Which is the cheapest iPhone for Virtual Flight ...?
4813 26 2021-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I think that for an FPV newbie like me it is very important to practice M-Mode with a "real" simulator (incl. DJI goggles) ...

Since DJI is obviously not even concerned with developing such a simulator for me, the typical Android user (see: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... a=page%3D1%26filter % 3Dtypeid% 26typeid% 3D767% 26typeid% 3D767), I would like to ask experienced iOS users which iPhone I should get so that I can avoid unnecessary crashes (because of my inexperience) ...

I don't want to switch completely from Android to iOS, but I think it will be "cheaper" to get a used iPhone than to crash the DJI FPV drone several times ...

Therefore my honest question:
Which iPhone fulfills the requirements for the DJI Virtual Flight App in order to practice with it (without any problems) using the RC and the goggles ...

Thanks in advance
Frank

2021-3-21
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204222 ft
  • >>>
Lithuania

You can practice as well on PC screen as goggles.

But iPad 6th gen runs this max settings and it’s cheaper than the iphone. Or iphone 8.

2021-3-21
Use props
fansa67c0f47
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427592 ft
France

The manual says minimum requirement is iPhone 7 Plus. My regular iPhone 7 does the job perfectly.
2021-3-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Frank. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. The DJI Virtual Flight Application is compatible with iOS version v11.0 and later. Thank you.
2021-3-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would say an iPhone 6s Plus is the way to go and use this as the drones screen also
2021-3-21
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Originalas Posted at 3-21 10:36
You can practice as well on PC screen as goggles.

But iPad 6th gen runs this max settings and it’s cheaper than the iphone. Or iphone 8.

Thank You a lot!     
2021-3-21
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

fansa67c0f47 Posted at 3-21 13:29
The manual says minimum requirement is iPhone 7 Plus. My regular iPhone 7 does the job perfectly.

Oh, that helps me a lot! I also want to buy "cheap" ...      
2021-3-21
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-21 19:31
Hello there Frank. Good day and thank you for the inquiry. The DJI Virtual Flight Application is compatible with iOS version v11.0 and later. Thank you.

Good to know.
I will definitely find something there. Thank you!
2021-3-21
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Bigplumbs Posted at 3-21 22:59
I would say an iPhone 6s Plus is the way to go and use this as the drones screen also

Thank you, thank you very much!
I don't want to make a bad buy, I've always "only" used Android ...   
2021-3-21
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Thank you very much to everyone !!!   

Of course I would like to practice with the original DJI FPV Combo accessories ...

Wearing the goggles is something "special" because you can forget everything else that is going on in the room ...
My aim is to feel as if the DJI FPV drone is flying, simulated in the best possible way, so to speak ...
It is also important to me to use all buttons etc. pp. on the original RC, as well as "in the fresh air" ...

Of course I would have been happy if DJI had made the simulator available for Android ...
As it is, I would still like to test the M-Mode in reality as soon as possible, but without diligent practice (at home) it would most likely be much, much more expensive (... once it crashed) ...

Thanks!

Frank

2021-3-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

frankymusik Posted at 3-21 23:14
Good to know.
I will definitely find something there. Thank you!

Hi there Frank. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. Again thank you for supporting DJI and keep flying.
2021-3-24
Use props
Alex Zhang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 917848 ft
Canada

If you have a PC just go to Steam and buy liftoff. Use this software to practice and there is a custom workshop drone name DJI FPV to simulate the performance of the DJI drone.
Do not waste your money buying an IOS device, this software is only $15.
2021-3-24
Use props
Winkle
lvl.2
Canada

Hey Frank, I was a total quadcopter drone newb, zero experience and never owned a previous DJI product before. Bought the FPV Drone combo, and Liftoff on Steam and have been practicing in Liftoff using the DJI Remote Controller 2.

After practicing and learning in Liftoff for a number of hours, I finally took the actual FPV drone out to try it out for real... did one flight in Normal mode, one 3 minute flight in Sports mode and jumped straight into M mode after that with the attitude limiter turned off... first M mode flight I was zipping around without any real issues, second M mode flight I was doing aileron rolls and power loops... the experience from Liftoff translates very well and from what I've, is vastly superior to using DJI's virtual flight. Not having the goggles for Liftoff isn't a real issue and it makes flying for real with the goggles extra special.
2021-3-24
Use props
elloh7
New
United States

I have a 12.9in 2020 model iPad pro that I'm using (or trying to). since app is intended for an iphone, the displayed area is small, and blurry when the 'zoom' button is tapped. My biggest gripe is that the app runs fine on the ipad, but the video in the goggles is extremely glitchy/flickery. It's enough to make me motion sick, and I'm not a HMD newb, I've been "under the hood" in VR on my pc for hours on end without much trouble.

I have no idea what the problem is. I've tried two cables (DJI supplied cable with the drone, and an anker cable that I know supports data. The glitchy flickery mess is present no matter what. Based on reviews of this app in the app store, I'm thinkin android users should be glad they don't have to waste time with it.

Edit: I'm going to add, I tried it on my work phone (iPhone8)  and it ran just fine. Looked fine in the goggles as well, no glichty mess. Perhaps the detail and textures were worse, but I'd expect that from a less powerful device.
2021-3-25
Use props
ApoIIo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36860 ft
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 3-21 22:59

I can confirm that my Iphone 6S crashes every time the app launches. Phone is in perfect working order =(
2021-3-25
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

See my current experiences here:
... the result...

2021-3-27
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Winkle Posted at 3-24 12:01
Hey Frank, I was a total quadcopter drone newb, zero experience and never owned a previous DJI product before. Bought the FPV Drone combo, and Liftoff on Steam and have been practicing in Liftoff using the DJI Remote Controller 2.

After practicing and learning in Liftoff for a number of hours, I finally took the actual FPV drone out to try it out for real... did one flight in Normal mode, one 3 minute flight in Sports mode and jumped straight into M mode after that with the attitude limiter turned off... first M mode flight I was zipping around without any real issues, second M mode flight I was doing aileron rolls and power loops... the experience from Liftoff translates very well and from what I've, is vastly superior to using DJI's virtual flight. Not having the goggles for Liftoff isn't a real issue and it makes flying for real with the goggles extra special.

DRL sim is better and cheaper.
Basically, it simulates all DJI modes: Normal, Sport, Manual with Limit and full Manual Acro. Plus has many way better tutorials than the official DJI app.

2021-3-28
Use props
Winkle
lvl.2
Canada

Originalas Posted at 3-28 00:29
DRL sim is better and cheaper.  
Basically, it simulates all DJI modes: Normal, Sport, Manual with Limit and full Manual Acro. Plus has many way better tutorials than the official DJI app.

From what I've been read by users of both program, DRL simulator is better to learn drone racing, while Liftoff is superior for acro.

I think either software is probably just fine to learn Manual with. I'm using Liftoff myself and am enjoying it immensely and there are downloadable custom drones from Steam Workshop for Liftoff that people have made that are very close to the DJI FPV Drone.
2021-3-28
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

Winkle Posted at 3-28 17:39
From what I've been read by users of both program, DRL simulator is better to learn drone racing, while Liftoff is superior for acro.

I think either software is probably just fine to learn Manual with. I'm using Liftoff myself and am enjoying it immensely and there are downloadable custom drones from Steam Workshop for Liftoff that people have made that are very close to the DJI FPV Drone.

I use both. Even done a video why I recommend DRL over Litfoff for beginners.

The main difference, Liftoff offers just the flying bit.. there DRL has close to 100 tutorial lessons instead just 6 sub part tutorials in the DJI phone app.. and DRL tutorial part is the best drone training ever created. They cover everything from starting with toy drone in "DJI normal" equivalent controls to advanced acro racing techniques.

There liftoff does not teach you anything.. just throws you straight in the acro mode which is very bad for beginners. You will waste tons of time learning to fly yourself and reinventing techniques by yourself, maybe even unteaching all bad habbits you will learn.. there DRL teaches you all the correct techniques from the beginning and when you can fly freestyle by yourself. DRL offers way bigger and cooler maps for that too. It just a way higher production game. There liftoff really is just an indie title.
This is why DJI app feels just like a mobile arcade game.. coming from a proper PC sim.

2021-3-29
Use props
cootertwo
lvl.4
United States

I use Tracphone as my provider, and bought an iPhone 7 black from them for $200 with 30 days service. Took awhile to "activate" the iPhone, but got her going, and was able to activate my DJI FPV drone and goggles, even before the phone service had been activated. And after using this iPhone for a little while, I see it has a few advantages over Android. FAST, reliable, well built little piece of equipment.
2021-4-1
Use props
ApoIIo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36860 ft
Australia

Minimum iPhone is an iPhone 7
I can confirm after trying 3 different iPhone 6 and 6s they crash when running the DJI app.

I downloaded Drone racing league on steam $15 dollarbucks.
It’s been great for learning how to fly in manual.

Apollo.
2021-4-1
Use props
Originalas
lvl.4
  • >>>
Lithuania

So how is the training going?

2021-4-5
Use props
HeliDude
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-21 19:31

I have IOS version 12 on my IPad mini 2 and it doesn't work. Is it too old of a device?
2021-4-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

HeliDude Posted at 4-6 10:37
I have IOS version 12 on my IPad mini 2 and it doesn't work. Is it too old of a device?

Hi there HeliDude. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for these information you have posted. Upon checking the said mobile device ( iPad Mini 2 ) that your are trying to use on the DJI DJI Virtual Flight application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the  said application. DJI would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Virtual Flight application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPad Mini 2 will be able to work on the DJI Virtual Flight application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the said DJI application. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Virtual Flight. Thank you.

2021-4-6
Use props
HeliDude
lvl.1

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 4-6 22:14
Hi there HeliDude. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for these information you have posted. Upon checking the said mobile device ( iPad Mini 2 ) that your are trying to use on the DJI DJI Virtual Flight application. I am sorry to say that the said mobile device is not recommended for the  said application. DJI would suggest using a recommended mobile device for the DJI Virtual Flight application for compatibility and reliability purposes. There is a possibility that the iPad Mini 2 will be able to work on the DJI Virtual Flight application. But however, since it's not yet optimized with the said application we cannot guaranteed if it will work all the time and if it will be able to run all the functions of the said DJI application. For reference I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Virtual Flight. Thank you.

[view_image]

Thank you for your reply. Will look into new ipads.
2021-4-7
Use props
Paraski40
lvl.3

Canada

Alex Zhang Posted at 2021-3-24 11:43
If you have a PC just go to Steam and buy liftoff. Use this software to practice and there is a custom workshop drone name DJI FPV to simulate the performance of the DJI drone.
Do not waste your money buying an IOS device, this software is only $15.

Why using liftoff with the DJI FPV add-on in D mode, the altitude is drifting like no GPS
2022-4-25
Use props
FluffyNL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 441926 ft
Netherlands

Winkle Posted at 2021-3-28 17:39

I have drl on playstation ,but i dont seem to be able to connect the fpv remote from the combo kit
2022-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules