STOP/START mid air cut out!
14437 71 2021-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Plasmo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17907 ft
United States

Agree that it is pretty rare need to cut the motor during mid manual flight.... Hopefully DJI will make it more difficult to accidentally to allow this to occur in future update
2021-4-25
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

Plasmo Posted at 4-25 09:40
Agree that it is pretty rare need to cut the motor during mid manual flight.... Hopefully DJI will make it more difficult to accidentally to allow this to occur in future update

"it is pretty rare need to cut the motor during mid manual flight"

It might be rare but when the need arises the process needs to be very fast. I believe most experienced FPV pilots agree there's a need to be able to quickly stop the motors.

I think a dedicated switch would be a better solution but having a way to quickly stop the motors is very important.

One of the problems with the current system is using the pause button takes the drone out of manual mode. The stop motor feature only works in manual mode. If someone panics and hits the pause button before double tapping the stop button, the motors wont stop.

Another issue is the stop motors feature doesn't work consistently for everyone.

2021-4-25
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, it's good I never got to experiment as I would've lost the drone already.  I've never once bothered to button mash everything while in Manual as I was concentrating on flying it properly.  If I wasn't so timid, definitely would've found out the hard way.  I still have never tried the automatic leveling failsafe other than switching from manual to sport or nomal.

That is crazy that it is set by default and not in the Manual mode settings that tell you CAUTION: If you press START/STOP twice it will turn off the motors.

Can you imagine how many people around the world that this happened to that never made the forums?

Does anyone know if this still occurs?  I've always had auto record on take-off so never had to press the record buttons before doing tricks.  Now I've disabled it as I don't really care about filming my flights unless I find something important to capture.  This prob would've happened to me if I didn't see this post!
2021-4-25
Use props
Mhondokhay
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411424 ft
Singapore

its quite dangerous if the pilot accidently double tap  the stop/start button while flying especially when flying near people, if it drops, someone might really get hurt because of this mistake. for the meantime I take off in Normal mode LOS style then once I reach the altitude I want then that's the time I wear my goggle and switch to Manual/ Acro mode, same thing when landing I switch back to normal mode then Land it LOS style. this is to avoid me getting used of the Start/Stop button functions. I am also a traditional FPV pilot so its hard to get of use to the DJI FPV Drone.
For those pilot not planning to fly really far say less than 1km you may want to not to unfold your controller antenna as it still works perfectly, this will serve as your button safety guard to avoid accidentally pressing the stop motor button. in case of emergency then you will just need to unfold the controller antenna and press the start/stop button. using this method you will have to switch back to NORMAL mode when taking off and landing LOS style.
2021-5-8
Use props
djiuser_OT6HVLEsU65P
New
United States

tomekyo Posted at 3-15 09:23
I am pretty sure there is an option to disable it in the menu and I can imagine many scenarios when you'd want your motors to be switched off.

On my second mini2 flight, I brushed a tree branch, causing the propellers to shut down. The drone crashed breaking one of the front arms and camera gimble. The propellers were not damaged and showed no sign of contact. Could I have turned off the emergency shut down and avoided all the damage from the fall?
2021-7-4
Use props
djiuser_OT6HVLEsU65P
New
United States

tomekyo Posted at 3-15 09:23
I am pretty sure there is an option to disable it in the menu and I can imagine many scenarios when you'd want your motors to be switched off.

Can I completely turn off the emergency propeller shut down on a dji mini 2
2021-7-4
Use props
djiuser_OT6HVLEsU65P
New
United States

djiuser_OT6HVLEsU65P Posted at 7-4 14:59
Can I completely turn off the emergency propeller shut down on a dji mini 2

Would'nt it be better to send an emergengy allert to the pilot, rather than shutting down the propellers in a mid air contact.
2021-7-4
Use props
Max90payneFPV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2832844 ft
Italy

Hello !!

Unfortunately you can see that many have never experienced FPV flight with the classic freestyle builds !!

The ability to turn off the engines and make the drone fall instantly is of fundamental importance for a variety of reasons ... the first is safety ...

If a drone becomes uncontrollable the first thing to do (even if bad) is to turn off the engines if its fall can avoid worse consequences ...

Of course, the way in which the double click is activated is questionable but it cannot be disabled.

It must also be understood that FPV flying takes years of flying experience and in any case you are never good enough ....

Too many have taken this drone in their hands too lightly .... thinking they are after two lipoos Mr. Steele ...
2021-7-5
Use props
fansf484ef48
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2907 ft
Sweden

There is a fundamental problem with this solution.
The drone is aimed att people that are used to fly Mavic and other dji products that use the stick in to disarm.
Having that solution on this drone in the N and S mode and than changing it to at totally different in the acro mode creates a horrible solution.

Not only are most pilots not used to flying in this uncontrollable manner DJI put a new input to kill the engines on a button that could have been something totally different on a Mavic.
Once you panic and the button doesn't respond as the pause button you'll probably press it again just to notice that you've just disarmed the engines.
Yes I know it's the wrong button however dji tought you that one button stops it in all situations it works in N/S/M mode they just moved the disarm to the opposite side in M-mode.
Now, the stick in doesn't work in M because your supposed to be able to fly like that if you want to. So why not teach the pilot the double tap straight away?
2021-7-20
Use props
Romonaga
lvl.2
Flight distance : 789124 ft
United States

I understand the importance of having a kill switch, however it should be a switch and not share purpose with any other feature or function.  IT should not be a matter of don't fly if you can not afford to repair.  How about the manufacture do something to make it a bit harder for this accident to happen.  Far to easy for this to happen, and when you add in you can not really look at the controller while flying.
2021-7-21
Use props
SaltyflyFPV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150889 ft
United States

Break then change setting!
2021-7-21
Use props
coyotejuice
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8235935 ft
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 4-22 01:56
I'm OK as my double tap doesn't seem to work at all.....

Mine doesnt either.
2021-7-25
Use props
coyotejuice
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8235935 ft
United States

Mhondokhay Posted at 5-8 14:04
its quite dangerous if the pilot accidently double tap  the stop/start button while flying especially when flying near people, if it drops, someone might really get hurt because of this mistake. for the meantime I take off in Normal mode LOS style then once I reach the altitude I want then that's the time I wear my goggle and switch to Manual/ Acro mode, same thing when landing I switch back to normal mode then Land it LOS style. this is to avoid me getting used of the Start/Stop button functions. I am also a traditional FPV pilot so its hard to get of use to the DJI FPV Drone.
For those pilot not planning to fly really far say less than 1km you may want to not to unfold your controller antenna as it still works perfectly, this will serve as your button safety guard to avoid accidentally pressing the stop motor button. in case of emergency then you will just need to unfold the controller antenna and press the start/stop button. using this method you will have to switch back to NORMAL mode when taking off and landing LOS style.

But can you imagine the drone falling into a crowd with motors wide open.  I had a motor go out midflight it gave a millisecond warning in the goggles something about propulsion system failure and plumeted to the ground with 3 arms a spinning.  The thing danced around when it hit the ground until it finished breaking off the last arm.   I dislike the location also but what do you do If they do a firmware update that changes it.  How many people that know that this could help in an emergency that don't read the firmware update notes.  Maybe a hundredth of a percent have any idea what they are actually updating.  Now take that feature away and who is liable. Because it says in the manual that came with the drone and would be very hard to change after the fact.  Just my worn out 2 cents good luck.
2021-7-25
Use props
fans1c3d0833
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1092070 ft
United States

Accidentally activating the cut off is indeed very unfortunate. On the other hand, I've crashed a few times, and in those where I needed to cut off motor, I felt the double-click was too difficult to execute under stress and in a hurry. So I would not want the cut off become any more complicated than double-click.

That being said, I think cut off with double-click requiring low throttle input (e.g. <20%) would be a good safe guard to prevent the OP's unfortunate incident ever occurring again, while not necessarily increasing the difficulty of activating it when it's needed.
2021-7-25
Use props
sdevulder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 661801 ft
France

fans1c3d0833 Posted at 7-25 20:18
Accidentally activating the cut off is indeed very unfortunate. On the other hand, I've crashed a few times, and in those where I needed to cut off motor, I felt the double-click was too difficult to execute under stress and in a hurry. So I would not want the cut off become any more complicated than double-click.

That being said, I think cut off with double-click requiring low throttle input (e.g.

I totally agree
2021-8-7
Use props
MoppelMat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139167 ft
Austria

fans1c3d0833 Posted at 7-25 20:18
Accidentally activating the cut off is indeed very unfortunate. On the other hand, I've crashed a few times, and in those where I needed to cut off motor, I felt the double-click was too difficult to execute under stress and in a hurry. So I would not want the cut off become any more complicated than double-click.

That being said, I think cut off with double-click requiring low throttle input (e.g.

so just use the new disarm switch method!? I requested it, I got it and it works like a charm!
2021-8-8
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Avronaut Posted at 4-22 01:19
As soon as you have a little more experience with real FPV, you will understand that it makes sense to be able to switch off the motors quickly and safely at any time. If the drone flies into a tree, for example, you certainly don't want it to mill its way down to the ground. It is part of the training to be able to operate the remote controller purposefully and blindly. If you don't know how to do this, you should continue to train on the sim. The racer in manual mode should be safely mastered so that nobody is endangered.

yeah.. just put it at the most touched spot w/ no disclaimer warning to not press it twice unless in an emergency before being able to use the drone everytime

Does the drone still shut off after pressing it twice fast?
2021-8-8
Use props
ksnyomi
Flight distance : 815459 ft
São Tomé and Príncipe

For one thing, I think the new (arm/disarm) switch switch is a welcome addition to the settings. Also any many have already stated, it makes sense to have an instant kill switch regardless of the altitude. It maybe the only thing standing between your drone and say, a person's face.
2021-8-22
Use props
pixelicous
lvl.1
Israel

The fact that there is so much chatter on this on an official forum, without an official response just means:
dji: "But wait? how do you plan us to make extra money? We aren't going to fix that, no! f* that, we are going to keep getting drones to crash but show the world like we care of safety and add weird functions to the drone"

pffffttt... i don't have a FPV but a new dji air mavic 2s, hope i wont run into something idiotic as this
however i already have something i hate about this drone, and its the charger, i spent so much money on this drone and combo pack and they provide you with the ...tiest charger which doesn't charge 3 batteries parallel, what THE hell? do i need to go buy knockoff chiense ... that will fry my batteries now? nvm.. ill open a post about this
2021-8-23
Use props
fansbc989063
lvl.2
United States

Can you assign the STOP PROP function to the C1 button? If you do so does it remove that function from the original BAD location? Good place for an EMERGENCY STOP button.
2021-11-6
Use props
BEN D
lvl.1
Flight distance : 886224 ft
Greece

Max90payneFPV Posted at 2021-7-5 06:58
Hello !!

Unfortunately you can see that many have never experienced FPV flight with the classic freestyle builds !!

Well I definitely fall in to that category and I definitely killed one FPV this way but it could have been prevented if the emergency disarm was a 3x press of C1 button. If it were this way this thread would not be here.

In my case I was trying manual mode pretty high up with confidence in the stop button to save my ass but I panicked and double pressed instead of single pressing and had to buy a new drone afterwards

DJI please move the emergency disarm to C1 where it can NOT be accidently pressed
2022-5-5
Use props
Red217
New

Israel

Hi,

how can i TURN ON the engines AFTER a manual STOP ( double tap ) ?
2022-6-22
Use props
cootertwo
Second Officer
United States

How about a RED button, that would kill everything? Emergency STOP. Placed somewhere on the controller where it can't be hit by mistake.
2022-6-22
Use props
Draxel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 402247 ft
  • >>>
Norway

With all the guardrails DJI has placed before you can enter Manual, having to rebind the mode switch, disable the attitude limiter and even modifying the controller - you'd think people would really prepare and familiarize themselves with the inputs before taking it into Manual.
At least for me, with no prior FPV experience, I was being hyper-aware of the PAUSE (into normal mode) button on the left finger, as well as not touching or resting the START STOP on the low right finger.

Of course it feels embarrassing that this happened, but at the end of the day it wasn't because a finger slipped or hardware error - it was simply a misunderstanding by the user.

I think people here have had some really good ideas to make it less likely to occur, like also requiring the left stick to be all the way down in combination - or make the input slightly customizable.
But having the option to completely disable it is a big no no. Then you'd have people who don't want their drone broken and think they'll never make a bad maneuver get themselves into a dangerous situation and be without that kill switch.  
2022-6-23
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

such ashame.  they were flying brill in manual mode
2022-6-23
Use props
Irtaza_1
lvl.1
Sweden

I just my drone just because i tried to record but accidently tapped start/stop motor button !! Its at the bottom of a lake now !!
2022-7-11
Use props
yummy fur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1239488 ft

Singapore

As pointed out you have to make an incorrect input in order for this to happen, however it is a bit of a concern. A simple to implement firmware remedy would be to have the option to change the motor off command from a double tap to a triple tap. That would not make it more difficult to shut down but would make it more difficult to do accidentally.
2022-7-12
Use props
Plasmo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17907 ft
United States

yes, for this reason I trained my brain to never click on any trigger on the right side ever when using the controller in manual... decided to just pull photos from video when needed than to risk this from occuring ugh.
2022-7-12
Use props
Irtaza_1
lvl.1
Sweden

this is a very critical case of usability. Users like myself who have Mavic Air 2 - on which  the Start Recording button is exactly at the same location as of Stop / Start Button on DJI FPV - its very easy to click that button twice and cause a drone to crash !! to be honest, I believe DJI did not think this through properly - thats why people like me, who had two of their drones have suffered !! ... they need to implement a fix for this terrible problem - triple click would be better but I believe they need to change the location of the button and have it somewhere else !!

I couldnt even recover my drone - it sits at the bottom of a very deep lake ! !
2022-7-18
Use props
Iczeman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8336266 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

I had so far two crashes to the field and grass luckily but in both scenarios battery went out from the drone which means no beep, searching, turtle mode etc. In both cases I spend hours to search drone and battery but luckily always found without any damages. Do you have guys any tip to secure battery inside which is working and easy to use to swap batteries? My plan is also to add some Bluetooth tracker like Samsung Smart Tag+ to make searching faster At least very much helpful to have memory card in Goggles to see last moments before crash
2022-7-18
Use props
Fuzz Pantz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 880902 ft
Canada

This just happened to me this afternoon.   

I started taking off and landing in manual mode a few weeks ago.   Old habits took over when I went to adjust the camera with the top right 3 way switch.   I stopped the motors by mistake.    I was quite high over a forest so I was sure I could just turn them on again but they didn't turn on.   And for some reason my goggles didn't record the last 30 seconds
2023-7-21
Use props
djiuser_ZB83YT5s0LfL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3116663 ft
Hungary

Fuzz Pantz Posted at 2023-7-21 20:54
This just happened to me this afternoon.   

I started taking off and landing in manual mode a few weeks ago.   Old habits took over when I went to adjust the camera with the top right 3 way switch.   I stopped the motors by mistake.    I was quite high over a forest so I was sure I could just turn them on again but they didn't turn on.   And for some reason my goggles didn't record the last 30 seconds

Similar happened to me today. Switched off the motors by right switch up some 500m high, and then wanted to turn them on again, but they didn't start. I tried to switch it back, but the motors didn't start. I dont know why, maybe right stick (throttle) must be in the lower, minimum position to switch motor on? If yes, then may good if goggles shows some message about it. Time is spending fast up there and you have only seconds.

My FPV fallen down to a high grass, so luckily the drone was unharmed. I was wondering... I think the lump and big fat grass saved my drone's life.

The goggles didnt record the last 30 seconds. I think it is because if you stop the motors, the recording will automatically stop. And when the motors start again, the record starts too. This is a function in the menu...
4-8 06:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules