Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Reset Phantom 2 remote controller (DJ6) to factory settings?
9333 15 2015-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

Is it possible to reset the Phantom 2 stock controller (DJ6) to factory defaults?  I calibrated by controller, and now the Phantom flies as though the left stick is continually pushed backwards.  I'd like to reset the remote controller completely, or at least reset the stick calibration to defaults.               
2015-7-13
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Normally the left stick is the throttle, unless you have switched modes.
The RC assistant will let you calibrate / change modes and reverse the inputs to your liking.
The re-calibrate again with the PT2 assistant.
2015-7-13
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Left stick should be power up and throttle back to come down. Right stick up is forward down is backwar and left and right. If they are reversed then as John said in the assistant software under the RC tab the mode is changed  mode 1 or 2
2015-7-13
Use props
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the replies.  But it's not an issue with the sticks being reversed or anything (wish it were...).  Rather, the "home" or centerpoint of the stick controls are being treated as if it maps to a slightly non-zero values now.   So rather than giving an input of 0 when the sticks are neutral, the controller is sending slightly positive or negative values in the various directions.  So at "neutral" the quad is flying slightly back towards me, and a little bit down..  I know it's something like that because when I start the calibration again, I see the wonky values for a split second before it prompts me to swirl the sticks.  Those values look a lot like the values it's feeding the Phantom at sticks neutral..  Recalibrated over and over to no avail..  It's almost like I just need to reset or wipe the calibration and set it back to where it was..
2015-7-13
Use props
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

I'm starting to think this may not be a controller calibration issue, but perhaps related to firmware?  I updated firmware the other day before doing the stick calibration.  And I'm wondering if it's the firmware that's causing drift?  I checked to see if the IMU needs to be recalibrated, and the software claims it doesn't.  But I've been reading that any time you update firmware it's a good idea to recalibrate the IMU (even if it says you don't need to?)

Thoughts on whether that might be the solution?  Sadly, the drone is pretty hard to control and really tough to fly (without constantly counteracting its tendency to move back towards you and up a little bit..)
2015-7-14
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Out of interest, when you calibrate the TX in the RC asst do you then calibrate the TX in the Phantom asst , if not try doing that.
2015-7-15
Use props
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-7-15 21:17
Out of interest, when you calibrate the TX in the RC asst do you then calibrate the TX in the Phanto ...

I actually did try that last night.  Calibrated TX in RC Asst, then in Phantom Asst, then advanced calibrated IMU, then calibrated compass.  Still no luck.  Phantom behaves pretty much the same.  Tends to drift backwards upon takeoff, acts erratically overall, and occassionally gets into a scary little wobble I've never seen before.

At this point, I suspect the firmware update to 3.14 is the issue.  I had issues updating to 2.x a while back, and I was able to roll back.  But I'm hearing that there's no going back from v3.08 and up (which I'm hoping to confirm/deny soon..)  If that's the case, I'm out of ideas..
2015-7-15
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Recalibrate the controller sticks without connecting to the computer.
093139rmq5ycusimuss1yb.gif
2015-7-15
Use props
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-7-15 22:47
Recalibrate the controller sticks without connecting to the computer.

Yep.  Tried that one too..  Still no love unfortunately.  :/

Thanks for the post, and the snapshot though!
2015-7-15
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

Can you post a picture of what both the assistant softwares show for the TX unit,
2015-7-16
Use props
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

Here are snapshots of the Remote and Phantom Assistants, before and after calibration, as well as their info pages.

phantom_after

phantom_after
phantom_info.png

rc_after

rc_after

rc_before

rc_before

rc_info

rc_info
2015-7-16
Use props
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

Well.  Looks like I'm going to have to send my quad and controller in for repair..  Now I have to wait 6 weeks and hope they can fix it, and hope I don't get charged.  Very disappointed.

The take home lesson for me is NEVER upgrade your firmware for any reason..  While it probably works fine for a lot of owners a lot of the time, the risk of a catastrophic update is just not worth taking in my opinion.
2015-7-18
Use props
toblerone777
lvl.1

United States

Well, I've learned my lesson on this one.  The lesson I took away is that you should never update firmware unless your Phantom is having some kind of problem you are hoping it will fix.  While many firmware updates go just fine (I am told), in my experience, a firmware update can potentially cause your drone to fly erratically, be uncontrollable, or crash.  I have a P2 that became uncontrollable with any firmware version above 1.08. Thankfully, with versions below v3, you were able to roll back to fix it.  But with v3 and up, you can no longer roll back, so you're taking your quad's life in your hands, so to speak..  I have read many similar experiences with the P3.

What's more, if you take a bad firmware update, DJI will be absolutely ruthless when it comes to fixing the problem.  Even though you updated in an effort to stay up to date and "do the right thing", they will charge you to rectify the problem.  As far as they are concerned (and a lot of people on this forum seem to agree, strangely enough..) it is YOUR fault that you updated, even if they're the ones that released lousy software AND bad it impossible to roll back.  In my case, they wanted to charge me $143 to replace the flight controller, even though the problem is entirely their fault!.  To me, that's like punishing diligent customers for dutifully taking their updates.  You would think they would want to encourage, not discourage users from upgrading regularly to receive the latest safety, reliability, and regulatory updates.  

Anyway, for my money, I've decided to try to never update firmware unless it already doesn't fly, or I'm forced to at gunpoint.
2015-9-3
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Don't think you issue is upgrading the firmware. The left stick back is descent or brining the quad down and landing. Drift can be caused by the IMU calibration if the copter is not perfectly level fron to back and left to right. Did you level the quad before doing the IMU? Next wobble appears to be a hardware issue. Any props damaged or chipped? Do your motors SMTP and start at the same time. If you turn them by hand do the all feal the same and have the same resistance? Have you had any crashes? I next if you plug into the assistant and go to upgrade what does that page show?  Explain a little slower and with any detail as to what it's doing , when and what sticks are you controlling it with. Also it can drift if you take off and go to have enough satellites locked in and try to fly. A little more detail and you may find the guys on here can help a lot. Might save you the 6 weeks out.
2015-9-4
Use props
Buddy Stewart
lvl.1

United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-9-4 05:01
Don't think you issue is upgrading the firmware. The left stick back is descent or brining the quad  ...

Well, the only reason I suspect that it's a firmware issue is because it was flying perfectly fine every day.  I landed perfectly smoothly, went home and upgraded firmware and charged batteries.  Went out later that day and it was completely out of control.  I used a bubble level to examine a flat countertop before calibrating the IMU (it was well within spec before and after calibration), and calibrated the compass and controller using both the Phantom and PhantomRC software in the recommended order, attached brand new props, and even tried de-magnetizing the compass.  Plus, I had upgraded firmware once in the past and got the same problems immediately.  At that time, I was able to downgrade, but can't do that with the latest firmware.

I can't really see anything else that would explain a machine that flies perfectly right up until firmware gets updated like that..  I'm certain the firmware caused the problem, and I suspect I have some older P2 hardware that just doesn't like the newer firmware.  It's the only theory that seems to make any sense to me...
2015-9-7
Use props
Buddy Stewart
lvl.1

United States

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-9-4 05:01
Don't think you issue is upgrading the firmware. The left stick back is descent or brining the quad  ...

Well, the only reason I suspect that it's a firmware issue is because it was flying perfectly fine every day.  I landed perfectly smoothly, went home and upgraded firmware and charged batteries.  Went out later that day and it was completely out of control.  I used a bubble level to examine a flat countertop before calibrating the IMU (it was well within spec before and after calibration), and calibrated the compass and controller using both the Phantom and PhantomRC software in the recommended order, attached brand new props, and even tried de-magnetizing the compass.  Plus, I had upgraded firmware once in the past and got the same problems immediately.  At that time, I was able to downgrade, but can't do that with the latest firmware.

I can't really see anything else that would explain a machine that flies perfectly right up until firmware gets updated like that..  I'm certain the firmware caused the problem, and I suspect I have some older P2 hardware that just doesn't like the newer firmware.  It's the only theory that seems to make any sense to me...
2015-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules