Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
GPS Info in JPG photos
1805 16 2021-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
major drone
lvl.1
United States

I see my Exif.GPSInfo metadata are all zeros for photos (.jpg files) taken with Mavic Air 2. I checked camera settings and didn't see an option to enable this nor is it detailed in the user manual (yes, I read the manual). Is storing GPS data with photos taken with Mavic Air 2 a feature I can enable? If so, where?Thanks in advance and kind regards...
2021-3-12
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

Sorry .. I don't have an Air 2 so I can't check to see if their images have GPS metadata .
But for the drones that do, there is no option to turn it on/off and nothing about it can be changed by the user.
2021-3-12
Use props
dwabrams
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1235961 ft
United States

I'm flying a Mavic Air 2 and my jpg photos have lat/lon/altitude in the exif data. I'm not aware of a switch that enables or disables writing it. Here's a screen shot of the information for a typical file, using Irfanview to view the photo and exif data.

2021-3-12
Use props
RobZilla
First Officer
Flight distance : 228550 ft
United States

On Win10 file explorer it shows up including pano shots. Right-click the file, select Details tab and scroll down to GPS.
And yes, I think it's enabled by default. I don't recall seeing a preferencing setting in the app to turn this off. But you could remove it manually when sharing if you don't want folks to see the location.

2021-3-12
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

Sounds like the Air 2 does give proper metadata for images.
Post an example of one of your images.
It might have some clues to solve your issue.
2021-3-12
Use props
GaryDoug
Captain
Flight distance : 1122201 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine show the GPS numbers in Windows 10:
MA2 jpg properties shown in Window 10.png
2021-3-12
Use props
major drone
lvl.1
United States

I am using Windows 10 64-bit version. The File Explorer properties window shows no "section" for GPS. I also viewed the JPG file in GIMP and the Exif viewer shows GPS data as all zeroes. Here is screen capture of both File Explorer and GIMP with arrows/text descriptions. How I get the images off the Mavic Air 2 is using remote controller and using the share button then saving directly to my Google Drive (this one) or previous times I used Gmail. How do you transfer the JPGs off the drone? Maybe that has something to do with GPS metadata being retained.

2021-3-14
Use props
major drone
lvl.1
United States

I got GPS metadata on the JPG file by connecting the Mavic Air 2 directly to my PC via USB-C to USB cable. When I did, I saw two drives connected to my PC which are the internal memory (8 GB) and my external microSD card. While using File Explorer when JPG files are on drone the File Explorer > Properties > GPS data is there.

I copied the JPGs from drone using USB cable to my PC and GPS metadata is still present. I uploaded JPG files from my PC to Google Drive, then downloaded them to my PC, and GPS metadata is still there.

So sharing directly via DJI app via using either Gmail or Google Drive (free version) somehow stripped off the GPS Exif metadata.

Hopefully, this post saves someone else some time. Safe flights!
2021-3-14
Use props
MySky
Captain
Flight distance : 206752 ft
Germany

All pics, i copied directly from my SD card either to my Win10 PC or to my Android tablet, do have the GPS data in the meta data.
2021-3-14
Use props
RobZilla
First Officer
Flight distance : 228550 ft
United States

major drone Posted at 3-14 12:34
I got GPS metadata on the JPG file by connecting the Mavic Air 2 directly to my PC via USB-C to USB cable. When I did, I saw two drives connected to my PC which are the internal memory (8 GB) and my external microSD card. While using File Explorer when JPG files are on drone the File Explorer > Properties > GPS data is there.

I copied the JPGs from drone using USB cable to my PC and GPS metadata is still present. I uploaded JPG files from my PC to Google Drive, then downloaded them to my PC, and GPS metadata is still there.

Glad to hear you are able to get your photos with GPS data now by connecting the drone to your computer. Also possible by just removing microSD card and inserting it into a computer.

But I think you found a bug...sounds like it should NOT remove the GPS info or any other info when sharing via the DJI Fly app. Maybe one of the DJI mods can pass on this info.

Best
2021-3-14
Use props
3Recon
First Officer
Flight distance : 4110404 ft
United States

One of the tips I got on sharing from my Galaxy s21 Ultra  gallery was to disable or enable location(GPS) of picture /file that is attached. Not such what you flying with but thought I'd mention incase you may have disabled. Thought it was worth a mention.
2021-3-14
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

3Recon Posted at 3-14 14:21
One of the tips I got on sharing from my Galaxy s21 Ultra  gallery was to disable or enable location(GPS) of picture /file that is attached. Not such what you flying with but thought I'd mention incase you may have disabled. Thought it was worth a mention.

You can do that on a Samsung phone, but DJI drones don't have anything like that.
2021-3-14
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

major drone Posted at 3-14 12:34

So sharing directly via DJI app via using either Gmail or Google Drive (free version) somehow stripped off the GPS Exif metadata.

Are you sure you are looking at the same image files?
Do the files with and without location data have the same file names?
The image file you posted details for has an odd filename: Photo_6563618_DJI_18.jpg
But the image GaryDoug showed earlier had a conventional DJI image file name: DJI0003.jpg.

2021-3-14
Use props
pagi_pl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1188533 ft
Poland

Hello
Do you know how I can measure the distance from point A to point B on the picture?
Is there a program for this?
2021-3-15
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Australia

pagi_pl Posted at 3-15 00:19
Hello
Do you know how I can measure the distance from point A to point B on the picture?

That's not possible with a single picture.
2021-3-15
Use props
djiuser_GAS9OHt1bgM2
lvl.2

United States

pagi_pl Posted at 2021-3-15 00:19
Hello
Do you know how I can measure the distance from point A to point B on the picture?

Use Google Earth Pro
1-22 22:57
Use props
AvroTrain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511348 ft
United States

I've owned the A2 and now A2S but have not seen toggle for this option.
1-23 06:35
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules