, but I was not.   The list I was referring to is at https://cultofdrone.com/dji-fly-compatible-device/.    On that page there is list that begins with “DJI Mini 2, Mavic Air 2, and Mavic Mini Compatible Android Phones and Tablets” and in that list it lists the Motorola G6 in italic indicating that users found it was compatible.  Beyond that there is a second list that begins with “DJI Fly Incompatible List (Update regularly)” that indicates the Motorola G6 is not compatible.  The site, https://keysterm.com/dji-fly-app-compatible-smartphone-list/, also indicates it is not compatible.  It would appear your only option is to pay your money and take your chances.

@Cavu Films
> You do not need cell service to fly the drone.

Thank you.

@GaryDoug
> ….there is nothing wrong with Android 8.

Thank you

@all
Thanks to all that replied

I found the support page https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads where I can download DJI Fly version 1.3.0, which I assume it is the latest and greatest. According the description, it only requires Android 6.0 or newer.  It says nothing about it needing to be a 64 bit version of Android.

All the comments and information that I have read since my first post does however bring up another question.

I think I have read you should update the firmware on your Mini 2 if needed before flying to make sure it operates safely.   If you have a cell phone that is two years old or older and it is currently working with your drone, should you ignore that advice so you don’t find your phone is no longer compatible after an update?  Or would you be safe if you upgraded the firmware, but not the app?

Along those same lines, I did not see a location on the DJI web site for downloading previous versions of apps so you could use them with older phones.  Is there one I missed?  It would be nice to be able to download an older version to use if you cannot use the current one.

Without the assurance that your older phone will continue to work in the future with the drone you just purchased, it makes the suggestion to purchase an older compatible phone only for drone use problematic.  It might only be good for a month or two before it no longer will work after an update.

Since there has not been an answer to my second question, I guess there is no such device that is made to permanently take the place of a cell phone.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I really do not want buyer’s remorse because I didn’t do my homework.  

Thank you.

2021-3-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bill__S Posted at 3-13 08:20
@Labroides

Hi,

my oldest cell phone is on android 7.1.  It did work for the GoApp and use it now with the Flyapp starting with the Mavic Air2, mini1, mini 2...All firmware updates ect, Fly App version upgrades ; no problem at all.

So i do not expect problems in the future...
And happy i have seperate devices only in use for my drones.

cheers
JJB
2021-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bill__S Posted at 3-13 08:20
@Labroides

On that page there is list ... and in that list  it lists the Motorola G6 in italic indicating that users found it was  compatible.  Beyond that there is a second list that begins with “DJI  Fly Incompatible.
That's a pretty sloppy listing.
You'd have to ask the folks that made it why the phone is listed in both sections.
It might be that the phone has different versions or perhaps some users didn't know what they were doing ?
This is a much more reliable listing:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18
It shows quite low numbers using that phone and only one using it for DJI Fly (that's the number highlighted in blue).
I'd like to see lots of happy users before I accepted it was a good flying device.

I think I have read that you should  ....
The problem with this is that a lot of what you read on the internet is garbage. (Like the piece I read suggesting that Android 8 was still a 32 bit operating system).
Don't automatically accept whtever you read as correct.

update the firmware on your Mini 2 if needed before flying to make sure it operates safely.
It's probably a good idea to confirm that everything works properly before complicating things by updating anything.

If you have a cell phone that is two years old or older and it is currently working with your drone, should you ignore that advice so you don’t find your phone is no longer compatible after an update?  Or would you be safe if you upgraded the firmware, but not the app?
This sounds like myth or misunderstanding.
Updates aren't going to make a previously good phone incompatible.

Without the assurance that your older phone will continue to work in the future with the drone you just purchased, it makes the suggestion to purchase an older compatible phone only for drone use problematic.  It might only be good for a month or two before it no longer will work after an update.
It doesn't work like that, phones aren't compatible before an update and incompatible after.

Since there has not been an answer to my second question, I guess there is no such device that is made to permanently take the place of a cell phone.
Tablets work very well in place of a cell phone (and give a better/bigger screen to view).

2021-3-13
Use props
fans017bca4d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I have an old LG G4 which works perfectly with DJI FLY and which is not on any list, I also have an iPad mini 4 which is on all the list but which does not work well `` cpu not powerful enough '' do not rely on the list.
2021-3-13
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

Labroides, thanks for the lengthy post that covered all my questions and topics, and also thanks to fans017bca4d for the post of his experience with older cell phones.

I now believe, based on all the posts in this thread, that I have very good chance of success with the Mini 2 and the Motorola G6. Before all the responses, I had my doubts. Thanks again
2021-3-15
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Bill__S Posted at 3-15 16:32
Labroides, thanks for the lengthy post that covered all my questions and topics, and also thanks to fans017bca4d for the post of his experience with older cell phones.

I now believe, based on all the posts in this thread, that I have very good chance of success with the Mini 2 and the Motorola G6. Before all the responses, I had my doubts. Thanks again

Download the fly app, and update to 1.2.3, see if the App works without the drone. Then you should have a good chance of success.
2021-3-16
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

videoeditman Posted at 3-16 06:37
Download the fly app, and update to 1.2.3, see if the App works without the drone. Then you should have a good chance of success.

Sounds like a good idea.  I will give it a try.   Thanks
2021-3-16
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

videoeditman Posted at 3-16 06:37

That was good advice,.  I tried two different ways to install the app today and both times it came close but no cigar.   The install nearly completed but at the end it hesitated or stalled and then said “App not installed”

I really do not understand why any other app runs fine on most if not all Android devices for a given Android version while the DJI Fly app is so finicky it only runs on certain devices and there doesn’t officially seem to be a rhyme or reason.

Is there an official list of specifications that indicates what a device needs to have to work with Fly that I have missed?

All I can tell from looking at the DJI download page is that it has to be Android 6 or newer and that is it.   Beyond that I have gathered form unofficial sources that the CPU needs to be 64 bit and have 8 cores.    The Motorola G6 is 64 bit, has 8 cores, and has Android 8 installed.    It should work based on the criteria I am aware of.  What other specifications does a device have to meet and where are they officially listed on the DJI web site?     

2021-3-17
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

It is hit and miss if you don't have one of the popular phones. The phone I've got works flawless with Go4 (which I believe is a more advanced, complicated app) , but I cannot use it with the Fly (no live video feed). It has a 64 bit 8 core processor running stock android 6...
2021-3-17
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

fans017bca4d Posted at 3-13 20:13
I have an old LG G4 which works perfectly with DJI FLY and which is not on any list, I also have an iPad mini 4 which is on all the list but which does not work well `` cpu not powerful enough '' do not rely on the list.

Can you tell me what version of Android is on the LG 4 and if it is 64 bit or 32 bit?    I did a search and it appears it came with different versions of Android and I could not find if they were  32 or 64 bit.    I am looking for a reason why the G6 doesn't work and it might be because the OS is 32 bit even though I cannot find that it is an official requirement.
2021-3-17
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

JJB* Posted at 3-13 09:00
Hi,

my oldest cell phone is on android 7.1.  It did work for the GoApp and use it now with the Flyapp starting with the Mavic Air2, mini1, mini 2...All firmware updates ect, Fly App version upgrades ; no problem at all.

Can you tell me the model of the cell phone and if the CPU and OS are both 64 bit?
2021-3-17
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Bill__S Posted at 3-17 20:58
Can you tell me the model of the cell phone and if the CPU and OS are both 64 bit?

I also forgot to post my phone details, in case it might help someone: It is an Alcatel Pop 4 (6), also known as 7070X.  The SOC is MediaTek Helio P10 MT6755 and it runs stock android 6 (Marshmallow). The app runs and connects to the drone without any issues. I even updated the drone from that phone. But it does not show live feed coming from the drone, ergo the phone is unusable.

As I said the phone works with DJI Go 4, no issues, and the fly app works on the oldest phone I could find in the house: Xiaomi Mi 5 (from 2016)
2021-3-17
Use props
videoeditman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Bill__S Posted at 3-17 20:52
Can you tell me what version of Android is on the LG 4 and if it is 64 bit or 32 bit?    I did a search and it appears it came with different versions of Android and I could not find if they were  32 or 64 bit.    I am looking for a reason why the G6 doesn't work and it might be because the OS is 32 bit even though I cannot find that it is an official requirement.

There are a few threads from here and Mini 1 that discuss that Only 64 bit hardware & OS will work, which is why so many devices don't! Even beyond that there have been issues with Exynos processor versions having problems, I think these might have been solved with firmware updates. Also some  people with Samsung Galaxy S21 have 4 K issues, that phone is newer ( not on compatible list).
2021-3-18
Use props
fans017bca4d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Bill__S Posté à 3-17 20:52
Pouvez-vous me dire quelle version d’Android est sur le LG 4 et si elle est de 64 bits ou 32 bits? J’ai fait une recherche et il semble qu’il est venu avec différentes versions d’Android et je ne pouvais pas trouver si elles étaient 32 ou 64 bits. Je cherche une raison pour laquelle le G6 ne fonctionne pas et c’est peut-être parce que le système d’exploitation est 32 bits, même si je ne peux pas trouver que c’est une exigence officielle.

Spécifications. https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php . androïdes 7, 64 bits  version firmware 01.02.0100 et djifly 1.2.2 et je ne mettras pas à jour jusqu’à ce que j’ai un problème, à la maison, nous avons un proverbe « nous ne changeons pas une recette gagnante »
2021-3-18
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

fans017bca4d Posted at 3-18 05:48
Specs. https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g4-6901.php  .  androïdes 7, 64 bit

I did see that link but it indicated only that it could be Android 5.1.1 to 7.0 and did not indicate to me whether it was 32 -bit or 64 bit.   Thanks for letting me know exactly what yours is.   The fact that it is 64 bit indicates that 64 bit might definitely be a requirement.  Thanks again.
2021-3-18
Use props
Meeze
New
Flight distance : 315 ft
Belgium

Anyone knows if the new Oneplus 9 Pro works with the DJI Fly App?
2021-4-4
Use props
Astro Bob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9616 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-12 14:10
Why the discrepancy and why exactly does DJI say it is not compatible?   
It's hard to say without knowing/seeing what list you are talking about.

DJI says Android 6 and above atr ok. I have a Samsung s7 with Android 8 and it works fine with Fly app on Mini 2.
2021-4-4
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

GaryDoug Posted at 3-12 20:12
Speaking of myths, there is nothing wrong with Android 8. I am running Android 7 on an approved 64 bit Samsung S6 and Android 8 on a Samsung S8 and DJI FLY works fine on both.

Dear GaryDoug,

Can also add that used Android 8 during almost 3 months, with Samsung S8+, and everything was smooth and never experienced any problem.
Recently (more or less 2 months ago) changed to Android 9 and until now, never had a problem.

Have nice flights!
2021-4-4
Use props
Cients
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5537369 ft
Portugal

fans017bca4d Posted at 3-13 20:13
I have an old LG G4 which works perfectly with DJI FLY and which is not on any list, I also have an iPad mini 4 which is on all the list but which does not work well `` cpu not powerful enough '' do not rely on the list.

With Mini and Phantom 3+ used a mobile phone not approved by DJI, which is the Maze Alpha, and never had a problem.
Have nice flights!
2021-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules