Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SERIOUS Problems with RS2 and Canon C70
12Next >
14939 59 2021-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
Flight distance : 733829 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
Can DJI please do some testing with the Canon C70 and the RS2

Lots of posts are popping up in the forums about inexplicable camera freezing while working with the RS2 and the C70 (with and without RavenEye).

The only remedy is to turn off the camera, take out the battery (as turning off doens't do anything). Obviously this could damage the camera long term so we need a fix pretty quickly.

I upgraded to the RS2 purely because my other gimbal wasn't sturdy enough for the C70. Now I'm constantly worried about having to deal with these problems while at work.

PLEASE post your similar experiences here. We need momentum.

2021-3-14
Use props
Jules87
New

Netherlands

Same here. Yesterday in one hour time the C70 froze at least 6 times on me. It's really bad. Without the camera control cable everything is working fine though. But DJI needs to look at this!
2021-3-14
Use props
Benjii
lvl.1

France

exactly the same on a eos r5 ... very bad .
2021-3-19
Use props
Benjii
lvl.1

France

Jules87 Posted at 3-14 09:53
Same here. Yesterday in one hour time the C70 froze at least 6 times on me. It's really bad. Without the camera control cable everything is working fine though. But DJI needs to look at this!

How did you use without the cable ?
2021-3-19
Use props
mrtreve
New

United Kingdom

I've just received my RS2 Pro Combo and it seems stable with my C70. The RavenEye and camera control work fine for me so far.

I've only tested start/stop on the camera control as I've only been using manual lenses.

Overall I'm quite impressed with the RS2, but have some feedback with this combination:

- The camera cannot add a lut on the HDMI output and I find that banding is introduced when adding a lut in the app (this is more of a C70 issue and I hope they enable lut output in firmware).
- The focus motor is too short to reach a compact lens due the the height of the camera. The height adjustability of the Ronin S focus motor was much better.
- The 12mm rod is difficult to work with. I wanted to rig a rod to my camera top plate to overcome the above issue, however there are not any commercially available 12mm rod clamps. I can't even find a reduction insert to go from 15mm > 12mm.

I'm sure there will be aftermarket solutions in time, but I would suggest incorporating taller cameras into the the future development of this line. The gimbal has no issues with the payload, so it would be great if the motor could reach the lens without having to buy and test out extra parts.
2021-4-14
Use props
GordonS27
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Having the same issues. I know they were looking at a custom cable but the cable connection seems fine, surely a firmware update?

2021-4-14
Use props
GordonS27
lvl.3
United Kingdom

mrtreve Posted at 4-14 04:47
I've just received my RS2 Pro Combo and it seems stable with my C70. The RavenEye and camera control work fine for me so far.

I've only tested start/stop on the camera control as I've only been using manual lenses.

For the focus Moto issue, I was having the same problem but worked around it by mounting the focus motor rig onto the camera riser rather than the quick release plate. it did mean the support for the smooth motion was too short to reach the lens though
2021-4-14
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Pretty common practice with DJI, to ignore us once we have parted with our cash.

It's amazing they'd behave this way. The C70 is a very popular video camera, the RS2 is a very popular gimbal, arguable the best that DJI have made.

But they don't care that the two don't fully work together.

I guess the software engineers are too busy watching their stock options rise to bother with customers.
2021-4-14
Use props
the_whip
New

United Kingdom

I was just about to buy an RS2, but online said it's not supported. Glad I checked first.

Judging from the comments here, I'll look for an alternative.
2021-4-22
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

the_whip Posted at 4-22 08:30
I was just about to buy an RS2, but online said it's not supported. Glad I checked first.

Judging from the comments here, I'll look for an alternative.

this is exactly the fall out DJI fails to grasp. I have no idea why they aren't all over this fix for the C70. It's such a popular camera now. But it seems they don't even monitor the howls of despair in these forums.

Hey ho...
2021-4-23
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

GordonS27 Posted at 4-14 08:29
Having the same issues. I know they were looking at a custom cable but the cable connection seems fine, surely a firmware update?

I so wish DJI paid a little attention to these forums (and their customers), seems like a very narrow mindset, "just get the money in, who cares about functionality."  it's come back and bite them eventually.
2021-4-23
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

mrtreve Posted at 4-14 04:47

I've only tested start/stop on the camera control as I've only been using manual lenses.

How are you doing with your C70/RS2, have they been ok still?  Maybe I should try again?
2021-4-23
Use props
GordonS27
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Gooseman 2old Posted at 4-23 00:20
I so wish DJI paid a little attention to these forums (and their customers), seems like a very narrow mindset, "just get the money in, who cares about functionality."  it's come back and bite them eventually.

It's causing me to hold off on ordering the tethered handle, it's a lot of money to spend when the record button and other functions will be useless.
2021-4-27
Use props
THS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43783 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the focus motor issue, try this...
SMALLRIG Focus Motor Rod Mount Component Only for DJI RS 2 / RS2 Gimbal Plate 3031-2851  
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PFR8X9X/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_3FX8GZHWAEGXANJ3WCKW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I found that NOT triggering record with the DJI RS2 app helps... use the record button on the RS2 handle. If the C70 freezes, close the RS2 app completely and restart the C70.
2021-4-29
Use props
fans96ca1db0
New

South Africa

Same issues, camera and RS2 connection it’s intermittent and causes camera to freeze, unfortunately this makes this combo unusable in many situations. Would love a fix please!
2021-5-31
Use props
THS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

July 8 2021 update… The C70 on the RS2 was triggering record just fine until I updated the firmware on both the C70 and the RS2 a few days ago. Now the camera freezes almost every time I trigger record from the gimbal. ughhhh!!!
DJI… FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!! WTF???
2021-7-8
Use props
jacobkelso
lvl.1

United States

Had the exact same problem after firmware updating both the C70 and RS 2.  Please please please let's get a fix for this soon.  I suspect it's on the RS 2's end because I also recently firmware updated my B-camera which is a Canon R6 and that one is working just fine with the gimbal.
2021-7-10
Use props
jacobkelso
lvl.1

United States

THS Posted at 7-8 06:50
July 8 2021 update… The C70 on the RS2 was triggering record just fine until I updated the firmware on both the C70 and the RS2 a few days ago. Now the camera freezes almost every time I trigger record from the gimbal. ughhhh!!!
DJI… FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!! WTF???

Good news!  I found a fix for the problem.  What you need to do is to downgrade the RS 2 to the previous firmware and it will go back to working again.  Connect the gimbal to the Ronin app, click on the icon in the upper left corner, click the firmware version, press and hold for 5 seconds, choose the previous version of the firmware and wait for it to downgrade.
2021-7-12
Use props
fanse2b1cf13
lvl.1
Flight distance : 60492 ft
  • >>>
United States

jacobkelso@sbcglobal.net Posted at 7-12 02:20
Good news!  I found a fix for the problem.  What you need to do is to downgrade the RS 2 to the previous firmware and it will go back to working again.  Connect the gimbal to the Ronin app, click on the icon in the upper left corner, click the firmware version, press and hold for 5 seconds, choose the previous version of the firmware and wait for it to downgrade.

Great tip, thanks. The downgrade fixed the issue here.
2021-7-16
Use props
THS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Jacob!!  That worked for me as well.
Seems completely ridiculous, but maybe DJI will take notice and get off their asses about this issue!!!  
HELLO DJI???
2021-7-19
Use props
GordonS27
lvl.3
United Kingdom

THS Posted at 7-19 13:20
Thanks Jacob!!  That worked for me as well.
Seems completely ridiculous, but maybe DJI will take notice and get off their asses about this issue!!!  
HELLO DJI???

Can you tell me which firmware version you are using for the rs2 and how you're connecting it? I had it freeze on previous firmware updates but I'll try updating the c70's as well.
2021-7-20
Use props
GordonS27
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Update, I went back to the 01.02.00.10 firmware on the rs2 and updated the c70 to the latest firmware. It records fine through the rs2 but if you half press the record button to try to focus, it freezes the camera. Do you guys get the same issue?

2021-7-20
Use props
forza_andy
lvl.1
United States

I'm not sure what's going on with my RS2. I was having this same issue of it crashing my C70 when using the USB cable and pressing record.
So, I downgraded to firmware 1.4 and now the gimbal can't auto tune anymore. It will shake violently when it's on a table. But when I hold it/use it, it's fine.
Also, I can't return to firmware 1.4.5, I can only choose from the "downgrade" options (by holding down on the firmware text in the phone app).
And I've now tried 1.4 and also 1.3 and both are still causing the crashing issue. Not sure what firmware I was on before as that worked fine (usb focus/record worked fine).
So irritating. I have a week before my next gimbal job but need to get this figured out somehow. Will get in contact with DJI via twitter/phone too but would appreciate any info out there!
2021-7-24
Use props
GordonS27
lvl.3
United Kingdom

forza_andy Posted at 7-24 13:58
I'm not sure what's going on with my RS2. I was having this same issue of it crashing my C70 when using the USB cable and pressing record.
So, I downgraded to firmware 1.4 and now the gimbal can't auto tune anymore. It will shake violently when it's on a table. But when I hold it/use it, it's fine.
Also, I can't return to firmware 1.4.5, I can only choose from the "downgrade" options (by holding down on the firmware text in the phone app).

I think it still upgrades it if you choose a newer firmware update, it's just poorly worded on the app. It'll just install whichever one you select, don't know which one works best for the autofocus/record though, what autofocus setting did you have on the camera when it worked? Continuous/one shot?
2021-7-29
Use props
fansf0db73aa
lvl.1
Canada

DJI, do we have any updates on when (or even if) the Canon C70 will be fully supported? It is definitely one of the more popular current camera models and will only get more users in the coming year.
2021-8-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

fansf0db73aa Posted at 8-2 07:25
DJI, do we have any updates on when (or even if) the Canon C70 will be fully supported? It is definitely one of the more popular current camera models and will only get more users in the coming year.

Hi there, your voice will be noted by our design team. Please stay tuned to our DJI official website for future updates. Thank you for your great support.
2021-8-4
Use props
OneSlip
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213543 ft
Australia

How much time to fix a rec button? The latest updates include all Sony toy cameras but the pro is still left behind. I guess there is a greater market of Sony shooters. Focus on iPhone support next.
2021-8-9
Use props
JONDRIVEBACK
lvl.1

United States

I gave up trying to get things to work. Would be really great to hear an update from DJI
2021-8-22
Use props
Indio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=248176
2021-8-22
Use props
THS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Before I install and test this FW update (at the risk of it not working, and having to go back to earlier FW)... DOES IT SOLVE THE "FREEZING" ISSUE ON CANON C70 CAMERAS???
2021-8-23
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

THS Posted at 8-23 10:36
Before I install and test this FW update (at the risk of it not working, and having to go back to earlier FW)... DOES IT SOLVE THE "FREEZING" ISSUE ON CANON C70 CAMERAS???

Good Question. It's hard to tell if it was DJI's motive to fix this problem, but not tell us, or anyone about it, but my suspicion is that they continue to ignore us, letting the money roll in on new users, and forgetting us (still).
2021-8-23
Use props
THS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Sooo annoying!
Again DJI... DOES THIS LATEST RS2 FW UPDATE SOLVE THE "FREEZING" ISSUE ON CANON C70 CAMERAS?????????????????
2021-8-25
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

THS Posted at 8-25 15:01
Sooo annoying!
Again DJI... DOES THIS LATEST RS2 FW UPDATE SOLVE THE "FREEZING" ISSUE ON CANON C70 CAMERAS?????????????????

I'm afraid you're yelling into a deep, dark abyss of neglect. Everything we say here, all our pleading and remonstration falls on deaf ears.
2021-8-26
Use props
djiuser_2N6M5z17ai84
lvl.1

Germany

I cannot say for sure, because i bought the rs2 two days ago and updated the firmware asap, but my canon c70 is functioning just fine with it. Record button and focus wheel all working.
2021-8-26
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

That could be a new cable they decided to introduce without telling us.
2021-8-27
Use props
THS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

It works, as long as you don't start and stop recording too quickly... give each button press a moment before hitting it again.  Still---DJI BS!!!!!
2021-9-15
Use props
THS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

CHECK THAT... THE LATEST FW UPDATE (v01.04.00.20 AS OF 9/20/2021) STILL CAUSES THE C70 (WITH IT'S LATEST FW) TO FREEZE!!!!!!!  
UGHHHHHHHHH DJI!!!!!!
2021-9-20
Use props
aeronium
lvl.1

Singapore

Any updates DJI?
2021-11-9
Use props
THS
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

TOTALLY DEAF EARS... F-ING A-HOLES!!!
JUST FIX THIS, DAMN IT!!!
2021-12-21
Use props
swild
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141932 ft
United States

Hey DJI, would you mind giving us an update on having the C70 work properly with the RS2?
I noticed you've already updated the firmware to work with the A74, why can't you do the same with the C70?
The C70 is one of Canon's most popular cameras and they are even about to add RAW Lite support for it.
Please let us know what plans you have for us RS2 owners, it would be much appreciated.
2022-2-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules