Headphone jack thinks headphone extender cable is a microphone
666 5 2021-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JasonBellini
lvl.2
United States

Wondering if anyone can suggest a solution to this... I have a microphone extender cable that I've plugged into the Pocket 2 while using the wireless microphone module. As soon as I plug the cable in, it disables the wireless microphone and treats that cable as a headphone input.
Ultimately, I'd love to be able to connect a Rode Go transmitter into the headphone jack and then plug my headphones into the receiver (giving me wireless headphones for monitoring the wireless microphone).

Would appreciate any suggestions or insights into how to make this possible. Thanks!

2021-3-17
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just a thought, maybe the polarity of the cable connection is reversed.
2021-3-18
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Normally headphones and microphones have different impedance values with microphones on average having a higher impedance value than headphones. If the auto detect is registering a higher impedance value due to the resistance of having additional cable length and possible additional poor connection between using an extra connection in the lead, that could fool the input into thinking it was a microphone.  A better lead or connectors may rectify the problem or it could just be the lead has a different impedance value.
Why did you call it a microphone extension cable? Was it sold as such?
Ray.
2021-3-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I have to say that the original post seems seriously muddled about microphones, headphones, inputs and outputs - some clarification might be good.
2021-3-19
Use props
JasonBellini
lvl.2
United States

Figured it out. I needed a connector that the Osmo Pocket 2 would recognize as a headphone when I'm using the wireless mic. Found one that was polarized correctly to do the trick for me.
2021-3-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Glad you fixed it.
2021-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules