Smooth panning like with the Weebill S?
2285 2 2021-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mart
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi, I've come from using the Weebill S to now using the RSC2 and so far have found the smoothness in panning in Pan Follow mode to be vastly inferior to the Weebill S (gave up on the Weebill S because they were so bad at maintaining level footage).

In my case, I'm exclusively filming video walkthroughs of properties, the entire interior in one continuous shot, so it involves lots of twists and turns.  the Weebill S was brilliant at smoothing my inconsistent turns and hiding the rate of change of angles introduced by my movements, I never realised just how good until I got the Ronin RSC2. I'm disappointed to find there isn't even a smoothness setting for the gimbal as far as I can tell, other than for the control joystick and that's not what I want and wouldn't help with the gimbal responding to my own movements anyway.

For instance, I will enter through a room doorway and pan a little, that bit can be fine, but then traverse across to the other corner of the room and need to turn to face the other way, now it seems the gimbal, even at its slowest setting is not smooth enough, the ramp from not panning to getting up to whatever pan speed it has decided it needs to get to is too short and is noticeable in the footage, especially when it is sped up in post as I do for all the bits in between the interesting shots. Another example being a pan of say 90 degrees (or more, or even less), if I don't get that pan nice and steady, then that shows up in the gimbal movement in a way that it never did with the Weebill S, that gimbal was way better damped.

So, am I missing something? How do we get the gimbal to go from not panning to panning with your movement, more smoothly and to pan smoothly and mask your imperfections? I don't want it to respond so abruptly to every slight change I make, the job of the gimbal should be to hide those human inconsistencies, not faithfully reproduce them back into the footage! I have tried changing the deadband, but that mainly delays the start of the too abrupt ramp from not moving to moving at its chosen speed.

I was so happy to not have to correct the unlevel footage from the Weebill in post, but the non-smooth Ronin footage is something I can't even fix in post.

Currently I have my Pan follow settings as;

Follow Speed; Slow
Deadband; all set to 2

What else can you even change?

The option under 'Control' presumably are for the joystick? But I've set the motion in there all to Deadband - Low, Max Speed - Slow and Smoothness - 30. The same for each of Pan, Tilt and Roll, but I don't think those settings affect the gimbal response to the movement of the gimbal?

Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming.

Mart

2021-3-21
Use props
dansel77
lvl.1
Germany

i have the same issue with the gimbal and with nobody answering to my post...
Slow Response Time-Bug or Feature? | DJI FORUM

Did you solve the problem?
2021-7-8
Use props
Mart
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dansel77 Posted at 2021-7-8 04:19
i have the same issue with the gimbal and with nobody answering to my post...
Slow Response Time-Bug or Feature? | DJI FORUM

Only just seen this, no didn't ever solve the problem, unfortunately. I ended up buying the RS2, which I have completely happy with while using it with my Nikon z6, but I have wobble issue with that now with a heavier Sony A7S3 and a 16-35mm lens - this set up is heavier than the Nikon.
2022-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules