Mini 2 wind resistance with Mini 1 battery
2067 15 2021-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Mini 2 specification states that max wind resistance is 8.5-10.5 m/s. Does that mean that it can handle up to 8.5 m/s with Mini 1 battery and up to 10.5 m/s with original Mini 2 battery?
2021-3-21
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini 2 has different motors to the Mini.
2021-3-21
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Serbia

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 3-21 13:19
Mini 2 has different motors to the Mini.

Sure, but why is DM2 max wind resistance displayed as a range between 8.5 and 10.5 m/s and MM1 max wind resistance is displayed as a single value of 8 m/s.
2021-3-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 3-21 13:53
Sure, but why is DM2 max wind resistance displayed as a range between 8.5 and 10.5 m/s and MM1 max wind resistance is displayed as a single value of 8 m/s.

Does that mean that it can handle up to 8.5 m/s with Mini 1 battery and up to 10.5 m/s with original Mini 2 battery?
No .. the wind resistance would be exactly the same with either battery.
The only factor that would affect wind resistance is the speed the drone can fly and swapping batteries doesn't change the drone's speed.

why is DM2 max wind resistance displayed as a range between 8.5 and 10.5 m/s and MM1 max wind resistance is displayed as a single value of 8 m/s.
It makes no sense that they used a range.
You would have to ask DJI.
2021-3-21
Use props
dingo_do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 78780 ft
United Kingdom

I'm guessing... but as the battery drains the available voltage drops so maybe they are saying that it's 10.5m/s when the battery is full and supplying the highest voltage but that it drops to 8.5m/s as the battery drains.
2021-3-21
Use props
delf67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 379449 ft
United Kingdom

That would also mean the maximum speed would decrease with the battery level/ voltage, but it doesn't.
2021-3-21
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

The range given corresponds to the definition of number 5 wind in Beaufort Wind Force Scale (not exact, but significantly close). I believe this is the only reason there is a range in the specs...

And when it comes to naming, I guess "Level 5 wind resistance" sounds better for marketing than "Fresh breeze resistance" (which is the description in the scale); so they did well

2021-3-21
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

CemAygun Posted at 3-21 19:16
The range given corresponds to the definition of number 5 wind in Beaufort Wind Force Scale (not exact, but significantly close)... I believe this is why there is a range in the specs. from.

And when it comes to naming; I guess "Level 5 wind resistance" sounds better for marketing than "Fresh breeze resistance" (which is the description in the scale); so they did well

Consider the Mini 1 is heavier. Heavier means heavier payload equals less performance.
Lighter battery mini 2 better performance.
2021-3-21
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Donut Michigan Posted at 3-21 19:52
Consider the Mini 1 is heavier. Heavier means heavier payload equals less performance.

My theory is that the range instead of a single number in the specs has nothing to do with Mini 1 battery or the performance of Mini 2 with it. It is given as a range to conform to "Level 5 wind resistance" claim

Well, we can only be sure if DJI replies...
2021-3-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dingo_do Posted at 3-21 16:35
I'm guessing... but as the battery drains the available voltage drops so maybe they are saying that it's 10.5m/s when the battery is full and supplying the highest voltage but that it drops to 8.5m/s as the battery drains.

I'm guessing...
Your guess is incorrect.
Your drone performs just as well with a full battery as it does down at 20%.
If you were right, no-one would be able to fly their drones home because they would be too slow.
2021-3-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 3-21 13:53

why is DM2 max wind resistance displayed as a range between 8.5 and 10.5 m/s

>>>Mystery solved<<<

Actually the reason DJI gives the wind resistance for the Mavic Mini as: 8.5-10.5 m/s (Scale 5)
It's because of sloppy technical writing/translation or proofreading.

When they show Scale 5, that's a Chinese way to express wind strength.
It comes from the Beaufort Scale and on that scale a wind of Force 5 happens to be between 17-21 knots.
That just happens to be 8.7-10.8 metres/sec.
It's also referred to as a fresh breeze.

The actual wind resistance would be a single number and not a range.

2021-3-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Donut Michigan Posted at 3-21 19:52

Performance is related to the total weight of the drone and has nothing to do with the weight of the battery.
But it's much more influenced by the power of the drone.
The Mini and Mini 2 are two different drones of similar weight but with different props and motors.
2021-3-21
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Philippines

Labroides Posted at 3-21 21:17
why is DM2 max wind resistance displayed as a range between 8.5 and 10.5 m/s

>>>Mystery solved

So I recon you agree with all my findings then? Good to have you on board

Cheers,

PS: I have to admit I really disagree with you about calling their numbers a conversion / translation / and worst, a "chinese" error though... I believe they had their reasons for those exact, albeit slightly off numbers.
2021-3-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CemAygun Posted at 3-21 21:46
So I recon you agree with all my findings then? Good to have you on board  

Cheers,

The numbers are close enough .. I don't care about them, and I never called it an error.
I just pointed out how the range originated.

A proper technical writer would have made it make more sense to readers of the English version.
In the original Chinese text, it would have just said a Force 5 or Scale 5 wind.
Someone translating that to English just spelled out what a Force 5 wind is, rather than checking with the technical people to find out what the actual wind resistance was.
2021-3-21
Use props
Tuxtard
lvl.4
Serbia

Ok so we currently know that:

- Mini 2 specs show wind resistance in Beaufort Scale Force 5 range
- Mini 1 battery has lower nominal voltage of 7.2V compared to Mini 2 battery 7.7V
- Mini 1 battery is 20 grams heavier than Mini 2 battery

What we don't know for sure is if these weight and voltage differences affect the flight performance and wind resistance in any way and we don't know the exact wind resistance value of Mini 2.

@DJI please answer these following questions:
1. Does Mini 1 battery in Mini 2 affect flight performance and wind resistance?
2. What is the actual wind resistance value of Mini 2?

This information is crucial when planning flights to prevent flyaways and other accidents.
2021-3-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Tuxtard Posted at 3-24 01:30
Ok so we currently know that:

- Mini 2 specs show wind resistance in Beaufort Scale Force 5 range

What we don't know for sure is if these weight and voltage differences affect the flight performance and wind resistance in any way and we don't know the exact wind resistance value of Mini 2.

You are overthinking things.
The weight and voltage differences make no difference to the drone's ability to deal with wind.
The only thing that matters is the max speed of the drone (and the battery weight and voltage don't have any effect on max speed).

2. What is the actual wind resistance value of Mini 2?
This information is crucial when planning flights to prevent flyaways and other accidents.
First, there's no such thing as a "flyaway".
And you know what the drone's maximum speed is so can work out how it will be affected by wind.
That's all you need to know.

2021-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules