DJI should make Cruise Control available in all video flight modes
3549 16 2021-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpabello
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5937569 ft
United States

DJI added Cruise Control recently to the list of options for the customizable button in the DJI Fly app, but only made it available in the Free Hyperlapse mode. Which makes senses because the Free Hyperlapse mode was almost unusable without it before.

However I wish DJI had also added Cruise Control to the other regular video flight modes, in order to enable flying at a constant speed without manually holding the right stick in the exact same position continuously, which is very hard (almost impossible) to do in practice.

Cruise Control would not only free the right hand while flying in the regular video modes, but would also allow for much smoother flights and much more professional looking videos.

Please vote below if you care about this issue. Thanks
Single SelectVote, Total 41 people participate in voting
97.56% (40)
2.44% (1)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2021-3-22
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I have Cruise Control on a non-DJI drone and it is very useful. I am not too optimistic about DJI adding it to the Mavic Air 2, they don’t seem to care about disappointing their customers and fans with long missing features, hiding behind boilerplate non-committal responses and market segmentation decisions.
2021-3-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there jpabello. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this poll. I hope that our DJI co pilots can give out there insights with regards to this matter. Thank you for your support and please stay safe always.
2021-3-22
Use props
DGCA3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 465062 ft
United States

Yes, I've always wanted that too, as well as having different speed settings. I figure putting it on cruise control at a very slow speed would look better than a hyperlapse when sped up, eliminating the herky jerkiness of assembling pics for motion.

But I can see why it may not be available. What if the drone is put on cruise control, and then something happens to the operator? The drone would just keep going unaided.
2021-3-22
Use props
fans8289ba11
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5937569 ft
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 3-22 22:11
Yes, I've always wanted that too, as well as having different speed settings. I figure putting it on cruise control at a very slow speed would look better than a hyperlapse when sped up, eliminating the herky jerkiness of assembling pics for motion.

But I can see why it may not be available. What if the drone is put on cruise control, and then something happens to the operator? The drone would just keep going unaided.

The drone will return to home automatically when the battery runs low, and APAS is available for additional safety. Also this is no different than the Cruise Control already available in hyperlapse mode.
2021-3-30
Use props
ranrick
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 8743645 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

Would love cruise control to be available even in other mavics like the mini 2 for example. Would save a lot of trouble and bring a smoother recording experience overall
2021-4-1
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

DGCA3 Posted at 3-22 22:11
Yes, I've always wanted that too, as well as having different speed settings. I figure putting it on cruise control at a very slow speed would look better than a hyperlapse when sped up, eliminating the herky jerkiness of assembling pics for motion.

But I can see why it may not be available. What if the drone is put on cruise control, and then something happens to the operator? The drone would just keep going unaided.

Its a great idea, but you would need to have a Dead Mans Button held down all the time once you have set the speed and let go of the stick. Should you then become unconscious you will let the button go and the aircraft could RTH or hover.
2021-8-6
Use props
djiuser_CDQFWmFmb4if
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5133369 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

2021-12-24
Use props
djiuser_CDQFWmFmb4if
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5133369 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I have the spark, pro platinum and mavic 2. They all have tap fly, and course lock on some. This, or cruise control, IS ESSENTIAL FOR PROPER CONTROL, SMOOTH VIDEO, OBSERVATION OF SUBJECTS, AND JUST GENERALLY MORE PLEASANT FLIGHT EXPERIENCE.
Please DJI, at the very least at tap fly, but even on the DJI fpv, the cruise control in sport mode is INCREDIBLY USEFUL.
There is no reason for removing it, so please, please, please, it is urgently needed. If old tech like the spark had it, it must be super easy.
At the same time, WHERE IS THE AIR 2Ss ABILITY TO USE THE FPV V2 GOGGLES. BOTH USE O3, PLEASE MAKE OUR DJI EXPERIENCE AS GOOD AS IT CAN BE, NOT A HOTCH POTCH OF MINIMUM FEATURES.
PLEASE!!
2021-12-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cruise control would be welcome here too, mavic mini, mini 2, M2P, P3Adv but at a guess it's not going to happen lol
2022-5-13
Use props
darcy.inventorartist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 958717 ft
Canada

I think this is a great suggestion.
On the weekend I was trying to film something by flying like a crab (a bit forward and a bit left). It was REALLY HARD to keep it smooth. I use a lanyard which helps a bit as your hands are just moving the sticks and not entirely holding up the tranmitter but it's still difficult.

Indexed Sticks:
When I used to fly model airplanes we had a throttle that would stay where you put it. It just clicked and the stick stayed where you put it, instead of springing back.

For control such as forward, sideways and yaw, it'd be tricky to do it that way since you need a good way to get back to the center.

Headless Modes:

On my old Phantom you could fly in a headless mode where you could rotate the machine anyway you want and then fly independent of that. It was a lot easier, I coudl just align the grid with where I'm going then put the drone at the right yaw position and I could now move smoothly forward only thinking about one axis.

I assumed this headless mode would be present when I got my Mini 2 and it wasn't.

Longer Sticks:

Another thing I thinking about is getting some longer sticks... or perhaps making my own. Does anybody know what thread size it is so I could get some longer sticks made? At least for the right stick (come think of it I used to have that when I flew model planes).

Cinema Mode:

I have been also thinking about going into cinema mode, then adjusting it so that I would need maximum stick input. Then I could jut push the stick to say full forward and full left and it's be the right amount. But of course if your subject is moving you're going to be spending all day to get the settings right. For a stationary subject this could be okay.

I really think the Mini could benefit from some more flying modes. Like the headless one from the Phantom. There was a circular/polar one too.

Physics Mode:

Or even a "acceleration mode" where when you press forward it does not set the speed but it accelerates. Once you reach the speed you want, you just release and it will hold at that speed. Like a ball in physics that has no friction but it has mass. And moving the sticks is like applying force to the mass (f=ma haha). To slow down you pull back till it reaches zero again or whatever speed and of course when you release it continues. It could do this on all of the axes. Of course the pause/stop button would stop the drone. So if things get too squirrely you could just hit the button (like we do already in the quickshots).
Third Party Software:

Third Party Software or Firmware:
Perhaps one of the other apps has or will have more flying modes?
2022-5-16
Use props
darcy.inventorartist
lvl.2
Canada

kyalami Posted at 2021-8-6 00:16
Its a great idea, but you would need to have a Dead Mans Button held down all the time once you have set the speed and let go of the stick. Should you then become unconscious you will let the button go and the aircraft could RTH or hover.

Oh, I like this idea. But what button could be used and still have hands free for operating both sticks and camera?

Will I have to grow another appendage?

Perhaps instead of a button you just shake the controller or something and it stops. Well I suppose that sounds like a great idea till you mount the controller on your bicycle or something.
2022-5-16
Use props
darcy.inventorartist
lvl.2
Canada

DGCA3 Posted at 2021-3-22 22:11
Yes, I've always wanted that too, as well as having different speed settings. I figure putting it on cruise control at a very slow speed would look better than a hyperlapse when sped up, eliminating the herky jerkiness of assembling pics for motion.

But I can see why it may not be available. What if the drone is put on cruise control, and then something happens to the operator? The drone would just keep going unaided.

I can see why this does add another bit of risk.

I'm sure there's an answer though as I saw other comments about other drones that have this feature.
2022-5-16
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

darcy.inventorartist Posted at 5-16 12:26
Oh, I like this idea. But what button could be used and still have hands free for operating both sticks and camera?

Will I have to grow another appendage?

Difficult if you need a finger to control something else. Yes either another hand or use a toe. Just joking.
2022-5-16
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I think "Cruise Control" would be very nice for doing videos, IF it gave a wide enough variation of speeds.
2022-6-19
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

DGCA3 Posted at 2021-3-22 22:11

A very good point, and one that is seldom considered.  Heart attacks do happen, people do get hit by Bicycles and automobiles, chased by wild animals, slip and fall - resulting in who knows what.  But of course, like raising children, you can NOT protect against everything that MAY happen.  Possible using one of the programable buttons as a "Dead Man's Switch" would be an answer?  
2022-6-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 2022-6-19 08:51
A very good point, and one that is seldom considered.  Heart attacks do happen, people do get hit by Bicycles and automobiles, chased by wild animals, slip and fall - resulting in who knows what.  But of course, like raising children, you can NOT protect against everything that MAY happen.  Possible using one of the programable buttons as a "Dead Man's Switch" would be an answer?

Not at all, if you bother to RTFM, you will see that it RTH upon signal disconnect or low battery.
2023-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules