Mavic Air 2 Stutter during flight
3917 27 2021-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nfrerman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44364 ft
United States

This is my second drone and used as a backup, so I haven't flown it a ton.  What I am finding is a stutter in the video during flight (seen on the screen) and this stutter is also visible in the unedited video.  It occurs about ever 2 to 3 seconds during video recording where it seems to capture the same frame 2 times.  Any thoughts on this?
2021-3-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there nfrerman. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Are you able to post a sample footage showing the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.
2021-3-16
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-16 19:28
Hello there nfrerman. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Are you able to post a sample footage showing the said issue for us to be able to see and assist you further? Thank you.

Hi Stephen.

I uploaded to youtube (link below).  This is one of several videos that I shot today.  With short flight time on this drone, I hadn't noticed this until now.  

DJI Mavic Air 2 Test
2021-3-16
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39xo7AJXCbs
2021-3-16
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 364902 ft
Germany

Looks like you used an SD card that is not fast enough .
2021-3-17
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

MySky Posted at 3-17 11:11

That was my initial thought as well.  Using sand disk 32gb, extreme v30, A1, U3.

Do I need to go up to an extreme pro?
2021-3-17
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

nfrerman Posted at 3-17 11:13
That was my initial thought as well.  Using sand disk 32gb, extreme v30, A1, U3.

Should have added that I have tried multiple cards, all similar/same spec.
2021-3-17
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

nfrerman Posted at 3-17 11:13

A1 is with 60MB write speed too slow for 4k and especially at 60fps.
Better you choose one with A2 which are around 90 to 100MB write speed, depending on the manufacturer.
But you can check if the stutter will also appear in 2.7k or lower resolutions. If so,  it might be an issue with your MA2.
2021-3-17
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

Just tried with an A2.  Same stutter on my phone while I am filming and afterward.  Think it is the unit?
2021-3-17
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

Btw. Is the video directly from your MA2 / SD card or some screen recording from your phone ?
Have tried a playback on another device like a PC ?
Was your video the raw material or did you convert it somehow ?
2021-3-17
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

MySky Posted at 3-17 12:18
Btw. Is the video directly from your MA2 / SD card or some screen recording from your phone ?
Have tried a playback on another device like a PC ?
Was your video the raw material or did you convert it somehow ?

I meant that I am seeing the stutter during flight and recording when viewing on my phone as well as when I pull it down to the computer or iPad (using a sd card reader).  I am not doing anything to the video when I pull it off the sd card.  Just concerned that I am seeing it during flight as well as when I pull the video down.  Thought maybe there was a known issue/correction.  

I am still under warranty, so nbd if I need to send it in.  
2021-3-17
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

A stutter can happen on the phone during flight depending on the phone and how many apps are running in the background. But it schould not be in the raw footage on the SD card.
Before you send it in to DJI, have tried to reinstall the firmware and app ?
2021-3-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

nfrerman Posted at 3-16 23:53
Hi Stephen.

I uploaded to youtube (link below).  This is one of several videos that I shot today.  With short flight time on this drone, I hadn't noticed this until now.  

Hi there nfrerman. Thank you for the reply and for posting this video link. Can you please try using a different supported SD card for the DJI Mavic Air 2 for us to be able to isolate the said issue. For reference I will post the list of supported SD card for the said DJI Drone. Thank you.

2021-3-17
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried a different location? The snow being bright might be affecting the sensor and video. Not sure if you have another microSD card, but you could also just save it to the internal memory as a test. Also what video settings are you using, ie H264, H265, etc?
2021-3-18
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

I really appreciate everyone's help.  Would love to avoid sending it in.

Tests run this morning:
1. Sandisk Extreme Plus V30 - A2 (picture attached)
2. Re-installed DJI Fly on phone
3. Re-installed firmware on drone
4. H264 <https://youtu.be/TYyvACinFCw> and H265 <https://youtu.be/gGzRZDJerK8> setting (both with same outcome) - both shot mp4
5. H264 <https://youtu.be/Oj8q3hvAjbw> and H265 <https://youtu.be/PCLiLWtp2BM> setting (both with same outcome) - both shot MOV
6. Last video file is screen cap from the phone while "in flight" https://youtu.be/a0E6kw8fHEw

Unfortunately, I live in colorado and there is snow everywhere right now, but reviewing previous video taken, same thing was occurring.  I just held the drone today and recorded in the kitchen, some dark, some light.
2021-3-18
Use props
Mats Bohlinsson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1838077 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

nfrerman Posted at 3-18 06:06
I really appreciate everyone's help.  Would love to avoid sending it in.

Tests run this morning:

Send it in. Shouldn't look like that!

But first, have you tried to use the builtin sd?
2021-3-18
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

Just tested.  Same thing with internal.  

Other option I have is to take it back to Best Buy and get a new one.  
2021-3-18
Use props
MySky
Second Officer
Germany

nfrerman Posted at 3-18 07:44
Just tested.  Same thing with internal.  

Other option I have is to take it back to Best Buy and get a new one.

Sorry to read, but it will be the easiest way to bring it back.
2021-3-18
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

Hey all, thanks for the help over the last couple of days.  Going to run over to Best Buy and see what they do with the exchange and post with update/more tests on new drone.

I sincerely appreciate everyone’s input while I try to work it out.
2021-3-18
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yea out of ideas on what it could be. Probably good to take it back for an exchange on a new one!
2021-3-18
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

Well, I went ahead and took it back to Best Buy and got a new one.  Just finished charging 1 battery and updating all firmware.  

took it out for first flight and all went well.  Definitely an issue that I am not sure I would have ever figured out.  

Thanks to everyone that attempted to help me with the issue.  It is awesome to have a community that is willing to ask questions and support each other.  Guess I need to get on here more often.
2021-3-18
Use props
fans16dc6caa
New

United States

FINALLY! I have looked for 4 hours trying to find a forum talking about this and spent 2 hours on the phone with support. Although this is not the news I was looking for (I have to shoot a wedding video this weekend and wont have my drone for specifically requested drone shots) I at least know I'm not crazy. Thank you
2021-7-29
Use props
kwilliamson
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello - this appears to be an ongoing issue - just upgraded from an Air to Air 2 and out the box I'm getting this glitching / stuttering , not even flying or recording - using the same SanDisk Exreme Pro that i'd been using successfully on my air. Tried all the above workarounds, including different phones, internal memory, lower resolution video, ND filters, shutter speed, all to no avail. Very disappointing as this is not a low cost drone.
The video is unusable.
2021-10-23
Use props
kwilliamson
lvl.1
United Kingdom

kwilliamson Posted at 10-23 04:17
Hello - this appears to be an ongoing issue - just upgraded from an Air to Air 2 and out the box I'm getting this glitching / stuttering , not even flying or recording - using the same SanDisk Exreme Pro that i'd been using successfully on my air. Tried all the above workarounds, including different phones, internal memory, lower resolution video, ND filters, shutter speed, all to no avail. Very disappointing as this is not a low cost drone.
The video is unusable.

The European DJI support team has been very helpful & fast response.
They did propose 2 more things :-
1. Calibrate the UMI
2. Calibrate the Gimbal
Both completed but the problem is still there, so they are replacing the unit.
2021-10-26
Use props
kwilliamson
lvl.1
United Kingdom

nfrerman Posted at 3-16 23:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39xo7AJXCbs

Thanks for all the help - I have the exact same issue & resolution is to return for replacement.
2021-10-26
Use props
nfrerman
lvl.2
United States

kwilliamson Posted at 10-26 04:59
Thanks for all the help - I have the exact same issue & resolution is to return for replacement.

Glad this post was helpful to others.  Such a pain when it first happened, but glad for the help that I received here.
2021-11-1
Use props
AvroTrain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375318 ft
  • >>>
United States

Type of SD card are you using. I have to agree, I think the speed is not sufficient.
2021-11-3
Use props
AvroTrain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375318 ft
  • >>>
United States

MySky Posted at 3-17 11:11

Yes I have to agree with this. One of them I use is a Sandisk XC 1 V10 and never had that issue. Although sometimes my Fly App says it is too slow but do not see that issue.
2021-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules