Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like a DJI Air 2S is coming.....

https://dronedj.com/2021/03/15/d ... ed-dji-mavic-air-2/

To summarise

What could the upgrade be?

A few options come to mind for the updated version, so let’s go through them. Due to the name being 2S rather than 3, likely, the new drone won’t be much of a generational upgrade, rather a smaller one that tweaks it to make the experience better for pilots.

And goodbye to the Mavic name.

DJI Airsense (ADS-B)

The first one is DJI Airsense, also known as an ADS-B receiver. When the Mavic Air 2 was released, DJI announced that it comes with an ADS-B receiver inside it, allowing the drone pilot to know if there are aircraft flying nearby. Soon after, it became apparent that only the drone’s North American model would ship with this new sensor as COVID created stock shortages, forcing DJI to leave it out of the international model.

It’s possible that DJI now has enough stock to start shipping units with the module inside, and thought it might be better to rebrand it with a new name that also conforms to the company’s minimalistic naming scheme it now uses.

Improved camera

The original Mavic Mini was replaced not long after it was released with the DJI Mini 2. This was reportedly a result of the CEO not being happy with the original Mavic Mini camera. There is a chance that the same has happened, even though the Mavic Air 2 has a great camera that could see it being given more shooting modes or even a new sensor altogether. This is less likely, though.

As I am writing this, well-known leaker OsitaLV posted on Twitter about the possible inclusion of the upcoming DJI AIR 2S, having an IMX686 sensor capable of taking 64 MP photos, 4k at 60 fps videos and is larger coming in at 1/1.7″. This definitely makes the improved camera option a very likely option.

OcuSync 3.0

With the DJI FPV drone launch, the company also announced OcuSync 3.0, an improved version of OcuSync 2.0, mainly focused on improving the latency to make flying a high-speed FPV drone a little easier. There is a chance that DJI wants to equip this new version of the Mavic Air 2 with OcuSync 3.0, but it doesn’t really make sense as you won’t be racing a Mavic around like you would an FPV drone.
2021-3-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

alot of duplicate threads this morning...i'll comment here:

this morning i saw the entry on the "fcc feed" myself and i had no idea what to make of it because i couldn't believe there would be an air2 successor so quickly.  depending on what this really turns out to be, i don't really know what to say about this.
2021-3-15
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Still no classification badging for EU/UK yet based on images/info out so far.  It would be good if this fell into C1 also to find out what if any deal is offered to Air 2 owners to swap out.
2021-3-15
Use props
Raf_IZ0QWM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1640843 ft
Italy

I bought the Mavic Air 2 in December and the SDK came out recently, it is not possible to change it again to have the Ocusync 3.0 and a few other things.
I really hope for an update of what I have.
Selling it now would make me lose at least half the price I paid for it.

By now on the waypoints I have put a stone on them. I hope they give the possibility to use FPV glasses.
2021-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The Saint Posted at 3-15 11:30
alot of duplicate threads this morning...i'll comment here:

Phantom 4 released march 2016, phantom 4 pro released November 2016, the pro was a complete upgrade including djis first 1” sensor camera, so its possible air 2 could come with a big upgrade, but i really hope its M3Pro .
2021-3-15
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

hallmark007 Posted at 3-15 13:05
Phantom 4 released march 2016, phantom 4 pro released November 2016, the pro was a complete upgrade including djis first 1” sensor camera, so its possible air 2 could come with a big upgrade, but i really hope its M3Pro .

Μ3P on the body of A2S with 4/3" and 360 obstacle and only 899 C1 for Europe with 8K 60 that would be awsome
2021-3-15
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

If i have a look at this article https://dronedj.com/guides/dji-air-2s/ and especially at the already last year leaked pic, my impression with the additional sensonsors is,
that it will be another test platform and user acceptance test for the upcomming Mavic 3.
It looks like the DJI release cycles become the same like mobile phone release cycles. Just do a smal portion of adding features and improvements, just to earn more money.
2021-3-15
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

...spending alot of money on drones lately.  
2021-3-15
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 3-15 14:14
...spending alot of money on drones lately.

I hear ya...
2021-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Niknik Posted at 3-15 13:21
Μ3P on the body of A2S with 4/3" and 360 obstacle and only 899 C1 for Europe with 8K 60 that would be awsome

Why not !.....
2021-3-15
Use props
JimDandy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144649 ft
United States

Raf_IZ0QWM Posted at 3-15 12:41
I bought the Mavic Air 2 in December and the SDK came out recently, it is not possible to change it again to have the Ocusync 3.0 and a few other things.
I really hope for an update of what I have.
Selling it now would make me lose at least half the price I paid for it.

you mention that the SDK has been released. So does Dronelink have this added to the list of drones it works with? Or still beta?
2021-3-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I would be really disappointed if it is a Arir2S as I am really looking forward to the launch of a Mavic 3 and waiting for that. I have been looking at the Autel for a while but being a Dji fan opted to wait for the Mavic 3. What is Dji waiting for and holding off the release of what could be their best selling drone on the market that could blow away the competition.
2021-3-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DAFlys. Good day and thank you for sharing these information here at DJI Forum. As of the moment, we do not have any information with DJI's future products and with regards to this matter. Kindly please stay tuned to the latest updates by subscribing to DJI official website at www.dji.com or following us on social media ( Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DJI , Twitter: https://twitter.com/djiglobal , YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/djiinnovations ). Thank you.
2021-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks very interesting!
2021-3-16
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

Just leaving this here:

2021-3-16
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's ugly.
2021-3-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

pretty sure whatever ends up launching whenever will likely be the most beautiful drone on the market at the time; always does.
2021-3-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We'll have to wait and see.   
2021-3-17
Use props
Rick448
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I really hope that there isn't a new model this soon, I only bought the MA2 last week, and I'd hate to see my new hobby becoming something like the iPhone upgrade game, I know I'm not forced to upgrade, and that some will see this as inevitable progress, but for me it is a little disappointing if true. I'll watch this space.
2021-3-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Μ3P on the body of A2S with 4/3" and 360 obstacle and only 899 C1 for Europe with 8K 60 that would be awsome

What do you want 8K............... 4K is way to heavy in terms of Data. I never go over 1080p
2021-3-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rick448 Posted at 3-21 03:12
I really hope that there isn't a new model this soon, I only bought the MA2 last week, and I'd hate to see my new hobby becoming something like the iPhone upgrade game, I know I'm not forced to upgrade, and that some will see this as inevitable progress, but for me it is a little disappointing if true. I'll watch this space.

To add the EU classification that we need to fly it sensibly here needs to be a new model I believe.  The leak also shows this has the new UKCA mark too.
2021-3-22
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I hope that's not the case.
2021-3-22
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

What will happen, if DJI publishes a new drone and no one will buy it ? Would they start to care more about the customers requirements ?
2021-3-23
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

MySky Posted at 3-23 04:08
What will happen, if DJI publishes a new drone and no one will buy it ? Would they start to care more about the customers requirements ?

I'm pretty sure that I will not buy another drone just because of sticker, so the custommer care is essential for my next choice...
2021-3-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 3-23 06:59
I'm pretty sure that I will not buy another drone just because of sticker, so the custommer care is essential for my next choice...

It would have been better if EASA had delayed so much.  
2021-3-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What will happen, if DJI publishes a new drone and no one will buy it ? Would they start to care more about the customers requirements ?

I suspect that the lack of classification will delay many purchases, in the mean time the mini 2 without classification exploits a great loop hole in the rules.  
2021-3-23
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

You post a lot of sense DAFlys. I was thinking about buying an MA 2, but will wait now and if in the unfortunate case of crashing my Mini 2 I will just buy another Mini 2 combo.(You can't have too many batteries or spare props can you?)
2021-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 3-25 03:51
You post a lot of sense DAFlys. I was thinking about buying an MA 2, but will wait now and if in the unfortunate case of crashing my Mini 2 I will just buy another Mini 2 combo.(You can't have too many batteries or spare props can you?)

I just bought a mini 2 especially because of the loop hole it exploits,  I have a M2P so dont really need it but I can drag it out if I need to be legal.  
2021-3-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 3-25 03:51

Dont forget the bag,  its a nice little bag for the mini 2.
2021-3-25
Use props
djiuser_id0Omhnzg8GX
New
Germany

Μ3P on the body of A2S with 4/3" and 360 obstacle and only 899 C1 for Europe with 8K 60 that would be awsome

I would be willing to pay 1000 for a drone that is classified. the way the sticker looks, it won't work. The eu market doesn't seem to be of interest to dji
2021-3-26
Use props
PilotJan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16299 ft

Germany

I also hope it will get a C1 classification. Waypoints would be also really good
2021-4-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PilotJan Posted at 4-5 10:27
I also hope it will get a C1 classification. Waypoints would be also really good

Rumours are suggesting its not C marked sadly.
2021-4-5
Use props
S.T.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1392575 ft
Greece

DJI has over 80% of the consumer drone market.
That is the big problem.
2021-4-6
Use props
ranrick
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Nice read and info, thanks!
2021-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ranrick Posted at 4-7 00:18
Nice read and info, thanks!

No probs.  
2021-4-7
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

By the looks of it DJI has finally given up the "quarter" Bayer and went with a classic sensor. Now all we need is Pocket 2S with this camera on...
2021-4-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 4-7 14:39
By the looks of it DJI has finally given up the "quarter" Bayer and went with a classic sensor. Now all we need is Pocket 2S with this camera on...

I wonder if the "quarter" Bayer sensor was from a USA supplier and they can no longer buy it.
2021-4-7
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

DAFlys Posted at 4-7 23:29
I wonder if the "quarter" Bayer sensor was from a USA supplier and they can no longer buy it.

I seriously doubt it, as all these pixel binning, high MP small sensors (that I know of) are either from Sony or Samsung. If I am not mistaken DJI uses the Sony ones.

DJI got mixed results with these line of sensors for some reason. Although they've got one working quite well with the Air 2, they totally failed with the one in Pocket 2. P2 can not even perform the simplest functions adequately (like recording proper 4K 60 or tracking an object smoothly). They also could not get the HDR working properly with it, which was supposed to be the strong suit of a Quad Bayer sensor setup.

I guess they simply want less headaches, so I would not be surprised if we never see one of these sensors in a DJI product again...
2021-4-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 4-8 03:44
I seriously doubt it, as all these pixels binning, high MP small sensors (that I know of) are either from Sony or Samsung. If I am not mistaken DJI uses the Sony ones.

DJI got mixed results with these line of sensors for some reason. Although they've got one working quite well with the Air 2, they totally failed with the one in Pocket 2. P2 can not even perform the simplest functions adequately (like recording proper 4K 60 or tracking an object smoothly). They also could not get the HDR working properly with it, which was supposed to be the strong suit of a Quad Bayer sensor setup.

We should find out in a about a week from the rumours.
2021-4-8
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

DAFlys Posted at 4-8 22:51
We should find out in a about a week from the rumours.

I guess we would! According to the rumor mill Air2S it set to be released on the 15th...

If the sensor is really IMX383, then the Air2S would be the flying version of the probably most apricated and respected compact camera of the last 9 -and counting- years (Sony RX100)
2021-4-9
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules