What Are The Android Device Requirements for Fly?
9533 39 2021-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

Exactly what are the requirements for an Android cell phone or tablet to run Fly?   So far I believe it needs the following.

64 bit CPU
64 bit Android OS  
Version 6 or better Android OS  

What other requirements are needed?

Are there any other CPU requirements? Speed? Cores?

Is there a minimum requirement for RAM?

Are there only certain GPUs that will work?.

Are there only certain chipsets that will work?

Are there certain sensors that are must haves?

Is there a minimum resolution requirement for the display?

Is GPS required?

??

It is easy enough to try a cell phone or tablet with Fly if you already own it, but if you looking to buy one to use only with Fly, you really need a set of requirements to do so.   As DJI indicates, there are too many cell phones and tablet makes and models to test all of them so the obvious solution is provide a set of requirements of what is needed.  Otherwise you are locked into the few DJI tested models.   

If DJI has such a list of requirements please post the URL as I have yet to find it.  

2021-3-18
Use props
fans017bca4d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I understand your frustration, maybe do a poll here and ask members to say which mobile device they are using. PS. I did a little research and on amazon and ebay you can easily find cheap LG G4 .
2021-3-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There's a big difference between running the app and running it well.
The app is demanding and requires a fast processor and 4GB of RAM to run properly.
Do you want the cheapest phone or tablet that "runs" the app, or one that runs it properly?

You don't need GPS or compass sensors on the device to fly.
It's the compass and GPS receiver on the drone that are critical.
But there only a few odd Android devices that don't have a compass and GPS receiver anyway.

DJI's list of recommended devices is just a few that they have tested.
But many of the best flying tablets and phones have never been tested by DJI.
Here's a more comprehensive list:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/best-tabletsphones-for-dji-go.18

2021-3-18
Use props
fans017bca4d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

this is an old list and it is unreliable ...
2021-3-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Bill__S. Good day and thank you for creating this post and for sharing these information here with us. For reference  I will post a link for list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Fly application. In addition, rest assured that our DJI R&D Team are continuously testing multiple devices to be added on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Fly application in the future. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly
2021-3-18
Use props
ozoffi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 55128 ft
Austria

In addition to the devices recommended by DJI as compatible (-> iPhon 6S with iOS 12) also work (successfully used by me):

Modell: Galaxy Tab S6 LTE (SM-T865)
Memory: 8GB RAM, 128GB Flash
CPU: 1 x 2,8 GHz + 3 x 2,4 GHz + 4 x 1,7 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 (SM8150)
Resolution: 2.560 x 1.600 Pixel (WQXGA) - 10,5 Zoll
With Android 11

Modell: LG G7 ThinQ LM-G710EM
Memory: 4GB RAM, 64 GB Flash
CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 with Grafic Adreno 630
Resolution: 1440 x 3120 Pixel - 6,1 Zoll
With Android 10

ATTENTION! APPs such as third-party launcher or APPs that influence the screen orientation (e.g. RotateControl or similar) can cause the DJI APP to crash if configured incorrectly!
2021-3-18
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

Thanks to all who replied and for your suggestions and comments.   After much research, I am going with the Sansung Tab A 8”, SM-T290NZSAXAR.  Yes, it might not be the best one but for someone who is just dipping his toes in for the first time, it is not a serious investment and I saw more than one post that indicated it worked.  If this is something I want to stay with, I can always upgrade later.

As someone who retired from IT overseeing a 1000+ node network of PCs, with Linux and Windows servers, I am simply amazed with the non uniformity of Android devices and how you cannot even change the OS version without the support of the device manufacturer.    That, however, is an area probably best discussed in another forum.   Thanks again.

2021-3-22
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

Bill__S Posted at 3-22 16:58
Thanks to all who replied and for your suggestions and comments.   After much research, I am going with the Sansung Tab A 8”, SM-T290NZSAXAR.  Yes, it might not be the best one but for someone who is just dipping his toes in for the first time, it is not a serious investment and I saw more than one post that indicated it worked.  If this is something I want to stay with, I can always upgrade later.

As someone who retired from IT overseeing a 1000+ node network of PCs, with Linux and Windows servers, I am simply amazed with the non uniformity of Android devices and how you cannot even change the OS version without the support of the device manufacturer.    That, however, is an area probably best discussed in another forum.   Thanks again.

Another thing that seems unusual, DJI just pulled the DJI Fly app out of the Google play store! You can download from DJI but it makes it more difficult and possibly more risky?
2021-3-23
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 3-23 06:38
Another thing that seems unusual, DJI just pulled the DJI Fly app out of the Google play store! You can download from DJI but it makes it more difficult and possibly more risky?

Why more difficult and risky? Or I should maybe have asked how more difficult and risky?
2021-3-23
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 3-23 07:18
Why more difficult and risky? Or I should maybe have asked how more difficult and risky?

Difficult in actually finding the download and installing it. If you purchase the drone and try to load the software how will you know if on Android that you must go to DJI's site to download. Also I have had issues finding the download link. Possibly more risky: Being it is no longer on Google Play store; it won't necessarily be scanned for virus, etc.
2021-3-23
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 3-23 08:13
Difficult in actually finding the download and installing it. If you purchase the drone and try to load the software how will you know if on Android that you must go to DJI's site to download. Also I have had issues finding the download link. Possibly more risky: Being it is no longer on Google Play store; it won't necessarily be scanned for virus, etc.

I read threads on forums such as this one. Doing research on finding out how to do things is all part of the hobby is it not?
As for being more risky, do you think Dji are going to supply an app that could adversely affect the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of the drones they have sold without checking it thoroughly for viruses!
2021-3-23
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 379449 ft
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 3-23 08:52
I read threads on forums such as this one. Doing research on finding out how to do things is all part of the hobby is it not?
As for being more risky, do you think Dji are going to supply an app that could adversely affect the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of the drones they have sold without checking it thoroughly for viruses!

I agree. I've seen this sort of comment in a few threads: "I don't want to get the app from the people who wrote it, it's safer to get it from a third party..."
What?
2021-3-23
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 379449 ft
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 3-23 08:13
Difficult in actually finding the download and installing it. If you purchase the drone and try to load the software how will you know if on Android that you must go to DJI's site to download. Also I have had issues finding the download link. Possibly more risky: Being it is no longer on Google Play store; it won't necessarily be scanned for virus, etc.

Go to DJI.com and click on downloads
How much easier do you need it to be?
2021-3-23
Use props
BatUtilityBelt
lvl.1

United States

Beware the Amazon Fire Tablet sales... I have 3 Fire tablets, and not one of them runs a new enough OS version to fly DJI. Amazon does not allow you to update to a newer OS, only receive patches. My Fire tablets are hardware compatible (Fire 8, 64 bit), but no go, I'll be using my phone instead and the Fire tablets will sit around idle with too few applications.
2021-3-23
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 3-23 08:52
I read threads on forums such as this one. Doing research on finding out how to do things is all part of the hobby is it not?

I think many new people will not check forums or DJI's website for phone compatibility, Apps, etc. Some will get discouraged by finding their device is not compatible, only after purchasing a drone. DJI seems to make it difficult to know the restrictions before purchase. The box should clearly state that most Mobile devices will not work, check for compatibility online! It seems as though more research is needed than most might expect.
2021-3-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 3-24 05:46
I think many new people will not check forums or DJI's website for phone compatibility, Apps, etc. Some will get discouraged by finding their device is not compatible, only after purchasing a drone. DJI seems to make it difficult to know the restrictions before purchase. The box should clearly state that most Mobile devices will not work, check for compatibility online! It seems as though more research is needed than most might expect.

Well, I'm very new to this hobby/addiction and I carried out loads of research here on this forum and others and wasn't afraid to ask the simplest of questions for advice on various matters relating to drones. Any knowledge that I have gained, I am only too willing to pass on to others if I can help in any way shape or form. That is the general idea of forums, is it not?
2021-3-24
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

I am also fairly new, last year I purchased a mini 1.  I stumbled across the forum before I purchased the drone also.
But some users do not come here first as seen by their questions on phone compatibility, App updates, etc. after they have purchased the drone.
I have seen in the Mini 1 forum a survey, and about 50% of users were 50 years old or older ( usually not as tech savvy).
I'm not bashing anyone, as I am also in that group. but I am an Electronic engineer so I keep up with tech fairly well.
I thought the forums should have links to App downloads, since this is where people come to look for things.
There should at least be a link that brings you there from here.
2021-3-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I am 72 years old. Completed 22 years in Her Majesty's Royal Air Force as an Electronic Engineer maintaining Airfield Radar and Communications facilities.
Demobbed from the RAF in 1989 and started employment with the UK Civil Aviation Authority the next day doing the same tasks where I stayed for 17 years before taking early retirement 15 years ago.
Alas, I do not keep up with technical developments ( going too fast for me now) but I am 'having a ball' and hope to for a few more years yet. Happy flying. Stay safe!
2021-3-24
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
United States

yogi053 Posted at 3-24 09:17
I am 72 years old. Completed 22 years in Her Majesty's Royal Air Force as an Electronic Engineer maintaining Airfield Radar and Communications facilities.
Demobbed from the RAF in 1989 and started employment with the UK Civil Aviation Authority the next day doing the same tasks where I stayed for 17 years before taking early retirement 15 years ago.
Alas, I do not keep up with technical developments ( going too fast for me now) but I am 'having a ball' and hope to for a few more years yet. Happy flying. Stay safe!

Glad you are enjoying it, it can be quite addictive! Where you a pilot with the RAF? You picked a good drone for your first. I was weighing between the original mini and the Air 2, but didn't think I could convince the wife I needed one that was so expensive as I hadn't even flown one before. So I went with the original mini. But when I heard about he updates for the mini 2, I knew it would be a better solution for me.
2021-3-24
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bill__S Posted at 3-22 16:58
Thanks to all who replied and for your suggestions and comments.   After much research, I am going with the Sansung Tab A 8”, SM-T290NZSAXAR.  Yes, it might not be the best one but for someone who is just dipping his toes in for the first time, it is not a serious investment and I saw more than one post that indicated it worked.  If this is something I want to stay with, I can always upgrade later.

Very bad idea. Learn from  my mistake.
First, I had a T290 like that and just gave it away with one of my Minis. It does NOT have an internal geomagnetic sensor so the compass feature in the FLY app will not work to indicate direction to the drone.
Second, it is too slow to be used effectively for anything with Occusync 2. I have tried on the MA2 and Mini 2 and both times it failed, even though it does work for the Mini.

I recommend an ASUS Zenpad Z8s. Do not get an ASUS Z8, since it is too slow and has no mag sensor.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2747236 ... vP3X0hoCJ8gQAvD_BwE

2021-3-24
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 3-24 10:49
Glad you are enjoying it, it can be quite addictive! Where you a pilot with the RAF? You picked a good drone for your first. I was weighing between the original mini and the Air 2, but didn't think I could convince the wife I needed one that was so expensive as I hadn't even flown one before. So I went with the original mini. But when I heard about he updates for the mini 2, I knew it would be a better solution for me.

Thank you for your reply.Yes, I am indeed enjoying my retirement. The Mini 2 is not my first drone/quadcopter although the previous ones, that I still own, require a lot more effort to control and the onboard cameras are inferior to that of the Mini 2.
With the RAF, no, not a pilot, have another read of my potted employment history. I definitely cannot keep up with current technological advances but I can sketch a block diagram of a 'superhet' receiver and draw circuit diagrams of amplifiers, oscillators etc using 'valve' and 'transistor' symbols. Being old, this is what was called for during my training. As my career progressed from one of repairing electronic equipment by component faultfinding to one of 'black box' changing I found myself with a loss of ' job satisfaction' and found it easier to take early retirement and make way for the younger generation of 'electronic engineers'. Fly happy, have fun, most of all, in these current times, Stay safe!
2021-3-25
Use props
foregotten
lvl.1

Netherlands

Was looking to buy the fly more version but luckily checked the "recommended devices".

Absolutely ridiculous that most of the Android devices are flagship phones from nearly 2 years ago. Pixel 4 supported but Pixel 5 isn't?
Samsung 10 is but the newer successor Samsung 20 and even newer from this year Samsung 21 aren't on the list.

Fimi launch a Mini 2 competitor in 2 weeks and DJI can't be bothered to just print the hardware and software requirements.
Instead they just keep a nice safe small list of devices to cover their own ass.

I think DJI have become way too complacent with their market position.

Lack of effort like this will be their demise.
2021-3-25
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
United Kingdom

If the fimi mini lives up to the leaks flying  around, pun intended, then I for one will be very interested especially at the suggested retail price being bandied about.
2021-3-25
Use props
Bill__S
lvl.1

United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-24 18:31
Very bad idea. Learn from  my mistake.
First, I had a T290 like that and just gave it away with one of my Minis. It does NOT have an internal geomagnetic sensor so the compass feature in the FLY app will not work to indicate direction to the drone.
Second, it is too slow to be used effectively for anything with Occusync 2. I have tried on the MA2 and Mini 2 and both times it failed, even though it does work for the Mini.

The die has been cast (sigh).  I purchased the Tab A from BestBuy on Monday and it was here on Tuesday, well before you replied yesterday.   

The first thing I did was to put Fly on it and I have spent considerable time since then disabling every app that could be disabled that won’t be needed to use with a drone.   At this point, the configuration has been altered so much that I do not think it would fair to return it.  I will live with it for now.  As I said earlier, this will be my first foray into the area of drones so I will consider it as part of the learning experience to see if this is a hobby I want to stay with.   With a little luck, all the things I disabled will help with the slowness you mentioned.

I will reiterate, however, that it would really be nice if DJI actually published in one place a list of the minimum requirements that a phone or tablet needs to work with Fly along with a list of optional requirements, such as the internal geomagnetic sensor you mentioned, that would enhance the user experience.   Depending on comments in various forums to make a decision takes a lot of time and is hit or miss.   I never came across an ASUS Zenpad Z8s in my wanderings that I recall, until you mentioned it, and I saw several posts that indicated a Tab A worked with Fly.   Unfortunately there were no listed requirements from DJI that I could use to judge its overall suitability from looking at the Tab A specifications.    Most commercial software used with Windows comes with recommended requirements for CPU, RAM, monitor resolution, etc.  Why cannot DJI do the same for their software?

I guess when you have a 70 plus percent share of the total market, it doesn’t matter if a few people make mistakes and get discouraged.   Perhaps now that DJI has been added to the US “Entity List”, things will change, or at least draw other vendors into the market place.   We can always hope.

2021-3-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bill__S Posted at 3-25 18:52
The die has been cast (sigh).  I purchased the Tab A from BestBuy on Monday and it was here on Tuesday, well before you replied yesterday.   

The first thing I did was to put Fly on it and I have spent considerable time since then disabling every app that could be disabled that won’t be needed to use with a drone.   At this point, the configuration has been altered so much that I do not think it would fair to return it.  I will live with it for now.  As I said earlier, this will be my first foray into the area of drones so I will consider it as part of the learning experience to see if this is a hobby I want to stay with.   With a little luck, all the things I disabled will help with the slowness you mentioned.

Most legitimate sellers of new or used devices will let you return it easily, often for free. I would just do a factory reset that would put it back to the way it was before you got it and send it back. Trust me, I really wanted mine to work well, but it wasn't happening.

I see that Best Buy advertises you can send it back within 15 days.

bb return.png
2021-3-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Update in case anyone is interested: I just received one of the $69 ASUS tablets I linked in the above post #21. I want to dedicate it to use with my Mini 2, It performs perfectly and looks like new. The disclaimer about the slight bend does not affect it at all and I believe it is typical of the brand even when new. My original ASUS Z8s tablet has the same very slight bend, under 1 mm over the full length.
2021-3-27
Use props
djiuser_bspCaGpYXt0P
lvl.2
France

@garydoug, I suppose you talk about the ASUS Zenpad Z8s which you mentioned on #22 ( an not #21 ?)

Thanks a lot
2021-6-25
Use props
robpri
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635066 ft
South Africa

I am using a Samsung galaxy A32 phone , works very well . I am just to scared to go to version 1.4.4  I am currently using 1.4.0 and running the new firmware 01.03.0000
2021-6-29
Use props
kSetuni
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 3-27 09:43
Update in case anyone is interested: I just received one of the $69 ASUS tablets I linked in the above post #21. I want to dedicate it to use with my Mini 2, It performs perfectly and looks like new. The disclaimer about the slight bend does not affect it at all and I believe it is typical of the brand even when new. My original ASUS Z8s tablet has the same very slight bend, under 1 mm over the full length.

sadly it appears they are out of stock on that one.
2021-6-30
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling through the mine filed of tablets. I've been at it for DAYS and have come up with this.

Will it run the App??
2022-1-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

cheddar-man Posted at 1-17 10:19
I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling through the mine filed of tablets. I've been at it for DAYS and have come up with this.

Will it run the App??

If it does, it won't do it very well.
It was released back in April 2014, is underpowered and only has 1.5 GB of RAM.
Look for something more up to date with 4 GB of RAM and a fast processor and for DJI Fly, it has to have a 64 bit processor.
2022-1-17
Use props
Sakari Kaulaote
lvl.3
Flight distance : 34941 ft
Finland

64 bit operating system is a must, it won't install in to a 32bit system with a 64 bit CPU.

Huawei MediaPad T5 10inch (AGS2-L09) works fine. Only 2gb ram. This one i debloated, so there is nothing else unwanted running, only DJI Fly app.

Lenovo TB-8704X 8inch works fine. It has 4gb ram.

With cheap pads the downside is usually the screen brightness. Not enough for sunny bright days.
2022-1-17
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

I've shied away from Android as it seems that Fly is really programmed for I devices so now looking at iPhone 11, XRXS Max. All quite big enough for my purpose and you don't need an adapter!!
2022-1-24
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

cheddar-man Posted at 1-24 10:47
I've shied away from Android as it seems that Fly is really programmed for I devices so now looking at iPhone 11, XRXS Max. All quite big enough for my purpose and you don't need an adapter!!

Why do you think it's "programmed for i devices"?

The Smart Controller - hardware sold by DJI specifically to run the Fly app - runs Android.

Also, the SDK for their drones is usually redheaded fir Android before iOS... Suggesting DJI tend to learn towards Android there as well.

There are fewer devices running iOS as they are all made by Apple, so it is easier to qualify an application against all services that run a version of iOS. The number of different devices running Android is in the thousands... DJI are never going to test all of them and so can't guarantee the so will run on then all.

Their approach of only 'approving' a few devices does seem silly, though. A recommended spec list would seem like a better approach, but again they wouldn't be able to give guarantees for every device that meet the specs as there would still be hardware differences.

(btw I develop for Android so have some experience navigating this minefield).

-N.O.T.

-N.O.T.
2022-1-24
Use props
Abel nt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77398 ft
Spain

My experience :
Delete fly app
Install litchi
Use any android phone or tablet
2022-1-24
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

Samsung Galaxy S4 tablet, 4GB memory 64GB storage same processor as a Note 8 which also runs DJI Fly without issues but appears to have been dropped from the DJI List along with ALL other phones below a Galaxy S10. I just tested the S4 tablet with DJI Fly 1.5.8 works fine, my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 version, not so much. I did get DJI Fly 1.5.4 installed on a ZTE 971 phone, 1.8GB memory, 16GB Storage with 15.4GB used... I use it to fly Tello drones.

As it stands after the Android update to 12 I've updated DJI GO4 4.3.46 and DJI Fly 1.5.8 on everything, everything appears to be working, Litchi always worked.
tab1.jpg
tab.jpg
2022-1-24
Use props
WaterMaster
lvl.3
United States

kSetuni Posted at 2021-6-30 08:10
sadly it appears they are out of stock on that one.

ASUS Zenpad Z8s ZT582KL 16GB, Wi-Fi + 4G, (Verizon) 7.9 inch Tablet - Slate Gray

$55
Ebay
2022-1-24
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Just picked up an iPhone XR for a song, PERFECT!! No adapter needed, light, fits in the hand.
2022-1-30
Use props
djiuser_tDRCbugUhs1b
New
Flight distance : 225039 ft
United Kingdom

videoeditman Posted at 2021-3-23 06:38

I have a Samsung A51s and a Samsung tab s4. Couldn't find the dji fly app on google play. (02.2022). I downloaded it from the dji website but both my phone and tablet was unable to open it. Found it on Galaxy store and it runs fine on devices. OK if you have Samsung
2022-2-10
Use props
Lord Antony
lvl.2
Russia

djiuser_tDRCbugUhs1b Posted at 2-10 13:35
I have a Samsung A51s and a Samsung tab s4. Couldn't find the dji fly app on google play. (02.2022). I downloaded it from the dji website but both my phone and tablet was unable to open it. Found it on Galaxy store and it runs fine on devices. OK if you have Samsung

DJI Fly in Galaxy Store has version 1.4.0, which is very old and doesn't work on many new devices.

The only way to get the most recent version is to download it from the DJI site.
2022-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules