Artifacts and sped up sections
903 2 2015-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EdgyMedia
lvl.4

Japan

Hi all,
I went out and shot this yesterday. (After an almost two month break due primarily to weather, and partially to an overzealous news media in Japan.)
I noticed there was some fairly horrific artifacting particularly around the retimed (sped up) video. Is this due to the nature of the beast (compressed original video) or is FCPX messing with me?

Thoughts appreciated!
(I shot LOG 0,-1,-1) Quite windy, but no problems at all.

2015-7-13
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hmmm, if the artifacts are accentuated in the sped of footage it certainly suggests they are being created by that process, not the original footage.

When you start a project do you use the default settings which force it to move to ProRes, or do you override them to stay in H.264?

I'm guessing you stay in ProRes, which should be fine.   

Then you need to look at how you are retiming the footage.   Try using FRAME BLENDING or better yet OPTICAL FLOW in the clip retiming area.

Also be sure to compare those moments with the original footage to confirm they weren't there to begin with.

Hope this helps!
2015-7-13
Use props
EdgyMedia
lvl.4

Japan

jimhare Posted at 2015-7-14 08:06
Hmmm, if the artifacts are accentuated in the sped of footage it certainly suggests they are being c ...

Yep, I've been using the default to ProRes. I'll take a look at the retiming options and give those a shot. It is sometimes a bit frustrating to work with the 4K video in FCPX, the playback is a sampled down version so it is a little difficult to tell what the output will look like. (I may have to spring for a nice new 5K imac...)
Thanks for the advice Jim!!
2015-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules