Motor unable to rotate - no obvious reason?
15966 18 2021-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Fqv7oiFmoTkm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 764797 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all - first-time poster, so please be gentle :-)

I'm just over a week in to my Mini 2 adventure. It's been great so far - no crashes or bumps, but...

While doing a little bit of gentle low-level flying around the garden, I've just suddenly got a 'Motor unable to rotate' message and the Mini immediately descended. Thankfully it was a gentle landing - it was only a metre or so above the ground, but I'm glad I wasn't any higher..!

Anyway, I've checked and all the motors look clean, and seem to spin freely. I fired it up again and all seems good, but my confidence is knocked a little.

Is there anything else I should do / check?

Thanks in advance.
2021-3-13
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

Sometimes all it takes is a bit of dirt or even a hair to get these warnings ...Hopefully that’s all it was
2021-3-13
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
United Kingdom

RenegadeCowboyAZ Posted at 3-13 12:22
Sometimes all it takes is a bit of dirt or even a hair to get these warnings ...Hopefully that’s all it was

Here's hoping - thank you.
2021-3-13
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

What was the ambient temperature during that flight?
2021-3-13
Use props
RenegadeCowboyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3600774 ft
United States

wateroftyne Posted at 3-13 12:54
Here's hoping - thank you.

Very welcome friend
2021-3-13
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 3-13 15:17
What was the ambient temperature during that flight?

Cold, but not excessively so. I'd say around 5°C / 40°F?
2021-3-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_Fqv7oiFmoTkm. Thanks for reaching out! We suggest inspecting the motors if there's anything like dirt or grass since you're flying in your garden that could be possibly blocking it or disrupt the movement of the motors. If you ever encountered a similar warning, it is suggested to immediately land your aircraft and inspect your aircraft before flying again.
2021-3-14
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

wateroftyne Posted at 3-14 01:37
Cold, but not excessively so. I'd say around 5°C / 40°F?

I've seen a few cases where this error appears, drone looses altitude or just flips and crashes if you are flying in low temp. I don't know if the reason is ice forming inside the motors, as some suggest, or some other issue.
2021-3-15
Use props
wateroftyne
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks again, all. Quick update - I've flown it quite a lot since, and had no issues. Guessing / hoping it was just a blip.
2021-3-18
Use props
djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

Maybe engine covers aren't such a bad idea?
2021-3-18
Use props
djiuser_gYFOdshV1scY
New
Australia

Same issue. Fresh out of box and one of the motors seems jammed as it doesn't spin freely like the others. Frustrating but I guess I take back to where I purchase
2021-4-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

djiuser_nO2RdSW5BSUg Posted at 3-18 00:53
Maybe engine covers aren't such a bad idea?

Not a good idea at all, the motors need to get a good supply of cool air, covers just block air flow. Another useless solution in search of a problem.
2021-4-4
Use props
djiuser_PAmf7vYHiKG1
New
Kenya

djiuser_gYFOdshV1scY Posted at 2021-4-4 18:54
Same issue. Fresh out of box and one of the motors seems jammed as it doesn't spin freely like the others. Frustrating but I guess I take back to where I purchase
I have the same problem. But the service centre says I crashed the drone but i have flight records all zero. Did you get help? If so, how?
2022-2-23
Use props
djiuser_e0zyUGFkOeTW
New
United States

I just tried to fly mine for the first time today after buying it late last year, and the front right motor throws the same message, and that motor is much tighter than the others and doesn't spin free..I haven't reached out to DJI yet..anything I should check first? There's no debris, I've already checked for stuff in the motor itself
2022-3-17
Use props
fans8e1d0fe3
New

Australia

djiuser_e0zyUGFkOeTW Posted at 3-17 15:32
I just tried to fly mine for the first time today after buying it late last year, and the front right motor throws the same message, and that motor is much tighter than the others and doesn't spin free..I haven't reached out to DJI yet..anything I should check first? There's no debris, I've already checked for stuff in the motor itself

Hlo did you get it fix yet
2022-7-7
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13897156 ft
Canada

I have had this problem with my mini 2 before as well.  The motor would turn but very stiff.  The drone would report a motor error when I tried to start up.  In my case, one of the tiny magnets inside the motor had come loose.  It would move a bit but the magnets are strong enough to prevent easy removal.  Ihad to get some tweezers tightly on it.  After this, the drone flies fine (even with one less magnet in one motor).
2022-7-7
Use props
djiuser_iGGjGm5ib1Nk
New

United States

djiuser_gYFOdshV1scY Posted at 2021-4-4 18:54

Literally what happened to me today. Were you able to return just fine?
2022-12-4
Use props
djiuser_iGGjGm5ib1Nk
New

United States

fansb4f50ec1 Posted at 7-7 05:03
I have had this problem with my mini 2 before as well.  The motor would turn but very stiff.  The drone would report a motor error when I tried to start up.  In my case, one of the tiny magnets inside the motor had come loose.  It would move a bit but the magnets are strong enough to prevent easy removal.  Ihad to get some tweezers tightly on it.  After this, the drone flies fine (even with one less magnet in one motor).

I have no idea how to do this but it matches my exact problem
2022-12-4
Use props
fansb4f50ec1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13897156 ft
Canada

If it is a dislodged magnet, then you should be able to find it.  You may need a magnifying glass and tweezers though!  Within each motor there are a series of copper colored coils.  These are fixed to the arms and do not turn with the propellers.  There are also very very small magnets along the inner side of the circular silver ring that holds the propellers.  These magnets are glued to the ring, and so move as the propellers do.  If one comes loose, it doesn't just get lost... it gets stuck in the motor somewhere since it's magnetic.  Look to see if one is loose or out of position.  I've marked three of the magnets in the attached.  
2022-12-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules