DJI Fly now gone from Play Store
53574 78 2021-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Vladi Paredes Posted at 8-3 05:43
I recently bought the DJI Mini 2 and I have not used it as of yet... It is very frustrating that DJI is not offering the app in the Google Play Store! My phone is secured and I cannot install third party apps. Will they ever fix this situation? Or should I just give up on this drone and return it? Truthfully, I have never come across this from a big company like this... Frustrating!

Just allow 3rd party app installation, at least for this app. With the Flyapp it is better not to install it via Google Play anyway. Only the latest would be available there and it is often faulty.
2021-8-3
Use props
djiuser_mTRUnbqvqlVt
New

United States

delf67 Posted at 3-23 03:15
If you have ANY trust in Google, you are seriously misguided.

Google says it's fine...
2021-11-14
Use props
MBSL500
lvl.4
United States

delf67 Posted at 3-23 03:15
If you have ANY trust in Google, you are seriously misguided.

And if you have ANY trust in firmware developed by the communist Chinese..  you are even more misguided.
2021-11-14
Use props
Mark MaoGowan
lvl.2

Australia

I tried to download the latest today and install to my phone and all I get is 'App not installed'....WTF is this??
Substandard cr@p!!
2021-11-17
Use props
human1024
lvl.1
Australia

I just had to cancel my DJI Mini 2 order since I am prohibited from installing the DJI Fly app via side loading (security policy - I know how to sideload, but it's disallowed for good reason). Disappointing.

Please arrange for the DJI Fly app to be available/updated via the Play Store. Customers expect to be able install/update apps via their phone app store (and in some cases, like mine, it's required).

I can see DJI Fly has been continually released via the Apple App Store, latest was v1.5.1 on 2021-11-18. Why not make it easy for Android customers to use your products?
2021-11-24
Use props
Ray Ortega
New

United States

I just picked up my new DJI Mini2 yesterday and noticed the DJI fly app was not available on Google play and I realize most of the comments here are dated...however I was able to get some clarity from DJI and a friend who has been using DJI drones for quite sometime and is now Brand Ambassador for them.

The current issue isn't the DJI's inclusion on our Ban List, initiated by the Biden Administration , but to the apps packaging platform, I think they're using apk and Google is asking them to change to abb I believe.

Other DJI software applications are currently on Google Play....that said; no word on when and if DJI fly will be back on. But it is available to download off of DJIs website.
2021-12-24
Use props
IncredibleHat
New

United States

Ray Ortega Posted at 2021-12-24 18:23
I just picked up my new DJI Mini2 yesterday and noticed the DJI fly app was not available on Google play and I realize most of the comments here are dated...however I was able to get some clarity from DJI and a friend who has been using DJI drones for quite sometime and is now Brand Ambassador for them.

The current issue isn't the DJI's inclusion on our Ban List, initiated by the Biden Administration , but to the apps packaging platform, I think they're using apk and Google is asking them to change to abb I believe.

Now something like that said from a community moderator wouldn't have been so difficult, now would it?

They could have said: "We are having to change the frameworks to comply with google policy changes, this may take some time, please be patient with the update process."

Instead of essentially: "go download something from an outside source breaking security settings on your phone to do so" .... hmm.
--

I mean, I have both an iphone and a galaxy... and was able to get the App Store version on my iphone ok so I can at least USE this expensive drone. However my galaxy has a much larger screen which I wanted to use with the drone, but have run into this wall of "cant find the app". I am not going to sideload something to my galaxy. That aint gonna happen. I am already heavily skeptical of installing ANY app on 'android' OS as it is, theres no way I'm doing it in an even more sketchy way.
2022-1-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IncredibleHat Posted at 1-15 07:12
Now something like that said from a community moderator wouldn't have been so difficult, now would it?

They could have said: "We are having to change the frameworks to comply with google policy changes, this may take some time, please be patient with the update process."

I dont get the issue with sideloading, there is nothing bad about it from a trusted source, i have downloaded many apps on my Note models over the years and on my fire TV and my Galaxy tablets with 100% no issues whatsoever, I bet you've downloaded PC software from the developers site sometime in your life and not through the Windows store, just because Samsung has a small, inferior security on sideloading it scares you? Makes no sense at all. Side loading is just installing manually, that's it, nothing more, nothing less, just don't install something you found in an email or from a Russian site lol
2022-1-15
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

Buzzyone Posted at 2021-4-1 05:59
Until the EU sort themselves out there will be no certification for DJI or any other drone makers for that matter.

Say what ?
https://www.dji.com/dk/euro-compliance
2022-1-15
Use props
djiuser_7FX7tqkJf2VS
New
Flight distance : 4554 ft
Australia

What an absolute fail. My DJI Mini is now a paperweight ( I actually initially had the Google Play Store app but since DJI removed it from the app store it stopped working on my device. When I could still use my drone (which I paid good money for) I really thought that the quality of the software and the product really blows away the "meme" that products from China are crap. But here we are; the very epitome of the type of broad changes in policy that a Chinese company beholdent to a communist regime is able to make. Absolutely willing to sacrifice some of its paying customers because they don't fit into the majority iPhone world. Buyer beware! You would have to be a complete bloody idiot to even consider buying from DJI again!!
2022-1-24
Use props
djiuser_7FX7tqkJf2VS
New
Flight distance : 4554 ft
Australia

djiuser_7FX7tqkJf2VS Posted at 1-24 21:58
What an absolute fail. My DJI Mini is now a paperweight ( I actually initially had the Google Play Store app but since DJI removed it from the app store it stopped working on my device. When I could still use my drone (which I paid good money for) I really thought that the quality of the software and the product really blows away the "meme" that products from China are crap. But here we are; the very epitome of the type of broad changes in policy that a Chinese company beholdent to a communist regime is able to make. Absolutely willing to sacrifice some of its paying customers because they don't fit into the majority iPhone world. Buyer beware! You would have to be a complete bloody idiot to even consider buying from DJI again!!

In Australia I have lodged a complaint with the ACCC to warn the public about the need to bypass security controls in order to use DJI drones, which at best compromises your security and in a worst case scenario opens you up to potential  foreign government espionage. Here's hoping that they publish a consumer alert making customers aware of the consequences of donating money to DJI
2022-1-24
Use props
djiuser_zBGYxoic8rtd
lvl.1

Slovakia

I've been sideloading, since they stoped updating on Play store, as well and really hate it! It's an absolute shame the app is not on the store. It can only mean something shady is going on and DJI is not willing to comply with ever-strictening rules on the stores.

For the US ban - I'm quite sure this is not the problem. They have stoped even before they were added to the list and on Apple they still have an app (or some other apps on Play store for that matter).

I believe if they could go around Apple they would but the options are quite limited there.

Since the mini 2 is now supported by 3rd party apps like Litchi I think my DJI sideloading days are over anyway!
2022-1-30
Use props
djiuser_RCPenJoNn1zc
New

United States

I tried to download from their site and my phone just tells me it can't open the file. I'm using a Samnsung S20 FE 5G. So I am unable to install the app. I had the app before but it wouldn't run, just kept crashing the moment I tried to run it. So I uninstalled it and went on the play store to re-install it but you all know how that worked out. So my question remains, how do I fly my mavic air 2 now?
Update: I got the app I downloaded from DJI to install finally. Turns out I had to run the file from my files app and not my brower I used to download it. But it is working now.
2022-2-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_RCPenJoNn1zc Posted at 2-4 20:00
I tried to download from their site and my phone just tells me it can't open the file. I'm using a Samnsung S20 FE 5G. So I am unable to install the app. I had the app before but it wouldn't run, just kept crashing the moment I tried to run it. So I uninstalled it and went on the play store to re-install it but you all know how that worked out. So my question remains, how do I fly my mavic air 2 now?
Update: I got the app I downloaded from DJI to install finally. Turns out I had to run the file from my files app and not my brower I used to download it. But it is working now.

Set the phone to allow install of unknown apps, google that and you will have no issues
2022-2-4
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Good explanation, but not quite the full story.

Google still allow developers to upload their apps as .apk files, they do not insist on developers using 'App bundles - at least not yet.

I have a number of apps on Google Play and have published updates as .apk files as recently as last week.

Google are, however, encouraging developers to switch to App Bundles as they claim there are a number of advantages to this format. The main benefit for users being that download sizes are smaller.

The other difference, which worries some developers, is that you have to hand over app signing responsibility to Google.

With an apk file the developer signs the app themselves, but they have to keep the signing key secure themselves otherwise they cannot update their app.

With App Bundles Google does that signing and they store your signing key.

This is not the same as encryption, it is a method of ensuring app updates are legit, but some developers do not want to hand that over to Google.

-NOT
2022-2-5
Use props
lacibaci
Second Officer
Flight distance : 235682 ft
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-3-23 19:31
Hello and good day Peter Galbavy. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. You can try to download the said application using the following links https://www.dji.com/downloads?site=brandsite&from=footer and https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly or from our official website link at https://www.dji.com/dji-fly. Again I am sorry for this trouble and thank you for understanding.

Totally unhelpful reply. Why even respond if you don't want to provide an answer.
2022-2-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

While everybody is debating the merits of chinese apps, chinese firmware, and the various methods to retrieve the control app and run on their top secret iphone device containing national secrets, I will be at the RC park flying my drone.  See ya later!
2022-2-5
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 2021-3-23 19:31
Hello and good day Peter Galbavy. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. You can try to download the said application using the following links https://www.dji.com/downloads?site=brandsite&from=footer and https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly or from our official website link at https://www.dji.com/dji-fly. Again I am sorry for this trouble and thank you for understanding.

You forgot to ask if he had a hard crash with the said drone!
2022-2-5
Use props
djiuser_XUJc5iRmWUwO
New

United States

Like another commenter said, My phone is not capable of sideloading apps. It is a work phone and that just isnt possible. Other comments saying to just enable unknown APKs are missing the point, that isn't possible on many android devices.

DJI is really dropping the ball here when it comes to this. A lot of people can't sideload apps.
2022-2-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_XUJc5iRmWUwO Posted at 2-18 16:36
Like another commenter said, My phone is not capable of sideloading apps. It is a work phone and that just isnt possible. Other comments saying to just enable unknown APKs are missing the point, that isn't possible on many android devices.

DJI is really dropping the ball here when it comes to this. A lot of people can't sideload apps.

Why are you using a work phone? If they allow it, ask your IT guy to install it.
2022-2-18
Use props
Mrpete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 604068 ft
United States

For some reason I’m hosed here too.  Worked fine for years.   
2022-2-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

. . . . . . . . . .
2022-2-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Like another commenter said, My phone is not capable of sideloading apps. It is a work phone and that just isnt possible. Other comments saying to just enable unknown APKs are missing the point, that isn't possible on many android devices.

I do understand that some company phones will have this feature disabled so the security cannot be compromised, not 3 apps anyway, well, that's the idea.

You only have 1 other option, buy a 2nd user phone or tablet, the Tab S2 is cheap enough, just make sure its not an earlier version as they too cannot run the latest app, no matter, whichever you think of buying, try to go a few models up if you can afford it cause there is no telling how long that will last.
2022-2-24
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

How is DJI dropping the ball on this one? They have made an app, the app works(mostly), and they make the app available to the public.

In this case, they have done what they can and process is blocked by Google and your IT.
2022-2-25
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

I empathize with Android users, but this is really on Google...  At least Android users have the ability to sideload apps - on iOS that isn't even an option !!!   I've had iOS apps disappear from the Apple Store and there's nothing you can do about it.
2022-2-25
Use props
FlyingOverABQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103245 ft
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 2-5 07:33
While everybody is debating the merits of chinese apps, chinese firmware, and the various methods to retrieve the control app and run on their top secret iphone device containing national secrets, I will be at the RC park flying my drone.  See ya later!

Huh, this whole discussion has been about running the app on their top secret Android device containing national secrets.
2022-2-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

FlyingOverABQ Posted at 2-25 17:32
Huh, this whole discussion has been about running the app on their top secret Android device containing national secrets.

Grandma's meatball recipe has been leaked.  Thank you drone manufacturer.
2022-2-25
Use props
GB14
New

Israel

I defiantly trust Google much more than i trust a chinese company. I gone return the drone better not take the chance and bring a spy to my phone
2022-3-5
Use props
GB14
New

Israel

TonyPHX Posted at 2-25 20:10
Grandma's meatball recipe has been leaked.  Thank you drone manufacturer.

You can lough until its not funny
2022-3-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

GB14 Posted at 3-5 23:20
You can lough until its not funny

Then I choose to laugh!  
2022-3-6
Use props
djiuser_pu7duLoARvKi
New

Romania

@dji, just cut the crap and comply with rules. Put the app back in the store.
2022-3-24
Use props
djiuser_GvRiQRYckaBH
New

United States

I have Google Advanced protection which blocks sidle loading apps. Was able to use an old phone and erase it first with a throw away email to workaround it. Probably will switch to iPhone but it's a curious thing that DJI leaves this mess for the customer to deal with.

Amazing product otherwise. I would think the people that made this are smart enough to get it back on Google Play but won't for some reason.
2022-4-22
Use props
Nychu5
lvl.1

United States

I'm not comfortable side-loading apps any longer. The fact that DJI is not running their apps through the Google Play Store vetting process is concerning to me. I would feel the same with any other vendor. I've been a big fan of DJI, but this latest development is making me even more skeptical. The only other solution I could envision would be purchasing a dedicated iPhone for use with my DJI stuff, which is annoying as well.
2022-4-27
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

djiuser_zBGYxoic8rtd Posted at 1-30 00:01
Since the mini 2 is now supported by 3rd party apps like Litchi I think my DJI sideloading days are over anyway!

Because I already had DJI Fly installed before trying Mavec I cannot confirm this, but I have a suspicion that 3rd party apps don't provide the ability to pair the drone to the controller and a few other configuration type things that are mandatory in order to use the drone...   I'm thinking that you need to at least register and set up the drone with the Fly app before a 3rd party app will work correctly...

It would be informative if someone could confirm this by trying a 3rd party app out of the box.
2022-4-27
Use props
fans1c403575
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2500003 ft

United States

Dji Go app doesn't work anymore ether what do we do with our phantom 3 throw them away. I have 4 dji drones I will not buy another one
2022-5-26
Use props
djiuser_zraNrIbsvBWl
New

Portugal

Which app to use my dji Mavic pro?
2022-6-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_zraNrIbsvBWl Posted at 6-8 17:23
Which app to use my dji Mavic pro?

You might try googling "DJI Mavic Pro control app".
2022-6-8
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Tuxtard Posted at 2021-3-31 07:23
Yeah, but we don't have a choice. I think that future drones will be released with some kind of cheaper smart controller because I believe that DJI apps will be removed from Apple App Store too.

This aged well.
2022-7-16
Use props
Robby Balboa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 808960 ft
United States

Mats Bohlinsson Posted at 2021-7-21 13:10
Dji Fly is heavily encrypted, one of the worst (or best).
Even google struggles with decompiling it, so there you have it.
Google can't scan it -> not allowed in play store.

Thats not why. The app grants permissions to Update from the Huawei app market. Thats whats not allowed.
2023-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules