4254 13 2021-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnzlt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3619131 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Just bought a DJI FPV drone and I need to register it based on the latest Europe legislation. In order to proceed with the registration I need the following specs from the drone that I couldn't locate anywhere:
  • MTOM (Maximum Take-off Mass) (Kg)
  • Impact Kinetic Energy (J)
  • Wingspan (m)

Does anyone know where can I get that information?

Thanks!

UPDATE: The Spanish Aviation Safety and Security Agency (AESA) just released their own specs for DJI FPV based on the new EU legislation:
  • Impact Kinetic Energy: 108,71 J
  • Wingspan: 0,245 m
2021-3-14
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

I am not sure about it but I think you can do the math and measurement yourself:
Max TOM should be 0,8 kg
Impact Kinetic Energy you can calculate yourself using this formula: K= 1/2mv2. The wingspan you can measure with a ruler or a tape measure.
2021-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tomekyo Posted at 3-14 00:24
I am not sure about it but I think you can do the math and measurement yourself:
Max TOM should be 0,8 kg
Impact Kinetic Energy you can calculate yourself using this formula: K= 1/2mv2. The wingspan you can measure with a ruler or a tape measure.

Except the MTOM is going to be much higher than 0.8kg and it weighs 795grams and is going to be able to take off with quite a bit more weight than that.
2021-3-14
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 3-14 02:07
Except the MTOM is going to be much higher than 0.8kg and it weighs 795grams and is going to be able to take off with quite a bit more weight than that.

either you or I don't understand what Maximum Take Off Mass is. To my knowledge it is the mass of the aircraft and the battery ready to go, as intended by DJI. and it is approximately 0.8 kg.
2021-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tomekyo Posted at 3-14 02:17
either you or I don't understand what Maximum Take Off Mass is. To my knowledge it is the mass of the aircraft and the battery ready to go, as intended by DJI. and it is approximately 0.8 kg.

Nope that’s it’s weight.  
2021-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tomekyo Posted at 3-14 02:17

There’s a long discussion about weight vs mass vs Max takeoff mass here - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... les-uk.87244/page-2
2021-3-14
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-14 02:39
Nope that’s it’s weight.

Max take off weight is the published mass of the aircraft with all its approved accessories. This is published in the manual at 800grams.

As the aircraft is not intended to have additional payload then its MTOW is 800grams.
2021-3-14
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-14 02:39
Nope that’s it’s weight.

Effectively, on earth, it's the same thing!

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Mass is usually measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg). ... An object's mass is constant in all circumstances; contrast this with its weight, a force that depends on gravity. Your mass on the earth and the moon are identical.
As we are always on earth the gravity is constant.
2021-3-14
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 3-14 02:48
There’s a long discussion about weight vs mass vs Max takeoff mass here - https://mavicpilots.com/threads/mavic-mini-and-the-new-drone-rules-uk.87244/page-2

It is not a matter of discussion ... I am trying to present the facts and the fact is the the take off mass equals the weight of the craft ready to take off in kilograms. (Unless you fill the dron ein with helium, which would be stupid) So please go and run this discussion with others in that other topic and don't confuse people over here with a debate which has nothing to do with facts concerning drone registration in this case.. Is the Earth also flat ...?
2021-3-14
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Use the published specs in your calculations and you will be fine.
The max speed will vary dependent  on conditions so don’t get caught up in that one, published/documented by DJI is what to focus on.  
605 joules should work for you.

To put that in perspective that's more energy than a 124gr. 9mm round, so be careful out there kids.
2021-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buzzyone Posted at 3-14 02:55
Max take off weight is the published mass of the aircraft with all its approved accessories. This is published in the manual at 800grams.

As the aircraft is not intended to have additional payload then its MTOW is 800grams.

Well so some maths,   prop guards and brace arms both sold by DJI are over 800grams when you add that up.
2021-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tomekyo Posted at 3-14 03:16
It is not a matter of discussion ... I am trying to present the facts and the fact is the the take off mass equals the weight of the craft ready to take off in kilograms. (Unless you fill the dron ein with helium, which would be stupid) So please go and run this discussion with others in that other topic and don't confuse people over here with a debate which has nothing to do with facts concerning drone registration in this case.. Is the Earth also flat ...?

Feel free to head over to that thread and correct them too then.
2021-3-14
Use props
Lisa3 AKA Karen
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 3-14 07:46
Well so some maths,   prop guards and brace arms both sold by DJI are over 800grams when you add that up.

What you say is correct but it’s a grey area, only because DJI does not publish the MTOM.
Other manufactures will publish the max weight, Autel for one.

This is the reason they do not include the prop guards in the M2 fly more kit.
It would take it over the published 249g.

Manufactures can not control what you put on your drone so you can exceed the MTOM, it would make it so much easier if DJI published. Due to this I would use the as shipped weight as a guide (if you purchase and add a non included accessory it’s on you).

The MTOM is similar to the GVW of a motor vehicle but if not published your guess is as good as any as to what the actual max should be.

2021-3-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lisa3 AKA Karen Posted at 3-14 10:18
What you say is correct but it’s a grey area, only because DJI does not publish the MTOM.
Other manufactures will publish the max weight, Autel for one.

Oddly they do publish it for the inspire.  But even then it’s more like a certified mtom not the technical mtom. Under EASA rules they are supposed to publish it as part of the classification but as this isn’t classified I agree. I’d tell them the weight.  

Incidentally as the EASA rules change from weight to mtom for a classified mini 2 I got the mini 2 last week so that I can fly the more liberal legacy class with it.
2021-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules