Both my Osmo Action's overheat in March 2021
4434 19 2021-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HDWarrior
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is March 2021 has there not been a fix for the overheating problem on the Osmo Action filming 4K 50P mine shuts down after 30m and is boiling hot and cuts off the WiFi just before shutdown. I have 2 units one with FW 10.00.40 and the other with the last FW now updated to latest FW both shut down and overheat after 30m.

2021-3-19
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

FW .10.00.40 released the temp threshold, saying that did not help out?
2021-3-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, HDWarrior. Thanks for reaching out! It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time especially when shooting high-resolution and high-framerate video.  If it reaches the ceiling temperature, it will turn off itself to avoid scalding. As already been mentioned by Fishycomics, you can adjust the Temperature Threshold but please be advised that the extended shooting time would depend on the combined factors of shooting resolution, ambient temperature, and the Osmo Action's current temperature.  
2021-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

ceiling temp,s and scalding.  could you  tell us the xact temps of threshold Low, and exact temp of threshold high. we  all here do understand the technical terms you can offer,
2021-3-20
Use props
HDWarrior
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

All written on my blog at https://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/2021 ... fter-35m-at-4k-50p/
2021-3-20
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

sd card, ambra chi, and battery, in a enclosed water housed camera. will produce greater heat.. remove the battery, and use a power bank the heat be less .

GoPros do the same xact thing and their chip is a GP! , also a Ambra, so heat is nothing new to cameras.
2021-3-20
Use props
skysailor64
lvl.4
United States

This might help.  The latest version of the Tilta all metal cage for the Osmo Action actually has a silicon contact patch that transfers heat from the Osmo heat sink to the metal cage.  This might solve your problem.  Both the camera and cage are new to me but I have noticed the cage heating up during use.
2021-3-20
Use props
HDWarrior
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Skysailor its a good option but the question lies with DJI bringing out a product that's not fit for purpose.
2021-3-20
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

I believe it is more of a manufacturing/quality control problem than a design one, so not all Osmo Actions are like that. I have used my OA many times to record over 40 minutes of non stop 4K60 videos, on  a tripod (minimum airflow). And that is in a tropical climate. Never had a heat related shutdown. The lens cover gets disturbingly hot, but I guess there is an effective heath path resulting in below threshold temperatures at the processor. Some people seem to have heat related problems within minutes with their units...
2021-3-20
Use props
HDWarrior
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the feed]back but I don't think DJI will offer me 2 replacements.
2021-3-21
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

HDWarrior Posted at 3-21 00:17
Thanks for the feed]back but I don't think DJI will offer me 2 replacements.

You're welcome If you take a video of them overheating very early at reasonable ambient temperatures and send it to DJI, they might at least service them (maybe replace the thermal pads/paste etc.) But I guess even if they accept to do that, you will have to send them away (to Netherlands I assume)

By the way I have read GoPro is way worse; stopping recording when it feels like it without any warning and giving people a lot of grief. I believe that is why DJI does not seem too worried about the flaws of the OA
2021-3-21
Use props
HDWarrior
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes having had a GoPro the Osmo Action was a good second choice when it appeared. Yet I have had early GoPros that performed well producing time lapse footage over many weeks.
2021-3-21
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

may I suggest try a better card, that may not trigger as much heat.  that is part of the problem.
2021-3-22
Use props
HDWarrior
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use SanDisk Extreme 64 or 128GB V30 U3 cards...I notice at a cost you can get V60 and V90 cards...I will give a V60 card a try.
2021-3-22
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

I have sandisks, they are  the general card of yesterday. I use Samsung, but  like said its part of the issue.   
2021-3-22
Use props
djiuser_LtG3bl3dtyXc
New

India

My DJI OSMO Action Camera gets heated up while shooting on 1080P 30s. And automatically shuts down after a while.
2021-7-26
Use props
Hdrider
lvl.1
Belgium

My DJI OSMO Action Camera gets heated
I have 3 lens covers so far and al 3 broken. Just video recorded outside and in the living room.
DJI
2021-7-29
Use props
KUNG_FU_PANSA
lvl.1

Italy

Hi everybody! I have a problem with my new osmo action. I can record only 6 minutes before the camera shutted down for the high temperature. I record in 4K 60 fps. I talk with the official assistance in chat and they said to replace the camera. Yesterday arrived the new one and the problem was the same. I talk again with the assistance and they told me to change the level of the camera temperature threshold to high and set the sleep auto screen for a long time. I try with this setting and I recorded 26 minutes but the camera was really hot. The obiettive ring was untouchables and for this registration I used the 70% of the battery. Temp ambient 34 C. But i am worried that recording with these high temperatures will not damage the cam or battery or sd card, what do you think? I try anoter sd card but is the same (sandisk extreme pro)
2021-8-9
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

As we talked about fake SDXC cards. also about how we shoot vids, try a different card, at your expense  Bat creates Heat, sd card creates heat and chip creats heat. also using hte mimo app creates heat, as well front screen or backscreen left on.
2021-8-9
Use props
djiuser_NMAPwritDIe0
New

Hungary

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-20 00:31
Hi, HDWarrior. Thanks for reaching out! It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time especially when shooting high-resolution and high-framerate video.  If it reaches the ceiling temperature, it will turn off itself to avoid scalding. As already been mentioned by Fishycomics, you can adjust the Temperature Threshold but please be advised that the extended shooting time would depend on the combined factors of shooting resolution, ambient temperature, and the Osmo Action's current temperature.

Due to overheating, the insulation is released.  Because of this, Osmo was in the underwater case, it also soaked to a depth of 40 meters .  Clearly constructive, a flaw in the DJI.  Now the osmo can go in to the trash.
2021-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules