Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mapping mission without photos and with free gimbal?
3803 16 2021-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
heistema
lvl.1

Germany

Hi there,

I just bought a Mavic 2 Enterprise DUAL and a SmartController so I am using DJI Pilot and I am a newbie ;-). I am planning to use it to rescue roe deer fawns from the mower.

So far I have drawn some polygons onto some meadows using Google Earth Pro and exported them as *.kml files. I got them succesfully imported into Mission Flight using Mapping mode. I set my overlapping settings, angle, etc. and get a perfect grid (for my purposes) over the meadow. Also the flight works perfectly.

But I am struggling with two problems:
  • It would be awesome if I can stop the drone somehow from taking pictures
  • And I really would need to rotate my gimbal (cameras) freely

Somehow I only can move the camera up and down and NOT left and right and also the camera then automatically positions itself slowly back in a face down position (again).

Is there any possibility to achieve this? Or is my mission planning flawed (Google Earth, kml, Mapping mode, ...)?

Thanks for your help in advance
2021-3-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hopefully this might help -
2021-3-23
Use props
heistema
lvl.1

Germany

Thanks for your reply :-)

So a waypoint mission seems to allow me to move the gimbal "manually" but a mapping mission does not. I mean of course this makes sense, but the mapping mode without photos and a free gimbal (e.g. by introducing a new photo mode as an alternative to "Timed Interval") would be the perfect tool for such rescue missions.

Is there a way to request a feature? I mean basically this even would be a removal of features (if a certain mode or option is active)?
2021-3-27
Use props
djiuser_NQbKIFMQjFW5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348251 ft
Netherlands

heistema Posted at 3-27 07:32
Thanks for your reply :-)

So a waypoint mission seems to allow me to move the gimbal "manually" but a mapping mission does not. I mean of course this makes sense, but the mapping mode without photos and a free gimbal (e.g. by introducing a new photo mode as an alternative to "Timed Interval") would be the perfect tool for such rescue missions.

HI. I have the same Question.
Mission flight without automtic  pictures.
Pure mission and a free camera.
Is that possible DJI ?
2021-5-22
Use props
Flygrl
lvl.2
Germany

djiuser_NQbKIFMQjFW5 Posted at 5-22 10:23
HI. I have the same Question.
Mission flight without automtic  pictures.
Pure mission and a free camera.

There seem to be two possible workarounds:

- before you start the mission, set camera to video, not photo, and start recording. That will create a video recording, but no photos will be shot during the mission.
- set the Photo save location to SD-Card, but remove the SD card. It seems that the MEA doesn't complain but will just not create Photos during mission.
2021-5-25
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

I will try this. Many thanks for your answert
2021-5-25
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

Mission flying without AUTOMATIC recording is not included in the software.  we pay €6000 for this tool to track fawns on tr and can't do anything with "mission flying".  The image is continuously interrupted by the camera taking unnecessary shots.  Sorry Dji what a worthless software for such an expensive device.  Solve this immediately otherwise this will cost you a lot of customers for this drone.
They read this comment too
2021-5-28
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

Flygrl Posted at 5-25 04:53

- before you start the mission, set camera to video, not photo, and start recording. That will create a video recording, but no photos will be shot during the mission.
Sorry is not working in the way you discribe. You are right about the video mode but no free control over the camera.
2021-5-28
Use props
Flygrl
lvl.2
Germany

Ariebaas Posted at 5-28 02:38
Sorry is not working in the way you discribe

You can see in this video, from around 2min, how recording mode is changed to video during the mission:

2021-5-30
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

Flygrl Posted at 5-30 02:47
You can see in this video, from around 2min, how recording mode is changed to video during the mission:

https://youtu.be/LGtk2ynEE1k?t=120
Nice video.  When you interrupt the mission, I can't steer the drone above the spot to zoom in.  can you explain what you do when you temporarily interrupt the mission?
2021-5-31
Use props
Ariebaas
lvl.2
Netherlands

Flygrl Posted at 5-30 02:47

https://youtu.be/LGtk2ynEE1k?t=120

Nice video.  When you interrupt the mission, I can't steer the drone above the spot to zoom in.  can you explain what you do when you temporarily interrupt the mission?
2021-5-31
Use props
Sinclair77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36047 ft
Germany

Any updates on this topic?

Last season we've used the SD card workaround. It worked, but it I still think it's unpractical. I've tried various kml settings, but they didn't work.
Having to stop and re-upload the mission to manually fly the drone is probably the most annoying issue. I wished, pausing the mission would be sufficient.

I've raised a support call one year ago - no solution - got noted as a feature request, but I've never received a feeback since then.
2022-4-25
Use props
pspec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2570446 ft
Switzerland

Hi
If you stop/cancel the mission, you can fly the drone in any direction. After that you can start the mission again and continue from the last point.

I plan my missions with https://www.uaveditor.com. You can export a mission as KML for Pilot App.
2022-4-26
Use props
Sinclair77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36047 ft
Germany

Yes, I'm aware of that possibility..:
"Having to stop and re-upload the mission to manually fly the drone is probably the most annoying issue. I wished, pausing the mission would be sufficient."

On top you have to be careful with the rudder - afaik it doesn't steer back if you continue the mission.

I use google maps to draw the polygons and wrote my own kml parsing / split app, which adds all dji mission parameters and exports every polygon in its own kml - regardless how many layers or polygons your google map has. Works good so far. If I have some spare time, I'll try to make a webbased version... no programmer here
2022-5-11
Use props
djiuser_F13ZDiBm5w40
lvl.2

Ireland

Flygrl Posted at 2021-5-25 04:53

Trying this in. Matrice with Pilot, I get a misconfigured payload when I try to launch the mapping route.
2023-1-6
Use props
DerJoghurt
New

Germany

M3T, same request: Mapping mission without automatic pictures, please.
2023-6-13
Use props
djiuser_T9Zdk7yBOMrn
New

Netherlands

Dear all,

Please DJI make it work to do a mapping mission without taking pictures for mavic3T

Also: Is there a possibility to pause the mapping mission and take pictures/videos and also use the Zoom cam?
3-25 10:50
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules